Figure skating dress design with an edge | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Figure skating dress design with an edge

gkelly

Record Breaker
Yeah, sure, if you're a high-powered executive, then your time is going to be worth a lot, and your salary will be high enough to get an expensive designer anyway.

But you just have a normal job or especially a zero-paying job like housewife, then maybe saving $5000 to $10000 would be really useful. Of course you won't be making Vera Wang quality dresses, but I'd like to think that in theory, skaters could do just fine with simple and well-fitting costumes.

Well, if you want a simple and well-fitting costume on a budget, you could just wear leotard and wrap skirt for a program where simplicity is appropriate.

Or buy a ready-made stretch-fabric practice dress or not-too-complicated competition-style dress from a number of retailers and add your own stones if you like.

Of course if you're buying online you can't try them on in advance so that might not work if you have an unusual/hard-to-fit body shape that might need custom design or alterations. For typical teenage and preteen sizes, you can usually find a variety in rink pro shops and at vendors' tables at competitions, sometimes in dancewear stores.

It's when you want complex designs with delicate fabrics, especially mixing different kinds, that you need custom made by an expert.

Or if you want a one-of-a-kind dress that's unique to your program and your vision, then you need to either make it yourself or pay to have one made.

If saving money is top priority and don't have even the basic expertise to make a well-constructed dress, and looking neat a close second, then off-the-rack might be the way to go.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Yeah, sure, if you're a high-powered executive, then your time is going to be worth a lot, and your salary will be high enough to get an expensive designer anyway.

But you just have a normal job or especially a zero-paying job like housewife, then maybe saving $5000 to $10000 would be really useful. Of course you won't be making Vera Wang quality dresses, but I'd like to think that in theory, skaters could do just fine with simple and well-fitting costumes.

While I admit this is a tangent/rant, while it's true that housewives don't make money, it's not accurate to act like what they provide for a family has no monetary value or like their time is worth nothing, especially if they live in the USA and any kids are under 5. In that case the family is probably saving at least 10,000 on childcare costs by not having to pay for outside childcare, and in many areas (or for care that's actually good) it's substantially more- in the Washington DC area where I used to live, good luck finding any care that isn't total crap for less than 25k a year, no joke, and that is per child. I know people who have quit work because their job did not make enough for them to be able to afford daycare at a place they'd feel comfortable leaving their kids. So I don't think that just because these women (or men) aren't making money in a traditional sense their time is worth nothing either.

brightphoton

Medalist
While I admit this is a tangent/rant, while it's true that housewives don't make money, it's not accurate to act like what they provide for a family has no monetary value or like their time is worth nothing, especially if they live in the USA and any kids are under 5. In that case the family is probably saving at least 10,000 on childcare costs by not having to pay for outside childcare, and in many areas (or for care that's actually good) it's substantially more- in the Washington DC area where I used to live, good luck finding any care that isn't total crap for less than 25k a year, no joke, and that is per child. I know people who have quit work because their job did not make enough for them to be able to afford daycare at a place they'd feel comfortable leaving their kids. So I don't think that just because these women (or men) aren't making money in a traditional sense their time is worth nothing either.

$25,000 minimum per child? Hahaha, what a racket, I should have started a child care center.

Sam L

Medalist
If all men suit up that would be really dull. Seriously. I love that in figure skating they can wear feathers and rhinestones and blingbling.:biggrin:
Most of girls dress designs copy the real time evening dresses by various high fashion designers. How exactly you can lure them into wearing winter coats instead? I doubt all could wear fur- lots of anumal lovers would be upset over it.

Not modern suits but the old fashioned suits. I like the outfits that men like Panin and Salchow used to wear.

Thank you. It's beautiful.

I thought Yulia's Schindler's List dress was quite wintry.

Yes, that's a model of what I'm talking about.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes and no... sure, at an elite senior level a dress costs in the thousands, but take the poster here with a 7 year old who paid 200 for a dress. Assuming the person doesn't know how to sew already, by the time you buy a sewing machine, learn how to use it, buy the fabric, mess up a few times, and actually finish it, you'd be out way more than 200 dollars, even more if you believe time is worth something, not worth nothing. You'd also have to design the dress, worry about selecting the right fabric, worry about your kid being able to move in the dress, even worry about the dress fitting, and so on. If a designer messes that stuff up,they have to fix the dress for you. If you mess it up, you have to fix it yourself. Granted the sewing machine is a one time cost and I imagine the learning curve is relatively steep and the second dress you made would go smoother. But all the same, especially if a woman (or man) believes her time is not worth nothing, has another job, isn't very creative/design minded, in early years you might really be spending more, perhaps even much more, to do this yourself. Fabric isn't cheap and clothing design and making is not necessarily fast, especially if you lack experience. And by the time costume cost in the thousands of dollars, honestly, you're probably still not going to be 'good' enough to give your kid the really professional looking costume you'd like to and to some degree you're going to get what you pay/don't pay for- a costume that may be serviceable but is not one of the nicest ones out there.

I am the aforementioned poster who paid $200 for my daughter's dress, so of course I have to comment on your post - to say that I totally agree with you and I can confirm what you say as truth. For one thing, I can't sew or knit or crochet or latch hook to save my life - I'm a lost cause when it comes to any sort of handicraft and would probably end up throwing a sewing machine out a third storey window if I ever attempted to use it to make a skating dress, or anything for that matter.

My grandmother tried to teach me how to knit as a child and she got so flustered with me and we gave up, mainly because I'm left handed and she's right handed, so I think being a lefty had a lot to do with my ineptitude with handicrafts. But I digress.

I'd rather pay someone who knows what they're doing to make a dress for my daughter than attempt to learn how to make one on my own. I have a full time career on top of all our extra curricular activities, so there isn't any time in the world for me to patiently learn how to sew. Because you're right, I would be out more than $200 if I attempted it myself.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
As I am the aforementioned poster who paid $200 for my daughter's dress, so of course I have to comment on your post - to say that I totally agree with you and I can confirm what you say as truth. For one thing, I can't sew or knit or crochet or latch hook to save my life - I'm a lost cause when it comes to any sort of handicraft and would probably end up throwing a sewing machine out a third storey window if I ever attempted to use it to make a skating dress, or anything for that matter.

My grandmother tried to teach me how to knit as a child and she got so flustered with me and we gave up, mainly because I'm left handed and she's right handed, so I think being a lefty had a lot to do with my ineptitude with handicrafts. But I digress.

I'd rather pay someone who knows what they're doing to make a dress for my daughter than attempt to learn how to make one on my own. I have a full time career on top of all our extra curricular activities, so there isn't any time in the world for me to patiently learn how to sew. Because you're right, I would be out more than $200 if I attempted it myself.

Agree... It is only worth sewing such stuff if you already have the skill - or plan doing it as a long term thing (for example, you actually want to start sewing).
As a side note, sewing for kids is rather fun, way more interesting that the "normal" clothes. For example, i sew random party gowns for my little nephew - its like dressing up a doll, as the dress is smaller than adult size, so less fabric and less time on boring stuff, and the kids are also not sooo picky as teenagers for example, and get very happy with all new stuff =) it´s like sewing stuff for dolls <3 If she skated, i would totally make her skating gowns in my free time while she is small.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I am the aforementioned poster who paid $200 for my daughter's dress, so of course I have to comment on your post - to say that I totally agree with you and I can confirm what you say as truth. For one thing, I can't sew or knit or crochet or latch hook to save my life - I'm a lost cause when it comes to any sort of handicraft and would probably end up throwing a sewing machine out a third storey window if I ever attempted to use it to make a skating dress, or anything for that matter.

Machine sewing is quite different from handcrafts. You can be good at one and not the other. Or good at both or bad at both.

I think the only way sewing makes sense is if you either enjoy it (so will happily do it for free) or have lots and lots of free time. If you value your time at all, making garments from scratch just doesn't make economic sense.

The only sewing I do that makes economic sense is mending. We do a lot of outdoor activities that are very hard on clothes. It is easy to rip the knee out of a brand new pair of pants that cost $50 to $100, and equally easy to fix the rip, especially if they're hiking clothes and you don't care if the mending/patching shows or isn't perfect.

The only other sewing I do is for one-of-a-kind items that are impossible to buy. I think I enjoy it, though there are times that I get stuck and wonder about that.

I commend you for knowing what you're good at and sticking to it!