For those who won't give Tonya a chance.. | Golden Skate

For those who won't give Tonya a chance..

euterpe

Medalist
Tyson says now he is not the same man he was when he bit his opponent's ear off. That may be true, but we still don't know who the real Mike Tyson is, and he IS very scary. I personally think he is mentally unstable.

But not everyone is ready to give him a second chance (actually it is a third chance, after the rape and then the ear biting). New Jersey recently renewed his boxing license but at the same time, barred him from appearing in any of the main venues in the state.

Harding was given a second chance, when she appeared on TV several years ago in a skating competition and finished 2nd. I don't know why she couldn't parlay that into more opportunities and instead went into boxing.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Two wrongs don't make a right in my book. That's why I've never bought the "boxing gave a second chance to a thug, figure skating should too" theory.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ITA, BG

as far as I'm concerned the media gives too much attention to the "bad sports" in athletics... it gives young kids the wrong impression.

lavender

Record Breaker
For me I just don't care what's really going on with Tonya/Tyson anymore. It's all tired.

Tony Wheeler

On the Ice
We should REALLY give Tonya a second chance (or is it about the fifth?) now right after she went on ESPN two weeks ago (for the Headlines, the Kerrigan/Harding incident was #21, BTW) saying that everyone else made money off her 'name', and she wasn't going to leave until she got her turn. :rolleye: The whole interview was a joke, and I can't believe anyone would want to be giving her a chance if they saw this.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Harding is in no shape to skate anymore. According to what she said in reference to her boxing status, she struggles to get her weight down to 118. That is considerably above what the 5'1" Harding used to weigh back in 1994, and she was not svelte even then.

soogar

Record Breaker
I think that if Tonya had an opportunity to skate, she would be more serious about getting her weight down. Even if she didn't, she could still skate at 120 pounds or whatever. It's not as though other skaters hadn't let themselves or their jumps go.

guinevere

Final Flight
Personally, I think it would be more appropriate to use FS' lifetime ban for Harding as an example on a boxing website: "For those who think Tyson should come back (again)". :laugh:

Seriously, though, I have no sympathy for Tonya Harding anymore. I agree with soogar that she would be motivated to be in shape if she were skating, but her current physical condition is not what is keeping her out of the sport. It's a ban that happened as a result of her own actions.

euterpe

Medalist
Tonya is how old now -- 33? Where COULD she skate? There really aren't any made-for-TV competitions, and in any case she really is in no shape to compete against even Junior skaters.

Why should SOI or COI alienate their top skaters by hiring Tonya? And if she has let her body and skating skills go, why on earth would any show even want to hire her? Based on that latest interview, Tonya clearly still has a chip on her shoulder. What guarantee would there be that Tonya would even behave herself if a show was willing to give her a chance?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
she didn't try hard to lose the weight for that competition she did skate as a pro, so what makes you think she'll work her butt off anymore this time around? No, Tonya has the attitude of "The World Owes Me A Living" but the hard fact is WE DON'T. She won't face that fact so she's not going to have the success that others have.

I don't see how she could come back to skating anyway. She can't skate in elligible competitions for the US and I doubt another country could/would take her anyway. And the pros will have nothing to do with her(at least the ones with any ticket selling power) it'd be suicide for a pro show to even try to get that started. SOI wont, especially with Scott Hamilton in charge of things there. I doubt Tom would want to try and put her in with COI... so unless she wanted to try and start her own tour she's stuck.

Boxing isn't as easy as figure skating to fudge on(boot problems, etc) so there's no doubt she'll get whooped up on...

John King

Final Flight
For those who won't give Tonya a chance....

She was given a second chance back in 1998,and she blew it.Came in second at that ESPN2 competition,then screwed everything up with that hubcap incident.SOI doesn't want her.COI doesn't want her.Neither does Skate The Nation.The Candeleuro tour.Tara's Miracle Match tour.Artur Dimitriev's St. Petersburg gig.Her own agent cut all ties with her.Nobody wants her.Nobody.

Perhaps you should ask each of the promoters what their own individual reason is.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
At the moment, Ms. Harding can't even stay in fighting shape for her PRESENT sport. As the article below attests, Tonya showed up ten pounds too heavy for her assigned weight class at this fight (125 pounds, Tonya weighed 135). The fight had to be reclassified and Tonya got her tail (actually, her face) kicked.

WARNING: The pictures with this article are fairly graphic fight scenes and could be upsetting:

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmo....html?id=d3db24aa-9fa4-4a8a-9891-1da10d3472a0

On the good side, her loss in this debacle may put a serious damper on Tonya and her agent's cheap and trashy attempt to "spotlight hog" by planning a pay per view fight in Portland in 2005 to be timed to be in exact competition with the ladies long program at Nationals. I'm sure Michelle, Sasha, Jenny and Amber are heartbroken. :laugh:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Second chance for what? To make a fool of herself again? The girl should go back to school and then find a job.

nuggetr

Rinkside
I think Tonya needs to stop and take a GOOD look at herself..All she can do is blame others for her own faults. NO BODY owes her a thing, I know I for one don't..When I saw that on TV about others making money off her I had a very good laugh.What a joke she is.. :rolleye:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Quote: "Three fights had been scuttled -- one by illness, one by an ultimately unsuccessful legal action by a former manager and one most recently in Oakland last March when a personal dispute arose between the fighters at the weigh-in."

Nice to see she hasn't changed. What next, costume problems and a broken shoelace? There is always the ever popular fake death threat. :laugh:

The picture were gruesome though, she looks way out of shape compared to her oponant. :(

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I know she's a screw-up, self-destructive, and she has no one to blame but herself for the sad life she's leading--but I can't help but feel sorry for her. She's just so pathetic.

euterpe

Medalist
The figure skating boom launched by the Tonya/Nancy affair has long since reached its apex, and figure skating is in a state of popular decline. There are few skating shows on TV any more, except during the holidays. The big pro competitions are no more, there's only an occasional "Ice Wars". SOI and COI are playing to dwindling audiences.

So when Tonya says skaters are making money on her, and she wants some of it, she is 10 years behind the times. If skaters are making money today, it's because they have earned it through hard work, keeping in shape, staying competitive with their peers, and maintaining their reputations as elite skaters.

It's too bad that she didn't do that when she had the chance, instead of trying to push her way to the top through devious means.

Tonya is entitled to reap what she has sown, no more and no less.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
there's only an occasional "Ice Wars".

actually there's one every year... a few years ago they had a couple of them... I think they were trying to boost ratings for CBS or something... there's never been a year where they haven't had one since 1994 :)