"The Notebook" - SEE THIS MOVIE! | Golden Skate

"The Notebook" - SEE THIS MOVIE!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
"THE NOTEBOOK" with James Garner, Gena Rowlands, Ryan Gosling, Rachel McAdams. It's a lovely love story--there wasn't a dry eye in the movie theater. Mr. RG offered to go with me and even said it was a wonderful film! Okay, he was one of maybe 5 or 6 guys there (and 150 women!). I like action and suspense films as much as the next person, but sometimes it's just nice to go to a movie that makes you feel all sentimental and emotional. The acting was superb, the cinematography beautiful--just a really wonderful film.

Kyla

Rinkside
I've heard awesome things about this movie. I can't wait til it comes to the local theater!!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Realtor Gal:

Thanks for the review! I was not sure if I wanted to spend my money or not on this movie; although I have heard nothing but great reviews. Did you know the two young co-stars - Gena Rowlands, Ryan Gosling are Canadian actors? Of course, what movie could go wrong with James Garner in the lead? I must see this one! Thanks again.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Lad, Rachel McAdams is the young female star from Canada. Gena Rowlands plays the older Allie. It's now Sunday morning, and I'm STILL misty-eyed over this film! It was just so incredibly touching.

Aloft04

On the Ice
Thanks, RealtorGal. I was waiting for someone whose opinion I valued to go see this and report back! I could use a good sniffle (and a big tub of greasy popcorn).

Gena Rowlands is from Wisconsin, Ladskater, close enough to Canada to count though. I think she is brilliant in her selection of roles. She never seems false. She must be in her mid-seventies now! wow....

katweige

Rinkside
I love this movie too!! And it had me crying right away! I have read the book, so I knew what was going to happen. Besides the Lord of the Rings movies and the Harry Potters, this is the only other movie adapted from the book that I have liked..of the ones I've read before seeing the movie. This was just so wonderful!! Go see it everyone!!!! I went with a few friends and one of my guy friends even shed a tear! Oh, and I guess Tara Lipinski was at the premier, check it out on yahoo.

guinevere

Final Flight
I've seen a couple of threads on various boards about how great this movie is - I saw it a month ago, and while I thought that James Garner and Gena Rowlands did a fantastic job with their performances, I found the movie to be just really bad storytelling. I wanted to get into the flashback stories, but there was very little development - I kept feeling that most of the story of the 2 young lovers was left on the cutting room floor.

Also, the movie had a natural-feeling ending - only the movie kept going! It started back up again, so they could have the tearjerker ending, and that felt really cumbersome. They do pack a bunch of emotion into it, so the real ending (which was obvious) was truly sad, but I walked out of there thinking , 'some good moments; terrible film'.

I was most disappointed in Ryan Gosling - he's been really good in 'The Believer' and even the Sandra Bullock vehicle 'Murder by Numbers', but I thought he really dialed in in here.

guinevere

Kara Bear

Final Flight
The trailer for this movie makes me tear up. But I've been told by my boyfriend that there is no way he is watching it. But I'm still working on it. :)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Kara Bear said:
The trailer for this movie makes me tear up. But I've been told by my boyfriend that there is no way he is watching it. But I'm still working on it. :)

Go without him! Bring a girlfriend instead!

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I just got out of the theater!!! This is not the kind of movie I would usually want to see, but it was either the notebook or spiderman 2 and I'm so glad I chose the notebook!!!!

I thought it was gorgeous, My grandmother had a house on a river bank in Alabama and the movie reminded me a lot of what it was like to visit her in the summers. Ugh, I even cried!!! I dont usually get emotional at movies, but the scenes not told in flashback were very touching. I agree with the poster who said that the ending was forced... I wish that it would have ended when we first see the title page of the notebook (I dont want to say more because Im sure some havent seen it who plan on it.)

Somebody get me a tissue!!!

I just saw it and thought it was the best so far for 2004. Aside from Garner and Rowlands who were both superb, I thought the whole casting was perfect. The two young protagonists were quite believable The facial expressions alone were so natural. I think one could understand the movie without dialog.
(Natural facial expression is something you don't see very much in figure skating until the skaters begin to mature.) It's a slice of life story and maybe a box of kleenex for the last half hour might be in order.

If you like Sandler, Stiller, the Farrelly Brothers, and young men wearing halloween costumes flying through buildings, do not see this film.

Joe

Last edited:

Antilles

Medalist
I am planning on seeing this soon. Funny how things turn out. I spent part of my "growing up" years in the same town as Ryan Gosling. Our paths only crossed once, a couple of years before he got his first big break. A friend of mine went to school with him, and I went with her to some sort of fun night at her school. Ryan was in a room with another kid putting on some kind of dance show. My friend said Ryan was really talented and would be famous some day. I think my exact words were "yeah, right". Shows how much I know. ;)

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
If you like Sandler, Stiller, the Farrelly Brothers, and young men wearing halloween costumes flying through buildings, do not see this film.

Joe

I like stupid comedies, and I liked the Notebook... maybe I'm an exception to the rule but I like a wide variety of movies.

Longhornliz said:
I like stupid comedies, and I liked the Notebook... maybe I'm an exception to the rule but I like a wide variety of movies.

No problem LH. I just don't like stupid comedies and stupid dramas for that matter. I'm usually at a Josh Bell concert or a Kirov Ballet visit or better still a Mets game than spend time in a movie house with films I know I wont enjoy.

To each his own.

Joe

I'm happy to read such great reviews about The Notebook.
I read the book and loved it. Usually, books-made-into-movies don't do the books justice.
We don't go to the theatre so I'll be waiting for this one to come out on video....hopefully it'll come out on VHS and not just DVD! We don't have a DVD player yet!

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
A few friends and I are going to see this movie tomorrow night, I cannot wait to see 2 fellow Londoners ( proud to say that :) gotta brag :laugh: )

I hear kleenex's are a must!!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
Lad, Rachel McAdams is the young female star from Canada. Gena Rowlands plays the older Allie. It's now Sunday morning, and I'm STILL misty-eyed over this film! It was just so incredibly touching.

Oops! I think I must have been tired when I replied. I meant Rachel McAdams. I have seen the movie, now and yes, it was a very touching movie. There was not a dry eye in the theatre. I thought James Garner and Gena Rowlands really brought the story home at the end. I also thought the scenery and music added to the film. The photography was beautiful.

A much better movie than I anticipated.

Vash01

Medalist
I finally saw this movie today. My hairdresser had recommended it. She said, "You will like it" and I did. It was a bit senitmental but it was a very touching love story. I don't give away too much, so I won't say much, but the cinematography, acting, music was wonderful. I was totally absorbed in the story. I did not cry but it was hard not to get misty eyed toward the end, as the story unfolded. By far this is the best movie of 2004. I am one of those who absolutely AVOID watching Spiderman type movies. Most movie trailors have been terrible - all I see is stupid jokes, violence, or wars, and lots of special effects. It was very nice to watch something with human emotions, and nature.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
No problem LH. I just don't like stupid comedies and stupid dramas for that matter. I'm usually at a Josh Bell concert or a Kirov Ballet visit or better still a Mets game than spend time in a movie house with films I know I wont enjoy.

To each his own.

Joe

Joe,

How often is Josh Bell in your area? I love him. I wish that I could say that I am usually attending one of his concerts, so rare it is that he happens this way.

BTW...I love Sandler as well.