View Poll Results: Which music do you wish would never be used again?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • West Side Story

16 16.49%
  • Carmen

14 14.43%
  • Swan Lake

30 30.93%
  • Don Quixote

10 10.31%
  • Nessum Dorma

1 1.03%
  • Malaguena

7 7.22%
  • Bolero

8 8.25%
  • other

11 11.34%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which music do you wish would never be used again?

Medalist

Which music do you wish would never be used again?

Which pieces of music make you think "Oh, no, not THAT again!"?

West Side Story - I don't like the music & have never seen a perfornance of it that I really liked.

Carmen - I like the music, but I'm just tired of it.

Swan Lake - too may atrocious costumes

Don Quixote - Who's going to do better than John Curry?

Nessum Dorma - Who' s going to do better than the Chinese pair?

Malaguena - I still like it, but others may be sick of it

Bolero - Who can hear this & not think of T&D. I though Abt's version of it was weird, & EP's SP a few years ago just boring.
    Last edited by Eliza; 06-26-2004 at 09:12 AM.

how about all of the above? wow this one is tough... I'll have to think about this one

Definitely Tosca. I never liked this piece of music and after Michelle's last season program I can't even listen it.
    Many of us remember Irina's Tosca as best and I think M.K. didn't choose well this time.

Skating Freak Barbie
    If I never hear anything from "Carmen" again, I'll die a happy girl!

Custom Title
    I don't mind so-called overused music. I'd hate to think I wouldn't have seen Shizuka Arakawa's Turandot at Worlds, Sasha Cohen's Malaguena, Ilia Klimkin's Swan Lake or Sasha' Cohen's Campbells version of Swan Lake as well, just because other skaters had used that music before.

Custom Title
    I chose West Side Story but Carmen is a close second b/c everytime I hear Carmen, I think of Kat Witt. Her Carmen was the definative Carmen for me.

As for Don Quixote, I didn't care for John Curry's version but I loved Viktor Petrenko's version of Don Quixote.

On the Ice
    i voted for swan lake...it needs a couple (maybe 40) years rest. a lil overkill on it.

I demand an automtic 1.0 deduction from the total CoP schore if a skater is on the ice to any of the above mentioned tunes.

Joe

Custom Title
    Why wasn't "ALL OF THE ABOVE" an option?

They should all be consigned to musical limbo. PLEASE!!!!

On the Ice
    I remember watching an episode of Evening with Champions one night and seeing no less than four.
    Sarah Hughes
    Takeshi Honda
    Scott Hamilton
    Lyudmila & Oleg Protopopov

and then coming in the next day to the rink, complaining about it the next day to my friend Masha, and HEARING THAT HER SISTER WATED TO USE IT FOR AN INTERMEDIATE LADIES FREE SKATE!

So yeah, that kinda turned me off to that music.

Custom Title
    I voted "other". I'm tired of the Turandot's and Tosca's. They are wonderful pieces but I think that they are/were being a little bit overused recently.

Acutally, I'm sad that West Side Story was on option! I really like that music and the only people I've seen that have skated to it were Tanith and Ben, and they skated extremely well to it.

I haven't heard any Carmen's for a while. Except Bebe Liang's short at Nationals, and it wasn't the typical "Carmen" music. I think that music can stay in the closet for another couple of years though.

Nessum Dorma? I haven't heard of that, is that by Puccini?

I really like Malaguena, but I think Sasha's was AWESOME and no one should skate to it for a while.

Swan Lake is of course beautiful music but it needs to be put away for at least 5 years!

Bolero-It seems like someone chooses this music every year, I'm getting so used to it that I don't even notice it anymore! lol

Custom Title
    I agree with Joesitz, All of the music should be no longer allowed. Maybe that would encourage the skaters to take risks and use more creative pieces. The same overused music is getting boring and the skaters seem stuck in a rut. Ya know, playing it safe so the judges dont have to expand their knowledge of someone being creative and doing something different. Heaven forbid the old guys and gals stick in the muds would grow. ,

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Gosh, there was no choice for "all of the above!".

I chose other, just because you seemed to have touched upon some of the many over-used Operas, Ballets, Broadway shows and classical pieces, but didn't have any representative from the ever so many "If I have to hear this one more time I'll kill someone!" movie soundtracks. Take your pick from : Out of Africa, Lawrence of Arabia, Legends of the Fall, The Mummy, Dr. Zhivago, Robin Hood, Sense and Sensibility, Much Ado About Nothing, 1492 Conquest, Braveheart, Tango de Roxanne, The Man in the Iron Mask, The Untouchables, Swing Kids, Schindler's List, etc...

Medalist
    Other than the classical bits I put in the poll, I'm really tired of anything by Michael Jackson, Wind Beneath My Wings, & What A Wonderful World.

Eliza

Rogue Leader
    I actually still love hearing Carmen. It's great music. What I'd really like is for all disciplines to allow for vocals. if you want more variety, that's a great way to get it. I think it's helped dance a lot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast