Which music do you wish would never be used again? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which music do you wish would never be used again?

Which music do you wish would never be used again?

• West Side Story

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Carmen

Votes: 14 14.4%
  • Swan Lake

Votes: 30 30.9%
  • Don Quixote

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • Nessum Dorma

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Malaguena

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Bolero

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • other

Votes: 11 11.3%

• Total voters

Glacierskater

On the Ice
All of the above...there is so much music in the world...I would say "skate outside the rink", but that would be difficult. I do find myself appreciating new and different music.

astarz41

Rinkside
None of the above. I think it's ridiculous to "ban" a piece of music. These compositions are used so often because they are timeless, they're the best. They're not used so often for nothing. Skaters can choose any music they want for any reason they might have. It's not easy to use this music because the skater has to be "worthy of it" for it to work. But when they are it's interesting to see what interpretation each skater can come up with. It's a lot easier to find an obscure piece of music and add some "bizarre" choreo to it and claim to be "original."

Btw, I don't think T/D own Bolero in any way. I don't even think their FD was that incredible anyways (don't hit me) That music can be interpreted in many other ways so why "settle" for T/D's interpretation?

Last edited:

Chrystia Mee

Rinkside
This is brilliant! Very amusing.

West Side Story - If I ever hear anyone skate to this again! People keep saying Jenny Kirk should do it, but I'm praying noone will. it's overused and I;ve yet to see a WSS story program I like.

Carmen - Didn't like it before, and still don't. I don't see its appeal to be honest.

Swan Lake - I agree with atrocious costume comment. And I've had my share of Swan Lake this past season. I loved Sasha's original version, but I haevn't watched it in forever. Disliked the music cuts with Robin wagner, which reminds me I didn't like Sarah hughes Swan Lake either. Didn't care for McDonough's. I don't think this music is really doing any skaters much good lately, so I woudl say it is time to place this on the shelf to collect dust.

Don Quixote - John Curry did it well. Since then.....errr.....there have bene some interesting interpretations, but I don't really think this music will ever be done justice by anyone else.

Nessum Dorma/Turandot- I love this opera. I love it, but at this point I think it would be crazy to touch. Noone is ever going to be able to do this better than Shen and ZHao. Truly magical performance! I appreciated Shizuka's performance though this year.

Malaguena - I actually love this music. Sasha did a great job at Worlds with it this year. But I could use a break from it. Two Seasons, then someone can use it again. Sasha has used it for two seasons so I think it has lived it's life for the time being.

Bolero - I could probably live with hearing it again. But it isn't my first choice for the overused music list to be heard AGAIN this upcoming season.,

Tosca- Overused as well. I am probably one of the few that didn't like Irina's Tosca. And I love Michelle with all my heart but i hope we've seen the last of her using traditional everyone does them music. She works better with more original music.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I did not vote, because I have no problems with listening to any of the music mentioned above again and again, LOL. The skater as well as the choreography is every time new. What I don´t like is seeing the same programme repeated the next season again. Also I prefer versatile skaters that use different types of music and have programmes that really look different from previous seasons.

Marjaana

shine

Record Breaker
WWS- simply because I can't stand the music, never mind having to watch skaters skate to it. Otherwise the other choices are all gorgeous music and I don't mind listening to them again and again as long as the skater does a good job at intepreting it. I'm all for overused classical music if the skater can actually bring something new to it or make their skating as beautiful as the music is. For example, I'm still waiting for someone to skate to Valse Triste as beautifully and mesmerize me as Rakhamo & Kokko did in 1993. I think it would be really stupid if the ISU just suddenly decided to ban these "overused" music. There's no limit to musical intepretation and if we don't give skaters a chance, we will never see what we could have seen otherwise. I didn't know doing Carmen the way K&O did was possible after Witt, Petrenko and all the others before them.
I'm less tolerant to soundtracks though.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I voted for "other", specifically having the music from "Gone With The Wind" in mind. Granted, this music is not DONE TO DEATH like some of the other selections, but as far as I'm concerned, anyone using it once was too often. IMO it just does not lend itself to good programs; the rhythm structure, if you care to call it that, is just wrong and every program I've seen done to it has just been a yawner.

Now for the selections:

West Side Story -- What I think is even more overdone than the music is the fact that everyone who skates to it (T & M being an exception) feels COMPELLED to do the finger-snapping thing. How truly original. :sheesh: :sheesh:

Malaguena -- I love this music, but it IS overdone. Unless someone has a revelutionary new interpretation of it that makes me absolutely gasp, then put it away. Sasha's was fine, but I'm personally at my limit with this one.

Bolero -- The only interpretation of this one even worth mentioning is Torvill & Dean's. Partly because they used a decent orchestration of it, and partly because they served the music well and let the program build. Every subsequent usage of this I've seen since uses terrible orchestrations of it and starts in the middle of the piece and the total effect is just all wrong. I think this was taken to entirely new heights by Plushenko -- I know a lot of people love HIS Bolero SP, but I am not one of them. Had he started off with a slower portion of the music and skated accordingly, it may have worked, but instead he used a LET'S DIVE RIGHT INTO THE FAST PORTION approach and as far as I was concerned it was the figure skating equivelant of Lucy and Ethel in the chocolate factory as Plushy's rushing around out there like a maniac trying to keep up with his music.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I voted for West Side Story. I have never seen a good performance of it yet and it made it worse because of that.

Dee

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
All of the above!!! I absolutely hate when skaters just re-use the same old music that's been done and done and done. There are so many beautiful pieces of music in the world. There's no need to do the same old thing again and again. If I had to pick just one, though, it would be Carmen.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I voted for Don Q, because I dislike the music. I'd add Liebestraum as well, even if John Curry (DQ) and Mishkutienok/Dmitriev (L) performed my two of my all-time favorite programs to these pieces. If I like the music, I don't care who uses it or how many times it's used, as long as it's not the elevator music version.

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
I voted "other", because I'm totally sick of small children skating to "All that Jazz" from Chicago, which is totally inappropriate for them anyway. I'm also bored of "Cats". I suppose they do have the merit that the judges know what they are.....