Dream Programs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Dream Programs

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
What about "All that Jazz" for Gracie? She's blonde and cute like Shae-Lynn Bourne, and Shae-Lynn did a good job with it as a show program.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
100% agree. Gracie needs something fun and upbeat that she can smile through. I don't think it's something like Shake It Off but something from Broadway or jazzy would suit her very well. Her exhibition to Kristin Chenoweth's "Maybe This Time" allowed her to be upbeat and smile a lot and Kristin tweeted her so maybe she can find some inspiration from her songs.

Agreed. I feel like the main reason why I prefer Ashley over Gracie is the fact that Ashley looks like she's having FUN the entire time. Like you see in her SP and FP she's enjoying them and showing expression. Gracie, not so much. And music choice is a factor. Look we know that judges know warhorses, but I feel like if chooses an upbeat song, she'll be a completely different skater on the ice. The past 3 seasons, her competitive programs have been classical/warhorses. In fact 2 years in a row she used warhorses: POTO (During the year that everyone was using it) and Firebird. I feel like if she skated to "15" or "Love Story" by Taylor Swift for a FP, she'll do well, especially since we know she loves Taylor Swift.

Lillian

Match Penalty
I would like to se Yulia Lip skate to "Claire De lune" and Adelina to "Fever" :biggrin:
And i would so like to se Yuzuru skating to the music from the movie "Shinobi:Heart under Blade" Maybe in the Olympic Year :think:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I just want someone to really rock Bohemian Rhapsody WITH LYRICS... i even know how to cut it down to the time requirements.

Cut the first verse, cuts about a minute. The piano intro to the first two verses are the same so the cut can be done cleanly. The first verse is a bit slow and depressing, but the second one is a bit better suited for the start of a program - a bit more uptempo then warm up tempo. If you keep the "Is this real life" intro (which they should) I think the first verse as well would be too slow of a long intro to the program.

Keep the intro so you can have the first jump on the line "Because I'm easy come, easy go" Imaging a imagine a 4T+4T with the toe pic hitting the ice on "Easy" for both jumps.... could be powerful and a great opening to a great program.

At the end cut the "Any way the wind blows" and end it with Freddie saying "Nothing really matters nothing really matters to meeeeeeeeeeee" preferably with only Meeeeeeeeeeeeee being heard and the piano filtered out. I think ending on a solo Freddie note is better and would be a great ending of it.

Anything more cutting can come from the guitar solo in the middle. It is a bit long and I don't know how much i think guitar solos, at least long ones, work for skating. About half the length would be good. It would still have a guitar solo included, but not drag on for too long for a skating program. It lasts about 25ish seconds depending on when you think it starts and ends (the end transitions nicely so it should be kept) cutting about 10 seconds off I actually think would be better for a skating program.

They also have to do the hands on hip spread eagle on cue with the video seen here https://youtu.be/fJ9rUzIMcZQ?t=191

Also... i actually kinda want a butt spin. Just before the part that is used in the head banging scene in Wayne's World hit the butt spin... when the head banging music comes on... i want to see them throw a devil horns hand up over their engine and start head banging in a butt spin position. Sorta a way to troll the position... also I am not sure what other ways you could add head banging too... but it has to have some. You know the part I mean I would love to see a head bang butt spin on that part.

As for who to do it... well whoever can sell it the best. I will admit seeing Jason come out with his hair slicked down in Freddie's do would be awesome, but I actually think that Id like to see one of the ladies do somewhat androgynous interpretation of it. I think Ashley Wagner could pull it off. Then again Freddie has been called Asia's greatest rock star....I think Mao could sell it too. I mean alot of skaters could do it. Elizaveta (who i spelled so poorly the first time the site tried to correct it to Velveeta), Elladj Baldé, Adam Rippon could easily do it, Alena Leonova, Misha, Boyang, could all do it justice I think. I actually think Mae's skating is powerful enough to pull it off - and I think you do need power skating for this. Dornbush and Brendan Kerry are others that I think could really nail it.. then again i think we can spend all day naming skaters that could do it well. Heck I actually think Kaetlyn Osmond could do an awesome job of it.

Anyway... that is my dream program... been picturing it for awhile.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuzuru Hanyu: Edward Scissorhands.

Yulia Lipnitskaya: Star Wars :Across the Stars

Last edited:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I just want someone to really rock Bohemian Rhapsody WITH LYRICS... i even know how to cut it down to the time requirements.

Cut the first verse, cuts about a minute. The piano intro to the first two verses are the same so the cut can be done cleanly. The first verse is a bit slow and depressing, but the second one is a bit better suited for the start of a program - a bit more uptempo then warm up tempo. If you keep the "Is this real life" intro (which they should) I think the first verse as well would be too slow of a long intro to the program.

Keep the intro so you can have the first jump on the line "Because I'm easy come, easy go" Imaging a imagine a 4T+4T with the toe pic hitting the ice on "Easy" for both jumps.... could be powerful and a great opening to a great program.

At the end cut the "Any way the wind blows" and end it with Freddie saying "Nothing really matters nothing really matters to meeeeeeeeeeee" preferably with only Meeeeeeeeeeeeee being heard and the piano filtered out. I think ending on a solo Freddie note is better and would be a great ending of it.

Anything more cutting can come from the guitar solo in the middle. It is a bit long and I don't know how much i think guitar solos, at least long ones, work for skating. About half the length would be good. It would still have a guitar solo included, but not drag on for too long for a skating program. It lasts about 25ish seconds depending on when you think it starts and ends (the end transitions nicely so it should be kept) cutting about 10 seconds off I actually think would be better for a skating program.

They also have to do the hands on hip spread eagle on cue with the video seen here https://youtu.be/fJ9rUzIMcZQ?t=191

Also... i actually kinda want a butt spin. Just before the part that is used in the head banging scene in Wayne's World hit the butt spin... when the head banging music comes on... i want to see them throw a devil horns hand up over their engine and start head banging in a butt spin position. Sorta a way to troll the position... also I am not sure what other ways you could add head banging too... but it has to have some. You know the part I mean I would love to see a head bang butt spin on that part.

As for who to do it... well whoever can sell it the best. I will admit seeing Jason come out with his hair slicked down in Freddie's do would be awesome, but I actually think that Id like to see one of the ladies do somewhat androgynous interpretation of it. I think Ashley Wagner could pull it off. Then again Freddie has been called Asia's greatest rock star....I think Mao could sell it too. I mean alot of skaters could do it. Elizaveta (who i spelled so poorly the first time the site tried to correct it to Velveeta), Elladj Baldé, Adam Rippon could easily do it, Alena Leonova, Misha, Boyang, could all do it justice I think. I actually think Mae's skating is powerful enough to pull it off - and I think you do need power skating for this. Dornbush and Brendan Kerry are others that I think could really nail it.. then again i think we can spend all day naming skaters that could do it well. Heck I actually think Kaetlyn Osmond could do an awesome job of it.

Anyway... that is my dream program... been picturing it for awhile.

He is no longer in the competition but IMO Stèphane Lambiel is the go to man... he can always do that in shows, he can handle just about any type of music and turn it into something special :love:

apons575

Rinkside
100% agree. Gracie needs something fun and upbeat that she can smile through. I don't think it's something like Shake It Off but something from Broadway or jazzy would suit her very well. Her exhibition to Kristin Chenoweth's "Maybe This Time" allowed her to be upbeat and smile a lot and Kristin tweeted her so maybe she can find some inspiration from her songs.

WHAT A GREAT IDEA!! I don't know about Jazzy, but a free program to Glitter and be Gay would be FABULOUS for Gracie! It'd be fun, cheeky, and get her to stop being so serious all the time!!! The Firebird was great, but Frank Carroll telling her to calm down was the LAST thing we needed Saturday night. We needed her to be on FIRE!!! Glitter and be Gay has MANY opportunities to be a diva. Although Ashley is the diva, Gracie CERTAINLY has her moments too. Here's Kristin Chenoweth's version. Could you imagine a Rippon lutz on the high note at the end?! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5liuHR6wug

Ashley Wagner- A dream free program would be Shostakovich 10, THE FIRE!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZbJOE9zNjw

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold's SP: Shohstakovich Symphony No.7

For her revenge's season, an aggressive powerful music like this is required; the choreo should be similar to Liza's Bolero but faster and more dramatic.

It should start at 10:08 or at 11:19

Steps sequence at 13:05 where she can flails her arms like there's no tomorrow because in this piece of music it adds something to the performance.

apons575

Rinkside
Gracie Gold's SP: Shohstakovich Symphony No.7

For her revenge's season, an aggressive powerful music like this is required; the choreo should be similar to Liza's Bolero but faster and more dramatic.

It should start at 10:08 or at 11:19

Steps sequence at 13:05 where she can flails her arms like there's no tomorrow because in this piece of music it adds something to the performance.

Liking that someone else is suggesting Shostakovich!! haha!
I love the 7th, but I'm not sure if Gracie would be able to communicate with the music as well as maybe the 5th symphony (4th mvt) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmDEuFaoSC0 But you're right, the 7th definitely has some aspects of the Bolero!
The American ladies always have such fantastic, polished programs. I hope they will take some serious time to think on their music choices. I don't want any stupid Taylor Swift songs playing....this is a WOMEN'S figure skating competition, and we need music that displays their finesse and maturity. There's plenty of music out there for them to explore!! :hap85:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Liking that someone else is suggesting Shostakovich!! haha!
I love the 7th, but I'm not sure if Gracie would be able to communicate with the music as well as maybe the 5th symphony (4th mvt) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmDEuFaoSC0 But you're right, the 7th definitely has some aspects of the Bolero!
The American ladies always have such fantastic, polished programs. I hope they will take some serious time to think on their music choices. I don't want any stupid Taylor Swift songs playing....this is a WOMEN'S figure skating competition, and we need music that displays their finesse and maturity. There's plenty of music out there for them to explore!! :hap85:

Yes, especially Polina. I don't want another LP where she wants to prove her maturity with a program and a costume for a 13-years old skater. I hope she will brings back something more dynamic like Besame Mucho 2013-14 program.

Also i'd like someone uses this waltz (Evgenia?), it seems a sweeter version of Khatchaturian's waltz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm8kpZoX32k

PS: No more "Yo soy maria" and "Le miserable" with voice-over.

apons575

Rinkside
Yes, especially Polina. I don't want another LP where she wants to prove her maturity with a program and a costume for a 13-years old skater. I hope she will brings back something more dynamic like Besame Mucho 2013-14 program.

Also i'd like someone uses this waltz (Evgenia?), it seems a sweeter version of Khatchaturian's waltz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm8kpZoX32k

PS: No more "Yo soy maria" and "Le miserable" with voice-over.

Will DEFINITELY agree with you about Polina. The Beethoven was a step in the right direction (wasn't a fan of that dress either, lol), but the Gone with the Wind program put her right back into the role of "the third American." I hate how they (Rudy) thought that would make for a mature outing for Polina, which makes me kind of happy that Mirai went to Boston instead. I love that our ladies, even though they weren't the strongest technically, proved that their presence on the ice is just as important as the program itself.
I think a BEAUTIFUL program for Polina would be Debussy's La Mer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlR9rDJMEiQ I don't recall any skaters using this music. It's extremely impressionistic, with lush chords and lots of big crescendos. It would work great for her ballectic style. Music about the sea...Polina DOES like to go to the beach! LOL
I like the waltz! Definitely more in the style of Evgenia or Mao, or even some young Russian women such as Polina Tsurkaya or Alisa Fedichkina.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Somebody needs to do the Micmacs soundtrack. I can't for the life of me figure out why barely anyone has skated to it, as it's quirky and fun - there are lots of fun sounds throughout each piece that would be perfect for choreographic nuances - it's kind of similar to the score from The Artist, which has been used a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mb473CFcUg&list=PL9E7EFDA8701C75C1

My favourite tracks are number 1 and 3.

Kirsten and Dylan used it for their 2013 short, but I don't think any other well-known senior skaters have skated to it.

apons575

Rinkside
I've said it many times and I'll say it again: I don't understand why nobody has used the waltz from Eugene Onegin! http://youtu.be/Cz7JREul22g

Imagine Yulia or Zijun skating to this... :love: maybe even Polina?

GREAT suggestion! I definitely could see Zijun or Polina skating to it, and WHAT IF someone skated to Lensky's Aria?! Patrick Chan could use edges for DAYS!! Haha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG5zK7GBXwQ
If we start going to the opera world, Gracie could always skate to Strauss's Der Rosenkavalier Suite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCEcy7HlRMg

I'm loving all these non-warhorse suggestions. I'm sick of the Carmens, the Scheherezades, Phantoms/LesMis, and all THE DAMN NESSUN DORMA'S!!! HAHA Time for bigger and better ideas skaters!!! :cheer2:

w_darling

On the Ice
Since Worlds next year is Helsinki, too, I would love to see someone skate to Sibelius! I know Kiira Korpi skated to his violin concerto a couple years ago -- but we didn't get to see much of it :cry:

The "Beasts of the Southern Wild" soundtrack is also gorgeous, but I can't think of anyone who in particular who I think would do well with that music.