Polina Edmunds Withdraws from Worlds | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds Withdraws from Worlds

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Poor Polina. That's too bad. :(

However I am extremely esastic for Mirai! Considering how on her recent TSL interview she spoke about how much she's wanted to return to worlds for a second time. I hope she's been training well as first alternate since 4CC.

I had a chance to chat briefly with lovely :luv17: Mirai a few days after Four Continents -- at the show in NYC.

She was telling me how much she likes NYC, so I asked whether she would be staying any extra days for fun.

Her cheerful response: "I'm an alternate, so I'm going back to Colorado tomorrow to keep training."

To which I replied, "Oh, yes, I know [that she was an alternate]... of course, don't want anything bad to happen to someone else, but you never know."
She smiled and nodded, "You never know."

I'm sad for Polina, but super-excited for Mirai :dance2:.

Last edited:

oceanle

Rinkside
I would not be surprised that Mirai will have a better placing than the other 2 Americans.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I would not be surprised that Mirai will have a better placing than the other 2 Americans.

Is this a joke?? It wouldn't surprise you if Mirai beat Gracie at Worlds? I think you'd be the only person on the planet who wouldn't be surprised. In fact, I'd be surprised to see any Pewter Medalist beat the National Champion at Worlds. I mean, how many times has it ever happened that a Pewter Medalist gets to go Worlds. Unless you count Ashley.;)

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker

I wouldn't be surprised if she outscored either Ashley OR Gracie, but I'd be shocked if she beat both.

Polina scored more in the SP at Worlds last year but Gracie and Ashley both beat her in the end.

Nathan13

Medalist
Is this a joke?? It wouldn't surprise you if Mirai beat Gracie at Worlds. I think you'd be the only on the planet wouldn't be surprised. In fact, I'd be surprised to see any Pewter Medalist beat the National Champion at Worlds. I mean, how many has it ever happened that a Pewter Medalist gets to go Worlds. Unless you count Ashley.;)

Well, Mirai just beat Gracie at Four Continents, so personally I won't be surprised either.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
It really is sorry to hear that. I just wish for Polina's seedy and quick recovery.

I somewhat expected she may bring a revised free program and surprise us, but well, it seems to be not a good time for her.

Nathan13

Medalist
Gracie had about the worst competition of her Senior career at 4CC. A decent Gold will beat Mirai.

Yes I watched Four Continents and I absolutely agree, but she's proven to be very unpredictable. All I'm saying is, history repeats itself so it won't be shock if it happens.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Should point out that Nagasu isn't really much (if any!) better than Gold in terms of predictability....you never know what you'll get from her either...:noshake:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes I watched Four Continents and I absolutely agree, but she's proven to be very unpredictable. All I'm saying is, history repeats itself so it won't be shock if it happens.

It would shock me to my CORE!!!:drama: Seriously, leaving Mirai out of the equation, if Gracie doesn't skate well at Worlds, it will not only shock me, it will disappoint me greatly. She has everything a skater could possibly dream of. She's the Champion of the host country and is surrounded by the best team she could possibly have. Lastly, I really think that Carly's success this season is the best thing that could have happened for both of them.

She'll have friends, family, her team, and an arena full of screaming fans to help her get pumped before she skates. I'm looking for big things from Gracie and that means that she needs to get on that Podium. Right after Med....;) KABOOM!!

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Should point out that Nagasu isn't really much (if any!) better than Gold in terms of predictability....you never know what you'll get from her either...:noshake:

Plus Mirai hasn't had much pressure on her for the last few years since she has underachieved a lot. The first time around when people expected great things from Mirai she was a bit of a headcase too.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Plus Mirai hasn't had much pressure on her for the last few years since she has underachieved a lot. The first time around when people expected great things from Mirai she was a bit of a headcase too.

Here's the thing. I want all the Ladies to skate well in front of their fans. If that happens, Gracie beats Mirai because her programs are better in TES and PCS and she'll deserve it. If Gracie bombs, the chips will fall where they fall. Wouldn't you all be at least a bit sad if our National Champion bombs in front of her country.

justgottaskate

Rinkside
I never like to hear of someone being hurt, so I hope Polina's body heals super fast and is even better for next year! BUT, I canNOT express how EXCIIIIIITED I am to see MIRAI skate in REAL LIFE!!! :yahoo: I love Mirai and I am so happy that she gets to add "skated at the 2016 World Championships", to what I am calling "her redemption season" list!! I'll be cheering her on proudly! GO MIRAI! :hap10:

b-man

Final Flight
Well, the b-man is almost exclusively a Mirai fan, and I am ecstatic. Unfortunately, I didn't anticipate her being in Boston, and didn't buy tickets. Now for a last minute scramble for leftover seats and hotels.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have only seen Mirai live once. That was at Nationals in 2011. She was absolutely dreamy and light as a feather when she skates. I'll always remember her picking the flower and smelling it at the top of her SP. She wasn't great in the LP but I don't think anyone could have beaten Alissa at that event.

Amei

Record Breaker

Yeah of the 3 ladies going to Worlds for the US, none are very predictable except to say they are predictably unpredictable :laugh2: I am definitely glad we get to see Mirai's programs again - regardless of how she skates she makes me feel the emotions that she is trying to convey.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Must have been an incredibly hard decision to make, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to compete at a Worlds in your home country, I wish her all the best.

I'm so happy for Mirai getting this opportunity though! This is so amazing for her, I can't wait to see how she'll do!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:yahoo:

I'm sorry for Polina and no offense to her, but this is like a dream scenario to have Mirai at Worlds. It's been SIX years! *happytears.gif*

A dream scenario for another skater to get injured? How charming.