Programs with Stellar Musical Quality | Golden Skate

Programs with Stellar Musical Quality

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Regardless of whether a skater is a contender for Top Ten at Worlds 2016, I would enjoy a "heads up" on programs and skaters to watch for. I'm thinking of programs with technical quality (or not so much) that are noticeably impressive as far as (1) nuance and dynamism in musical interpretation; (2) emotional resonance with skater(s) and audience; (3) skaters inhabiting their music powerfully or otherwise in an unusual way; ... you get the idea. And how they do it.

I'll start with one of my recent favorites.

I only recently started to "get" Adam Rippon. But this year at Nationals, his FS to the Beatles medley completely transported me to a different place. Like much of the audience, I was carried away by the beauty and authenticity with which he skated this program ... especially, beginning at the precise instant when he executed the most exquisite jump: his second triple axel, in the second half. Although come to think of it, maybe it started earlier, with the Rippon triple lutz.

The first great thing is that his fall on his opening element, the quad lutz, was just a blip on the radar, to the audience but also to him. It was as if the music, and his intention of skating a beautiful, strong program and doing the music justice, carried him above and beyond anything else. Though some scoff at this, the fall wasn't disruptive.

I've seen very few skaters, especially among current men, skate with the attention to musical nuances, and more especially silences, as Adam did on that day. On simple moves, he would pause, lift and turn at exactly the right moment. He did this so many times during this number that the best way to describe them is just to suggest that you watch the video with the music, with the intention of noticing those moments.

When the music transitions to "Blackbird," Adam's whole mood, skating, and movement alters. By the time he does his second 3A, it all comes together: tender McCartney song and guitar, smooth delicate movement across the ice, and the easy, easy, elegant triple axel. After that, Adam had to sustain the high mood and keep up the technical excellence to finish with incredible emotional power and resonance.

If by any chance you watched Adam's FS earlier in the season but missed the one from Nationals, I'd encourage you to take in his Nationals performance! It's far and above the earlier ones, a great example of how a program can develop and become more subtle, over a season.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yuna Kim was always very musical. Yagudin was also very musical. Adam Rippon and Ashley are both VERY musical skaters. Now, when it comes to Gracie, I think her programs are "Musically Choreographed" and when she executes them well, she ticks all the right boxes and is very difficult to beat.

IMO, currently the most Musical US Male is Joshua Farris followed closely by Adam. The US has really been improving in this area. With Max, Ross, Ricky and Grant all having strong programs this season. I can never remember that good spinner's name but, I'll add him and Nathan to the list. This is an exciting time in US skating as the older are doing well and our younger skaters are also looking very good.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't understand how anyone can say a fall is not disruptive. It's a fall. By its very nature it's disruptive!

Joshua is hands-down the most musical and elegant of the US men (assuming Jeremy has retired at this point). Jason I don't think gets enough credit for what he does well, people like to accuse him of "choreographed artistry" but he's very good at hitting those accents and acknowledging the music as a whole.

mrrice, I think the "good spinner" you are thinking of is Timothy Dolensky, and he is divine to watch.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I've always found Zijun Li to be a very musical skater. Of course, there's the obvious Mao Asada, and I actually think Evgenia Medvedeva is pretty musical as well.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I always enjoy watching a program that fully uses every detail of the music. My last season's favourite SP and this season's favourite SP both check that box: Kanako Murakami's "Think of Me" SP and Ashley Wagner's "Hip Hip Chin Chin" SP. The technical elements are not the most difficult (both don't have lutzes) but the elements match what is happening in the music perfectly.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't understand how anyone can say a fall is not disruptive. It's a fall. By its very nature it's disruptive!

Joshua is hands-down the most musical and elegant of the US men (assuming Jeremy has retired at this point). Jason I don't think gets enough credit for what he does well, people like to accuse him of "choreographed artistry" but he's very good at hitting those accents and acknowledging the music as a whole.

mrrice, I think the "good spinner" you are thinking of is Timothy Dolensky, and he is divine to watch.

That is him...................Thank you Karne.:bow:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agree 300% with Skylark about Adam's program; I didn't like the four Beatles' cuts in the beginning, but Adam has made a believer out of me.

(Still can't stand Queen. Will never like any program to Queen. Ever.)

I never "got" Patrick Chan either, until his 4CCs LP. It seemed like even the ice moved off of his blades in time to the music. Wow.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
This year, I love the music and musicality from:
Men- Deniss Vasilievs, Yuzuru Hanyu, Shoma Uno, Grant Hotchstien, Michal Brezina, Patrick Chan, Jason Brown (Denis with his OLD LP :( )
Ladies- Kanako Murakami, Satoko Miyahara, Soyoun Park, Evgenia Medvedeva, Anna Pogorilaya

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always enjoy watching a program that fully uses every detail of the music. My last season's favourite SP and this season's favourite SP both check that box: Kanako Murakami's "Think of Me" SP and Ashley Wagner's "Hip Hip Chin Chin" SP. The technical elements are not the most difficult (both don't have lutzes) but the elements match what is happening in the music perfectly.

Totally agree. Like it's a deal-breaker for me if I want to watch it over and over and over again (Though there are a few exceptions to some programs not like it). I like to also add Alexei Bychenko's SP from this season....the way he skated it at 2016 Euros. THAT showed using details of the music. Especially the StSq. Like even when I saw him skate at Skate America this season, when his skates were pretty much disasters, I remembered that I enjoyed the StSq in the SP.

And of course Deniss Vasiljevs' SP! And that StSq pulls you in with all the amazingness!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Agree 300% with Skylark about Adam's program; I didn't like the four Beatles' cuts in the beginning, but Adam has made a believer out of me.

I never "got" Patrick Chan either, until his 4CCs LP. It seemed like even the ice moved off of his blades in time to the music. Wow.

Patrick must be seen live in order to truly understand how great he is. It's hard to knock Plushy off the top of my lifetime favorites podium I've set him on. However, Patrick (Almost) did. He is definitely one of the best skaters in the history of the sport and I'd love to see him go out on top. :rock:

Last edited:

lyndichee

Medalist

Yes! Finally. Everyone has been gushing about Kanako at 4CC this year but I think Kanako had a wonderfully performed SP last year. I liked her "Think of Me" better than "El Tango de Roxanne." I wasn't a huge fan of the music itself or the arrangement but that step sequence was just exquisite at Worlds.

Perdita

Final Flight
Hands down, Giada Russo especially her Red Violin LP. (Okay, I'm posting about her programmes in every thread I can because they really deserve to be noted!) As far as I am concerned, musicality has to be something more creative and unique than hitting the notes and matching with the melody and that's why her programmes are spectacular in so many ways.

As for men, it's going to be Denis Ten for me. His New Impossibilities LP last year is a masterpiece.

I find it difficult to tell who's got the better musicality in Ice Dance, because they are all good at their bases... I tried to come up with the best ones but I really don't know!

Last edited:

johnsmith72

On the Ice
Sasha Cohen had amazing musical abilities and could accentuate musical accents so well. Her Romeo and Juliet program from the Olympics is one of the most beautifully choreographed pieces of ice skating I have ever seen. Every musical note was hit to perfection and the musical edits were outstanding even if the jumps weren't there.

unico

Final Flight
I see musicality and choreography as two separate things. There are skaters who have exceptional musicality with material that doesn't allow them to fully shine, or skaters with great material but is skated through without hitting the accents, ending too late or early, intensity of performance doesn't match the music, etc. What one hopes for is a great marriage between great choreography and a great musical skater to showcase that choreography.

^ Giada Russo, who was a revelation for me at these Europeans, is a great example this season.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Hands down, Giada Russo especially her Red Violin LP. (Okay, I'm posting about her programmes in every thread I can because they really deserve to be noted!) As far as I am concerned, musicality has to be something more creative and unique than hitting the notes and matching with the melody and that's why her programmes are spectacular in so many ways.

As for men, it's going to be Denis Ten for me. His New Impossibilities LP last year is a masterpiece.

I find it difficult to tell who's got the better musicality in Ice Dance, because they are all good at their bases... I tried to come up with the best ones but I really don't know!

Giada Russo's LP is :love:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I can say it didn't disrupt the program because I've seen it in person and on the video, and for me it didn't disrupt the program. That's how I've perceived it, every time.

Usually, I find falls disruptive in the extreme, so it's surprising to me when I see a program with a fall that I don't feel that way about. I really think that it has something to do with the fact that Adam didn't let it disrupt HIM or his performance. I guess one thing I can compare it to is when I'm reading a book, and the prose carries me on so beautifully that I don't stop. And that's saying a lot, since I have sort of an OCD memory about time-lines and settings; I spot contradictions in the narrative.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuna Kim was always very musical. Yagudin was also very musical. Adam Rippon and Ashley are both VERY musical skaters. Now, when it comes to Gracie, I think her programs are "Musically Choreographed" and when she executes them well, she ticks all the right boxes

That's exactly how I feel about Gracie's programs. Musically choreographed, nicely phrased programs, especially this year's programs, though I prefer her SP. But the connection is lacking; the only thing I feel is that she's ticking the right boxes. Except when she hits all her jumps: then she's so happy and exuberant that I feel thrilled and happy for her too.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

OMG! I feel exactly the same way, about Patrick. I started watching him in 2010 and never "got" him until this 4CC. Awesome.And I can't stand Queen either. I adore Ross Miner, but after nationals I couldn't even make it through watching his entire FS once. Argh.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:thank: to everyone who's given me skaters to be sure and watch for during Worlds. Many of these, I already know and will make sure I watch, even if not by livestream, in the videos posted.

But you've put a few new skaters on my radar. Particularly Giada Russo -- and I love the Red Violin music too.

There's a young Russian skater that I'm thinking of in this context of being musical, his name is Alexander but can't recall his last name and I don't know if he'll be at Worlds. And my eyelids won't stay open anyway. :bed: