Programs with Stellar Musical Quality | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Programs with Stellar Musical Quality

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Petrov, and he won't be at Worlds. Kolyada got the other spot.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
:luv17: tx so much @perdita , haven't been that impressed by a step sequence in a singles performance in a long time. Plus the music is just great and so hard to skate to.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Hands down, Giada Russo especially her Red Violin LP. (Okay, I'm posting about her programmes in every thread I can because they really deserve to be noted!) As far as I am concerned, musicality has to be something more creative and unique than hitting the notes and matching with the melody and that's why her programmes are spectacular in so many ways.
its okay, everyone needs to see how brilliant that program is and Giada is (even though technically she is behind) :love:

i want to add Elizabet to the list too, her EX at SA will remain as one of my favourites for a long time as well as her SP from last season :luv17:

Perdita

Final Flight
I'm happy for my Giada promotion being quite productive :dance3:

And I'm seconding Sasha Petrov! Some people seem to find him lacking in personality, but he's got really good musicality, the best among the young men to my mind.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Sasha Cohen had amazing musical abilities and could accentuate musical accents so well. Her Romeo and Juliet program from the Olympics is one of the most beautifully choreographed pieces of ice skating I have ever seen. Every musical note was hit to perfection and the musical edits were outstanding even if the jumps weren't there.

Sasha was very natural, just a born dancer, even when she was very young she could use her whole body to interpret music. Just watch a 15 year old Sasha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_MBCtlTbZE

BTW What do you mean by 'jumps not there'? - Sasha had landed five triples in that LP exactly as OGM, Shizuka... if it wasn't for a fall and a hand down she could have won.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Petrov, and he won't be at Worlds. Kolyada got the other spot.

Thank you! If I were at my high-speed internet location, I'd have looked him up last night. I tried looking just now, and even another GS thread took too long for my work schedule today.

I think Petrov did one of his programs this season to "Bring Him Home," and it was very beautiful skating and interpretation. I only "discovered" him at SC.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm happy for my Giada promotion being quite productive :dance3:

And I'm seconding Sasha Petrov! Some people seem to find him lacking in personality, but he's got really good musicality, the best among the young men to my mind.

So am I, happy:dance3: that is. This is exactly what I was looking for with this thread, musical skaters I need to watch for. I hope people will keep adding to the list.

Last edited:

Perdita

Final Flight
So am I, happy:dance3: that is. This is exactly what I was looking for with this thread, musical skaters I need to watch for. I hope people will keep adding to the list.

Yay! Thank you for starting a great thread!

I think Petrov did one of his programs this season to "Bring Him Home," and it was very beautiful skating and interpretation. I only "discovered" him at SC.

I think that skater in your mind is not Sasha... seems like Daisuke Murakami?? :confused:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
[
QUOTE=Perdita;1388250]Yay! Thank you for starting a great thread!

:thumbsup: you're very welcome.

I think that skater in your mind is not Sasha... seems like Daisuke Murakami?? :confused:[

Thanks for the correction. The skater is Sasha, I remember him vividly. Also, at that point I already knew who Murakami was. My memory was apparently fuzzy on the musical selection. But I loved his musical expression, and since then I've watched some of his older programs. I thought his skating as a junior was very mature; and the feeling I get is that of course he plans to do all the jumps he needs to be competitive, but his passion and focus are music, performance, quality skating.

Last edited:

melmel

On the Ice
I don't know if others will agree with me but I was a big fan of Stannick Jeannette. Rondo Capriccioso is definetely my favourite program he did.

Last edited:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
1. I am shocked no one has mentioned the name Carolina Kostner yet.

2. I feel compelled to nominate this program. It is the first thing that popped into my mind when I read "Stellar Musical Quality" in the thread title.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
1. I am shocked no one has mentioned the name Carolina Kostner yet.

2. I feel compelled to nominate this program. It is the first thing that popped into my mind when I read "Stellar Musical Quality" in the thread title.

The reason is the original poster was looking for skaters he could see at Worlds 2016. So Kostner doesn't enter in that category ;)

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Daisuke Takahashi and Akiko Suzuki. They simply got it.

I'd also add Yebin Mok, Carolina Kostner, and Stephane Lambiel.

So many ice dancers but some are just a rung above...like Denkova/Stavisky, the Duchesnays, and Klimova/Ponomarenko.

gkelly

Record Breaker
If we're going back to past eras, I also nominate Torvill & Dean, Kurt Browning, Oksana Baiul, Nicole Bobek, and Lu Chen -- for versatility in different kinds of music they were able to interpret well as well as the level of detail in any one of them.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why are we going back to past eras when the OP asked about 2016 Worlds?

I mean, I could answer "Toller" to almost any music/artist/interpretation thread, and I'd be right.:laugh:

Back on track, for lesser knowns for Worlds, I really enjoyed the performance style of Julian Yee (Malyasia), at least in the LP. Music of the only vid I found is blocked.:furious: But I would go to the early rounds to watch him skate.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Two of Michelle's programs always stand out to me - first because I totally love the music and second because she interpreted both with such feeling and emotion. East of Eden and Fields of Gold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYwAZb14Ags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbUVLV49mas

That version of East of Eden (my slow computer wouldn't give me the vid, but I think it's the one she did at 1998 World Pro?) is my absolutely forever favorite Michelle Kwan program ever. She skated to that music many times during her career, once when she was about 13 and once in the early 2000s. But this was the most exquisite program. I get major chills when I watch it and often it moves me to tears.

I watched her skate to Fields of Gold at the 2002 Olympic exhibit and, to date, at least, haven't been able to watch it again.