Elene Gedevanishvili for pair/dance | Golden Skate

Elene Gedevanishvili for pair/dance

naplesskater

Rinkside
What do you think about Elene Gedevanishvili in pair/dance skating?
According to me, the Georgian star has great potentialities if she works with a male partner.

tulosai

Record Breaker
What do you think about Elene Gedevanishvili in pair/dance skating?
According to me, the Georgian star has great potentialities if she works with a male partner.

I really like Elene and always have but I think she is just probably old to successfully make this transition. I'd never say never- if she really put her mind to it and was passionate there's some chance she could do it, but she's 26 and I think her career will soon be officially over.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really like Elene and always have but I think she is just probably old to successfully make this transition. I'd never say never- if she really put her mind to it and was passionate there's some chance she could do it, but she's 26 and I think her career will soon be officially over.

I'm guessing you're right as far as her individual goals and possibly retiring soon, but I will say Valentina Marchei went from singles to pairs at, was it 28? And that's worked out well.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm guessing you're right as far as her individual goals and possibly retiring soon, but I will say Valentina Marchei went from singles to pairs at, was it 28? And that's worked out well.

I actually thought of her as a counter-example while I was typing and it's actually what caused me to say never say never, but first, I do think Valentina had the significant advantage of happening upon an available partner from her own country who she did happen to be very compatible with. Second, I also do think she picked up on many of the pairs elements more quickly than most people in her situation would. And finally, I can't readily think of a single other example of a female skater who picked up pairs (or actually dance) after the age of 24, at least successfully (even being very generous with any definition of success).

Now Elena does have some qualities that might bode well if she wanted to try, most notably her height and also her expression on the ice and lines, which might translate well to a pairs partnership, and in fact benefit her even more than in her singles skating, at least if the guy also had some expression and good lines. But she would also have a lot working against her- age, lack of experience, jumps that have totally fallen apart (even her toes are wonky now), her country of citizenship.

hanca

Record Breaker
I think she is too late for ice dance. She could be still relatively succesful in pairs, especially if there is no decent pair in her country. I say relatively, because I think it is too late to think about podium at Olympics in pairs, but I could see her in fifth at the Europeans within a few years. She would need an experienced and strong pair male partner though. If she started with a beginner, it wouldn't lead anywhere. (I am saying fifth at the Europeans because I don't think she would have chance to beat the Russian pairs or Aliona/Bruno, but she could get good enough to beat the others).

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think she is too late for ice dance. She could be still relatively succesful in pairs, especially if there is no decent pair in her country. I say relatively, because I think it is too late to think about podium at Olympics in pairs, but I could see her in fifth at the Europeans within a few years. She would need an experienced and strong pair male partner though. If she started with a beginner, it wouldn't lead anywhere. (I am saying fifth at the Europeans because I don't think she would have chance to beat the Russian pairs or Aliona/Bruno, but she could get good enough to beat the others).

Alper Ucar from Turkey switched to Ice Dancing when he was about Elene's curent age back in 2010. I don't think that Gedevanishvili needs partner with Georgian passport, Alper represents Turkey with Alisa Agafonova who previously skated for Ukraine with Dmitri Dun.

naplesskater

Rinkside
Moris Kvitelashvili or Nodari Maisurzdaze ?

both could try out a skate with her and get their georgian passport
both are in fact a russian of georgian roots too

As said above, she needs a companion well experienced in pair. Nodari Maisurzdaze has a compatible outline.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
she could get mervin tran ;) he travels a lot i hear...

or as a matter of fact, since Canadian males skate for many countries right now including denmark, japan, USA, armenia etc.... why not another one for georgia?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
i decided it to look at this thread. it seems so random like what about Alaine Chartrand skaitng pairs or dance. Perhaps a zealous fan but as far as i know i have not seen ahint orf interest or flair for pairs or dance nor are hier edges that remarkable or twizzels. Seems like a nice, good single skater but there is nothing to suggest she has n interest or should go into pairs or dance. You coudl randomly almost ask this about any lady skater it is not l ike sheis Megan Duhamel who has some skill and link to singles skating or someskater of perfect size and edging and skate quality for dance. The other thing who nknows if she will be good at timing and lines with another skater. That is something which is harder to judge.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Is she retired from singles now? Or is she not entered in Worlds for some other reason??

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Alper Ucar from Turkey switched to Ice Dancing when he was about Elene's curent age back in 2010. I don't think that Gedevanishvili needs partner with Georgian passport, Alper represents Turkey with Alisa Agafonova who previously skated for Ukraine with Dmitri Dun.

Well i guess we have a loaded proposition. First, i suppose there was no presumption she had to be competitive because yes, obviously if you represent a country with not much skating or dance it will be easier so to speak to switch. Second, there was i guess expectation of how good she would be. Good for Alper though he wasn't really know for singles and still isn't known for dance but it is easy or easier when there is no competition. Sadly in some ways with so many rules including qualifying scores we no longer see a team like from india - remember that pairs team that some times fell just trying to skate backwards.
she can still win her nationals though i think as a singles skater.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Well i guess we have a loaded proposition. First, i suppose there was no presumption she had to be competitive because yes, obviously if you represent a country with not much skating or dance it will be easier so to speak to switch. Second, there was i guess expectation of how good she would be. Good for Alper though he wasn't really know for singles and still isn't known for dance but it is easy or easier when there is no competition. Sadly in some ways with so many rules including qualifying scores we no longer see a team like from india - remember that pairs team that some times fell just trying to skate backwards.
she can still win her nationals though i think as a singles skater.

I think Ucar is known for dance but maybe it's just me? He and Agafonova, even if not exactly crushing the competition, consistently enter and place decently in enough competitions that I think they are quite well known to most not-totally-casual ice dance fans. In fact their results on the whole are better than Elene's lately, which is very sad indeed given how much potential she once had, but true.