Firus, Séguin/Bilodeau withdraw from Worlds | Golden Skate

Firus, Séguin/Bilodeau withdraw from Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I will refrain from repeating my comments from other threads. Bottom line:

Many big hugs to Liam. :ghug: :ghug: :ghug: :ghug: :ghug: :ghug: :ghug: :ghug: :ghug: :ghug:

Sorry about Julianne and Charlie.

Hope Nam and Kirsten/Michael do well in Boston.

andyjo24

Medalist
Wow Liam! That is NOT an easy decision to make at all..... :shocked:

I now have high respect for this dude. I hope he will improve a lot this summer and clinch onto that 3rd spot next year! :agree:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Too bad. Really. Liam's decision is... I bet he has been advised to WD. And I hope he gets the chance to go to Worlds next year or later. When you get this kind of chance and let it go it's just...:noshake:
I will truly miss Seguin Bilodeau, do they have enough time to recover before TCC, if they go at all?

Weathergal

Medalist
So sad to hear about both withdrawals! I was really enjoying watching Seguin/Bilodeau this season. I know Juliaane's been injured, but is Liam also injured? I don't quite understand his statement.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Too bad. Really. Liam's decision is... I bet he has been advised to WD. And I hope he gets the chance to go to Worlds next year or later. When you get this kind of chance and let it go it's just...:noshake:
I will truly miss Seguin Bilodeau, do they have enough time to recover before TCC, if they go at all?

So sad to hear about both withdrawals! I was really enjoying watching Seguin/Bilodeau this season. I know Juliaane's been injured, but is Liam also injured? I don't quite understand his statement.

(1) Team North America at TCC has one slot for a Canadian pair. Duhamel/Radford have accepted the invitation to be Canada's pair.

(2a) I think it is safe to assume that Liam is not injured, based on his statement.

(2b) Based on the wording of the statement, I do not think it is fair to Liam to say that he "let it go" -- "it" being his Worlds slot.
IMO, far more likely that the exact opposite happened. YMMV.​

Rissa

Record Breaker
Wow, I'm massively impressed bg Liam Firus' decision. Very few people would find it in them to step aside for the greater good like that. The greater good which is not guarnteed either. I really hope Nam will not disappoint and together with Patrick will manage to get the 3 spots for Canada.

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I too am very surprised by the Firus withdrawal. He has never been to worlds, but he was the third man on the Canadian team for the 2014 Olympics, where he finished 28th. I thought at the time that Skate Canada should have sent the man who finished 4th at Canadians, Eladj Balde, instead.

Liam seems to do better at Canadian nationals than he does at international events. I didn't think he skated that well at Canadian nationals this year, and a lot of people questioned the judging that put him second.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I for one am disappointed in the Canadian Fed appearing to force this decision on Liam. I have no horse in the race, because Elladj Balde remains my fav Canadian skater and he's not going, period, but I am not convinced Nam, at least this season, is the answer to their dilemma. And if they didn't score Liam correctly at Nats, well, now is the time to live with that rather than encourage a withdrawal. A shame:disapp:

ETA: posted here before reading the thread in World's discussing the same subject; glad to see others feel Liam got the short end of the stick, and very sorry for Liam that he did.

Last edited:

skatefan22

Medalist
I don't understand... Liam can go to Worlds in a month, then he chose to wait till another year and it is not for sure if he can really be on the world team next year... Why?

lyndichee

Medalist
I didn't want Liam to go to Worlds, but I highly doubt any skater would give up this opportunity if they were healthy. If he made the decision on his own then I have massive respect for him but I don't think he did.

Skate Canada gives him 2nd place at Nationals (insane PCS he would never get on the international scene), publish that he is on the Worlds team, don't give an opportunity for Kevin/Nam/Liam to skate off at 4CC or anywhere internationally and then he "let's go" of his spot for the country? I didn't even like the original decision but this makes me mad for him. If skating truly is a passion for him then I don't think he would willingly give up that valuable spot. This sounds absolutely ridiculous.

I am so sad Seguin and Bilodeau withdrew :cry: They exude happiness when they skate. I don't think D/R will claim the world title again so I wonder if I/M can get top 10 to keep 3 spots for Canadian pairs.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I'm very disappointed with this situation, it does seem like Liam was forced, Skate Canada propped him up and now they're ditching him. Nam is definitely the better choice but poor Liam, shouldn't have named him to the team and then forced him to give it up. So disappointed in my country's federation right now. I hope Patrick and Nam will skate lights out and get back that 3rd spot for Canada.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sad for S/B - my favourite team this year. :( Hopefully Julianne is on the mend and will be ready to go next season. I'm so disappointed that I won't get to see them skate their SP again!

I'm shocked about Liam. While I too was one of the people questioning his ability to keep Canada's three spots in tact, why would Skate Canada immediately announce him to the world team in January after nationals, only to pressure him to withdrawal almost two months later? It seems bizarre. I'm not sure Nam will be able to do any better with all the issues he's had this season.

Actually, how come they didn't offer the spot to Kevin? He was third at nationals.

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Sad for S/B - my favourite team this year. :( Hopefully Julianne is on the mend and will be ready to go next season. I'm so disappointed that I won't get to see them skate their SP again!

I'm shocked about Liam. While I too was one of the people questioning his ability to keep Canada's three spots in tact, why would Skate Canada immediately announce him to the world team in January after nationals, only to pressure him to withdrawal almost two months later? It seems bizarre. I'm not sure Nam will be able to do any better with all the issues he's had this season.

Actually, how come they didn't offer the spot to Kevin? He was third at nationals.

Well his score in Skate Canada was really high in comparition with his best in International competition. Maybe they were waiting to see how he will do in 4CC. But even when I´m a fairly CCC brothers fan I feel for Liam, not sure if he will be in the same situation to compete in Worlds.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

He didn't meet the TES minimum in the SP, unfortunately.

I am surprised there are people here who really thinks this was Liam's choice. Just 2 days ago he tweeted about TCC:

@Liam_Firus
If you guys want to see me represent team North america at Challenge cup, vote here!!! http://www.teamchallengecup.com/captainspick #poll via @pollcaster_

Why would he drop out of Worlds 2 days later and say it's about getting 3 spots? This also means he is ineligible for TCC. Why would he throw both opportunities away? His explanation doesn't make any sense and was typical PC doublespeak. I very much doubt he wrote it himself.

I'm not his fan at all, but SC really screwed up with the judging at Nats and by deciding on their team so early. First they were unfair to Nam & it's good that at least he's getting a little redemption, but ultimately both of them were treated really poorly. Skaters aren't pawns that you can just switch around at whim. If they waited to decide on the team after 4CC, that would have made more sense.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker

I was just about to ask about Kevin. Is he injured? If not, I don't understand why they didn't ask him.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
He didn't meet the TES minimum in the SP, unfortunately.

Oh, I see. Thank you. I wonder if that's likely why Kevin did the Budapest Cup this past weekend, in attempt to obtain the minimum TES for worlds? If that's the case then Skate Canada must've been planning this for a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.