Ice Girls | Golden Skate

Ice Girls

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I saw a movie the other night called "Ice Girls" starring none other than Elvis Stojko as a skating coach and Tessa Virtue had a bit part. It was filmed in Ontario and is about a couple of rival young skaters. It was pretty good. The skating of course was good and was very realistic about the figure skating world and competitive skating. Here is the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIEsFlmcTT0

:popcorn:

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I watched and found it to be a lot better than I thought it would be. I was not expecting Elvis and Tessa to have as much air time as they did. Tessa had 2 cameos, the one entirely predictable (encouraging speech to young skater) but the other was more natural and fun (I won't spoil). Elvis, on the other hand, had a lot of time on screen. It was a major role and he handled it well. I most enjoyed him on ice teaching her.
The usual plot (promising skater gets injury;family faces financial hardship; will she fight back to get on a podium?) and characters (rival ice princess, overbearing skate parent, potential love interest, coach who believes, etc.) but still, it was pretty well done and I can think of worse ways to spend an evening.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i want to watch it too! i am curious about how Michaela did, i find her very pretty on ice and she is very promising :luv17: didnt know she was competing for canada until she switched

Spinning

On the Ice
i want to watch it too! i am curious about how Michaela did, i find her very pretty on ice and she is very promising :luv17: didnt know she was competing for canada until she switched

REALLY? Saw her competed for team GB when she she was young(er). MAYBE Novice?

She is definitely a good looking kid.:luv17:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The video is geoblocked. :eek:hwell:
Sounds like it would be a good movie.

FYI:
In the OP for the previous thread about this movie, skatechase said that at a later date, Ice Girls will be released in several other countries, including the U.S.

I watched and found it to be a lot better than I thought it would be. I was not expecting Elvis and Tessa to have as much air time as they did. Tessa had 2 cameos, the one entirely predictable (encouraging speech to young skater) but the other was more natural and fun (I won't spoil). Elvis, on the other hand, had a lot of time on screen. It was a major role and he handled it well. I most enjoyed him on ice teaching her.
The usual plot (promising skater gets injury;family faces financial hardship; will she fight back to get on a podium?) and characters (rival ice princess, overbearing skate parent, potential love interest, coach who believes, etc.) but still, it was pretty well done and I can think of worse ways to spend an evening.

Thx for the review, Scrufflet :cool: :popcorn:.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
REALLY? Saw her competed for team GB when she she was young(er). MAYBE Novice?

She is definitely a good looking kid.:luv17:

i might have misread it :slink::biggrin: there isnt many info about her :hopelessness:

Barb

Record Breaker

like me wasting 99 min watching ¨London has fallen.¨

About ice girls seem interesting, especially because Elvis and Tessa.

Spinning

On the Ice
i might have misread it :slink::biggrin: there isnt many info about her :hopelessness:

She has been around for a long time. I remember seeing her in one of the either Canadian or American fs boot camp video. Your info could be correct as well. ;)

tulosai

Record Breaker
like me wasting 99 min watching ¨London has fallen.¨

About ice girls seem interesting, especially because Elvis and Tessa.

I actually found London Has Fallen enjoyable :) It wasn't profound or something I'd watch again but I thought it was a fine way to spend 90 min.

I'll have to add Ice Girls to my list.

Weathergal

Medalist

Michaela Du Toit competes for South Africa. She was 18th in this year's 4CCs. She trains in Canada.

I just checked her ISU bio, and she was born in the UK so, like many of our beloved competitors, she's a global citizen!

Thanks for the info everyone--I'll have to look for this movie when it comes to the U.S.

skatechase

Spectator
I watched the movie and enjoyed it. I agree that the plot was somewhat predictable but it was refreshing to watch a movie that used real skaters. Elvis, did a pretty good job and it is obvious he can still skate. Both girls were very good but I was more impressed with the other skater. I thought Taylor Hunsley was more graceful and musical than Michaela du Toit. I thought her spins in general were stronger as well. I'm not sure why she didn't compete at Canadian nationals this year but I heard she was injured. Too bad as she has real potential. Hopefully, Michaela will skate well at junior worlds, she too has potential.