Russian pairs disaster in Boston- why? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Russian pairs disaster in Boston- why?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Uh, firstly I don't think it's fair to slam T/M for no quad element. Exactly how many quad elements did V/T perform... What was their technical upgrade - a 3S-1/2loop-2S (which Max didn't even execute at that)... Wowwww. :sarcasm: And where was S/K's throw quad that they've supposedly been working on? The obvious answer being, like T/M, they're not gonna try a difficult element like a quad in competition if they're not ready. Not only that, a quad wouldn't have even gotten T/M to the podium anyways.

Being human is certainly a reason. Or ice is slippery or whatever you want to call it. Not every competition is gonna be like GPF2015 for S/K or Sochi for V/T.

Maybe they should get a jump coach. ;)

T/m did a quad twist once. Where did it go? Was it actually UR at Russian nationals. I didn't think so. Not trying to upgrade won't get t/m to the podium just as much as trying harder elements and failing.

Its true that v/t upgrades were a joke. That's part of the problem when other teams are on.

Its a big problem one of s/k's upgrades failed. But why did it? What is going on in their training?

Jump coaches would be great.

I know not every competiton can be great for every Russian team. The question is why was Boston so bad for all of them.

moriel

Record Breaker
One thing I have noticed about Trankov's non-ubers is that they find a way to bash Trankov regardless of what he has said or hasn't said or did or hasn't done, based on whimsical speculations, hearsay, or just plain personal intuition, without any regard for the facts, with the simple excuse that "well, may be he did not say it exactly like that this time, but he has been unpleasant in previous cases, so it is all justified". Good thing people on the boards are not sitting on a jury with him being the defendant... Everyone makes mistakes, and Trankov is just like everyone else in that respect. The Russians in general are not very PC. But if one can't even understand well what he says and why he says it, in what context and so on (and I find it hard to believe that everyone has gone that deeply into his words on any occasion-they are in Russian after all and therefore less accessible to the majority), then how could one go out with a clear conscience on a crusade and start bashing him with the zeal I see so many times, when they can not be certain of their facts, just on a hearsay.

Yeah i remember the interview called "quads should be banned", where Trankov only said quads were dangerous and young girls would break their bodies trying them.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
T/m did a quad twist once. Where did it go? Was it actually UR at Russian nationals. I didn't think so. Not trying to upgrade won't get t/m to the podium just as much as trying harder elements and failing.

Its true that v/t upgrades were a joke. That's part of the problem when other teams are on.

Its a big problem one of s/k's upgrades failed. But why did it? What is going on in their training?

Jump coaches would be great.

I know not every competiton can be great for every Russian team. The question is why was Boston so bad for all of them.

What were your expectations for Russia in Boston? I think everyone expected one Russian pairs team on the podium but any rational person knew that D/R were always a threat and S/H were on fire -- and then of course there was S/M as a bronze threat given their performances this season.

For Russia to end up 4-5-6, the top 2 Worlds pairs teams to retain their order and then an expected bronze medal threat wins bronze, is not a disaster. Especially with V/T on a comeback and losing because of a technicality on their lift.

Boston was pretty bad for a lot of people - particularly the Canadian team. Nam and P/O missed their frees; Chartrand bombed. Chan was like V/T - comeback trail, poised to win bronze, and lost out. W/P was like Stolbova/Klimov - won the GPF but finished off the podium after uncharacteristic errors (and other teams outperforming them).

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I think Stolbova/Klimov should have been on the podium, though. Savchenko/Massot are not fully in sync yet and he doesn't always really perform the choreography, heh. The strange thing is Savchenko/Massot didn't even really have a technical advantage. Their twist was much better but she two-footed the throw Flip in each program and he didn't have a good 3Toe in the SP. Stolbova fell on the sbs 3Sal in the LP, but Savchenko doubled it, which is equally as damaging in this system. I took this result as the ISU saying "Stolbova/Klimov, stop skipping competitions. Savchenko, we love you, make us more money."

sarama

Medalist
Oh come on! This is a lot of noise about nothing! S/K won GPF, V/T won Euro... They both weren't at their best at Worlds... it happens. T/M were good but need to make themselves stand out, and S/K could have medaled, but Aljona/Bruno did decently and the judges have been in love with them all season! It wasn't a disaster... They could have done better but it is just a competition, it's not the end of the world (or of the Russian power in pairs).... As many said though Russian ice dance is really in a bad place