Who will break Yuna Kim's record and when? | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Who will break Yuna Kim's record and when?

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Im still waiting for someone here to show up with recalculated Yuna's score and actually check when the record was beaten.

Found it.

"Just for mere curiosity, I re-calculated Yuna's Vancouver marks with the current BV and GOE scale and it turned out to be 144.76 (BV:60.07, TES:73.00, PCS:71.76. I converted SpSq4 and SlSt3 to ChSq1 and StSq4 respectively which decreases BV by 0.8. I haven't doubled checked, not gonna guarantee the correctness though). Well, I don't know what this means, I think it still can't be compared directly to the current score because of other changes happened over the time, but it's an interesting fact to know"

Originally posted by member Perdita. The 38th response to the thread "Will Mao make it to 2018 OG"

I remember someone did it already but I don't remember it is here or in the other thread, I try to find it and copy the message. IIRC, if we re-do the math using today's (15-16 season) rules, 150.06 would become some thing like 142 only. So it has been broken a few time already LOL

LOL is right. I think we all have too much time on our hands.

The record LP high score has not been broken a few times. It was broken 4 weeks ago by Medvedeva.

andyjo24

Medalist
People fail to note that numbers don't mean anything...

It's all about how the performance captures your heart IMO.

For me, Yuna's 2010 Olympics FS was absolutely legendary in every way possible and captured my heart. As for Evgenia, she is extremely solid, but when I watch her, I just think "wow. She's so good and consistent." Did it capture my heart? Not really. It was a very impressive skate, but do I want to go back and watch her performance time and time again? Nope...

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Found it.

"Just for mere curiosity, I re-calculated Yuna's Vancouver marks with the current BV and GOE scale and it turned out to be 144.76 (BV:60.07, TES:73.00, PCS:71.76. I converted SpSq4 and SlSt3 to ChSq1 and StSq4 respectively which decreases BV by 0.8. I haven't doubled checked, not gonna guarantee the correctness though). Well, I don't know what this means, I think it still can't be compared directly to the current score because of other changes happened over the time, but it's an interesting fact to know"

Originally posted by member Perdita. The 38th response to the thread "Will Mao make it to 2018 OG"

She probably would have gotten a few extra points on PCS, since that mark has become inflated since 2010. She probably also would have made adjustments in her tech if she was competing against someone like Evgenia. I assume that if she had really wanted to, she could have trained and gotten a consistent 3-loop to make up for the limit on double axels. Or maybe there was some other way, but I'll leave that to the IJS geniuses.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
BTW, an equally interesting calculation would be to recalculate Evgenia's score under Yu Na's rules. For one thing, Rippon's and 'tanos were not bullet points that by themselves drove an extra +1 in GOE.

Last edited:

blargmonster

Rinkside
i dont really understand people who only calculate the Tech score as if that would be the only adjustments made when adjusting 2010 Yuna's scores to today's standards while completely ignoring that Goe's and PC's has been inflating aka, Yuna scoring 148 at 2013 worlds with an easier layout than in 2010. Yuna got 71.76 and 73.61 in PCs for those scores respectively while Evgenia recently scored 73.34 at her debut worlds, lets let that sink in for a sec lol. The question is how would 2010 Yuna be scored components wise compared to Evgenia or even Sochi Yuna in today's standards?

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i dont really understand people who only calculate the Tech score as if that would be the only adjustments made when adjusting 2010 Yuna's scores to today's standards while completely ignoring that Goe's and PC's has been inflating aka, Yuna scoring 148 at 2013 worlds with an easier layout than in 2010. Yuna got 71.76 and 73.61 in PCs for those scores respectively while Evgenia recently scored 73.34 at her debut worlds, lets let that sink in for a sec lol. The question is how would 2010 Yuna be scored components wise compared to Evgenia or even Sochi Yuna in today's standards?

Doesn't how she was scored at 2013 Worlds answer that question?

blargmonster

Rinkside
Doesn't how she was scored at 2013 Worlds answer that question?

The question I'm asking is does Evgenia deserve a 73.34 in components if she were skating against Yuna in the same competition both clean. And nope, PC's have been trending even higher since Sochi.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I would not compare scores from different epochs. But I think that talking about a free program to set a world record today one should have a 7 triple program with significant backloading at the minimum. To set a world record in a short program one needs a 3A or a quad. Hence, I do not see Evgenya's beating Mao's SP record. However, she might have ideas how to bring a couple more points to her free skate just doing more backloading or at least switching 3F-3T and 3S-3T. Then even if she does not bring new elements she can shoot for 77.5 + 152.5 = 230

But at the beginning of the season there were rumors that Liza will have 2 3As in her free program and we discussed chances for the same 230. Never happened even close. Then we don't know what is going to happen over the summer. This year Zhenya was just fabulous. Next season we will first speculate and then we shall see. Once again, it was already clear during the test skates that this season Medvedeva means business.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The question I'm asking is does Evgenia deserve a 73.34 in components if she were skating against Yuna in the same competition both clean. And nope, PC's have been trending even higher since Sochi.

Actually, the answer is yes, because under IJS, the scores are not supposed to be based on ranking or who is better. And let's see the evidence for PCS trending higher since Sochi. Maybe overall, but not at the top end.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The question is how would 2010 Yuna be scored components wise compared to Evgenia or even Sochi Yuna in today's standards?

I think it mostly depends on the other skaters. If both are clean and Yuna deserves the highest PCS and Evgenia the second highest among all the women, their PCS scores will be close. If there are 5 skaters in between them on PCS quality, Yuna will be much higher. Evgenia also probably gets a bump from doing two 3-3 combinations since that isn't rewarded in TES.

moriel

Record Breaker
Looking at how Mao's PCs are currently scored, i suspect that Evgenia could end up over Yuna if they competed today.