Best comeback of the season | Golden Skate

Best comeback of the season

andromache

Record Breaker
With the much-talked-about comebacks of Patrick Chan, Mao Asada, and Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov, who do you think had the best comeback? No one, unfortunately, had a good enough comeback to win Worlds medals of any color, but they all had some good and bad performances.

Patrick Chan had some sublime LPs, many terrible SPs, and some in-between. Plus he came back at what ended up being not a great time, given how quickly the technical side of men's skating evolved this season. I give his comeback a B. It would be wayyyy lower if not for the occasionally great LPs.

Mao Asada won CoC, but then had disappointing performances for the rest of the season--though she improved by Worlds, she didn't improve enough. I PERSONALLY did not feel inspired by any of her programs. Her SP could've been more lively, and her LP could've been more dynamic. I realize what an unpopular opinion this is :laugh:. I give her comeback a C+, because she didn't give me a game-changing performance like PChan did a few times.

V/T competed the least out of the major three comeback kids this season. They were plagued by injury, and it's too bad. They were, however, in fine enough form to win Russian Nationals and Europeans, although their Worlds LP was kind of a disaster. That said, they came out with what I felt was excellent material this season (Bollywood <3), and I only wish I could've seen it skated to its full potential. Although stuff like injury was out of their control, still got to give their comeback only a C.

Meanwhile, Aliona Savchenko was the dark horse of comebacks. Didier seemed content to hold Bruno Massot hostage for what might've been forever, until suddenly it wasn't and he was somewhat surprisingly released to compete with Aliona. Despite the relative newness of their partnership, they went on to win a Euros silver and, somewhat shockingly (and controversially for some fans) a Worlds bronze. Though they were successful, I didn't find their programs especially great. Still, B+ for the hardware they brought home in a short amount of time.

Aliona wins my comeback ranking! What's yours?

KWIPROKWO

Rinkside
Comebacks of former World/Olympic Champions

What did you think of the former Olympic/World Champions are their comebacks this season?

How do you think they will do next season? How do you believe Carolina Kostner, Virtue & Moir and (possibly Yuna Kim) would do next season?

My opinion.

MAO ASADA - I adore her but she is simply too inconsistent. I could see her retire after this season. Let's remember Daitsuke Takahashi and Miki Ando failed to make the Japanese Olympic team in their last tries (5th and 7th in the Japanese Championships respectively). What is worse is that there are plenty of ladies that could replace her on the team. Wakaba Higuhi is eligible to compete in Seniors next year. And Marin Honda and Yuna Shiraiawa in the 2017/2018 season. Is it worth for Mao to continue? If so, she may do a Brian Joubert (falling from the very top to 8th-16th places). On the other hand, Ashley Wagner is only one year younger than her and she just had her best result yet. You just never know with Mao.

PATRICK CHAN - This is another skater I would expect to retire this season. I simply do not see him on the podium in Pyongchang. He is another skater that is rather inconsistent and while it is possible he could pull off two clean programs, many younger skaters are more advanced technically. I could see Patrick go Brian Joubert's way and fall to 8th to 16th place at Worlds or next Olympics. On the other hand, unlike Mao, he is virtually guaranteed of an Olympic spot. Even if he does not finish in the top 2 or 3 at Canadian Championships, the federation is still likely to choose him. He may prove me wrong though and win a major event in the future!

Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov - This was an unexpected result. I did not think they would end up anywhere beyond 3rd at their worst. But they are the other former Champions that are technically behind some others. I heard Maxim is against doing a Quad. I am not sure how they could measure up technically. Though unlike Asada or especially Chan, I do see some hope for a medal at Worlds or Olympics. They need better programs though.

Aliona Savchenko (and Bruno Massot) - Aliona may be 32? but she performed better than any other former World Champion. I could totally see her winning the Olympics, especially knowing her work ethics. The question is Bruno, is he talented and hard working enough? This year would let us believe that indeed, he is!

Next season's comebacks:

CAROLINA KOSTNER - I love the fact that Carolina is doing a Maria Butyrskaya and will be competing at 30 and beyond! She is also very hard working and could see her win major competitions or at least place on the podium. She will be very interesting to follow. Too bad we will likely not see Roberta Rodeghiero at the next Worlds in Helsinki.

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir - Dance is the category that I follow the least, simply because I am not aware of some of the technical things that one should be aware to fairly judge a performance. With the World Record by Papadakis and Cizeron, it would be difficult to beat them after being away for three seasons. I could easily see them on the podium though. I would love to hear what *experts* in dance think of their chances.

ADELINA SOTNIKOVA - Adelina did not retire but I do not see her getting a spot on the Russian team in the 2016/17 season. The current top 3 is simply too strong. I would love to see Adelina at Europeans, Worlds or the 2018 Olympics, but as it stands right now, we might only see her at 2018 Worlds if the level in Russia continues like that and/or if she does not retire. And we have Maria Sotskova and Polina Tsurskaya going into seniors. I believe Polina is going into seniors only the Olympic year though, correct me if I am wrong.

YUNA KIM - I feel she may do 2013-2014 again! By that, I mean returning to Worlds in 2017 to get three Korean spots in and then skating in the 2018 Olympics at home and then retire again! The pressure must be ginormous on her. Now that South Korea has only 1 spot and Yu Yang is not eligible in the next Olympics, I tend to think she will get convinced to come back, as part of the Team competition at the very least, but likely also individually. For now, I do not believe she completely excluded such possibility, as she COULD get Gold yet again in the 2018 Olympics.

:agree:

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'll agree with you on Aliona. Out of all the aforementioned "comeback kids", she was the one who seemed the least likely to be successful in her first year back, considering she returned with a brand new partner who had significantly less experience and successes than she did. What Aliona and Bruno managed to accomplish as a new pair team in such a short period of time is incredible, especially when you consider all the drama they dealt with from the French fed. There's still lots of work to be done, but I think they will be in serious contention for gold in 2018.

Last edited:

KWIPROKWO

Rinkside
Aliona for sure! I could see her win the 2018 Olympics.

V/T, I could see them on the podium, but probably not winning. They must increase their technical components though.

Mao Asada and Patrick Chan, I do not see them in the top 3 at World and Olympics in the future, but who knows? I believe they are more likely to do a Brian Joubert and continue losing ground rather than come back on top, I think both may choose to retire this season.

By the way, I opened a similar thread without having seen yours. If mods prefer, please merge them with this thread.

Perdita

Final Flight
Mikhail Kolyada!! :hap10:
What a comeback after a season lost to injury. When the season started, he didn't even have a spot at GPS, and look where he finished at the World. Fantastic job.

But I do agree Aliona's come back with that 3Tw is just insane. Best comeback among the ones you mentioned for sure!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
for me the best comeback is Patrick's. At his best, he was flawless (SP Nationals, LP 4CC) and when flawless he is amazing. He also was competing with a field that is completely different with many more quads than before, and instead of just giving up, he added a quad in his LP and a second triple axel, topping by far his technical content from 2014. He has also received his best score ever in a LP ... despite the bad FP at worlds, his comeback would deserve an A- for me.

Aliona : B+ ... i didn't like the programs.... i didn't think she was better than before.... definitely not.... and their partnership is new to us perhaps, but not new to them... HOWEVER, just the fact that they were finally allowed to compete is deserving that B... the plus is for their twist ;)

Mao : B - at the beginning (Japan Open) i thought she would be a top contender but I think she has struggled with sickness for a while and had somewhat of a choppy season...

I love her presence on ice, her footstep sequence was a gem.... I think that we will see next year if she fulfills our hopes.... The B is for always trying to perfect her technique (she at some moment didn't get too punished for the lutz....) the minus is for the URs.

V/T : C - .... SIGH : like it's been said, Tatiana wants to compete, he doesn't.... happy wife, happy life... but whatever.... not happy figure skating.... I will give them the benefit of the doubt as of course, if they regain their 2014 level, the C - will quickly get an upgrades.

Special comeback mention : Kevin Reynolds : after a season injured, a hip surgery... nobody every thought he could come back that way.... he won bronze at nationals, which surprised many... he is still on the comeback trail so for now, let's give him a K (at my university that meant pending.... or in progress)

With the much-talked-about comebacks of Patrick Chan, Mao Asada, and Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov, who do you think had the best comeback? No one, unfortunately, had a good enough comeback to win Worlds medals of any color, but they all had some good and bad performances.

Patrick Chan had some sublime LPs, many terrible SPs, and some in-between. Plus he came back at what ended up being not a great time, given how quickly the technical side of men's skating evolved this season. I give his comeback a B. It would be wayyyy lower if not for the occasionally great LPs.

Mao Asada won CoC, but then had disappointing performances for the rest of the season--though she improved by Worlds, she didn't improve enough. I PERSONALLY did not feel inspired by any of her programs. Her SP could've been more lively, and her LP could've been more dynamic. I realize what an unpopular opinion this is :laugh:. I give her comeback a C+, because she didn't give me a game-changing performance like PChan did a few times.

V/T competed the least out of the major three comeback kids this season. They were plagued by injury, and it's too bad. They were, however, in fine enough form to win Russian Nationals and Europeans, although their Worlds LP was kind of a disaster. That said, they came out with what I felt was excellent material this season (Bollywood <3), and I only wish I could've seen it skated to its full potential. Although stuff like injury was out of their control, still got to give their comeback only a C.

Meanwhile, Aliona Savchenko was the dark horse of comebacks. Didier seemed content to hold Bruno Massot hostage for what might've been forever, until suddenly it wasn't and he was somewhat surprisingly released to compete with Aliona. Despite the relative newness of their partnership, they went on to win a Euros silver and, somewhat shockingly (and controversially for some fans) a Worlds bronze. Though they were successful, I didn't find their programs especially great. Still, B+ for the hardware they brought home in a short amount of time.

Aliona wins my comeback ranking! What's yours?

Layback11

Record Breaker
It didn't yield much hardware, but my personal favorite comeback was Adelina Sotnikova's: she came back to competition with improved artistry that made her better than she was before and a standout in the Russian field even with jump issues. Her programs were two of my favorites. I'm sure they are two of the programs I'll most remember from this season. :yes:

andromache

Record Breaker
It didn't yield much hardware, but my personal favorite comeback was Adelina Sotnikova's: she came back to competition with improved artistry that made her better than she was before and a standout in the Russian field even with jump issues. Her programs were two of my favorites. I'm sure they are two of the programs I'll most remember from this season. :yes:

After glancing at the other comeback thread, I'm :hslap: that I forgot to include Adelina. Her programs were also two of my faves, and I think her DWTS experience has given her the elegance and quality of movement and musicality to dominate if she could get her jumps back.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh, right, I totally forgot about Adelina. My bad. It feels like Russian nationals happened decades ago.

As an aside, I wonder how the comebackers for next season (Tessa/Scott, Carolina, etc) are feeling now after seeing the final outcomes for this seasons' comebackers? If anything, I hope it can be a wake up call that returning to competition after such a long time away isn't an easy road to travel, so if any of them are expecting to show up and win just because they did it in the past, the stories of Mao, V/T, Adelina and Patrick may knock them back to reality.

BTW, I'm not saying that I'm accusing V/M and Carolina of actually saying that their comebacks will be a breeze as they've never spoken about their returns like that to the media, but just figuratively speaking, if that's how they're personally feeling about it.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir -
... With the World Record by Papadakis and Cizeron, it would be difficult to beat them after being away for three seasons.

For the record: Tessa and Scott will be returning after two seasons, not three.

They have been away for the 2014-2015 season and the 2015-2016 season.

Vincent Zhou did pretty well after being out injured for so long.

:agree:

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Special comeback mention : Kevin Reynolds : after a season injured, a hip surgery... nobody every thought he could come back that way.... he won bronze at nationals, which surprised many... he is still on the comeback trail so for now, let's give him a K (at my university that meant pending.... or in progress)

Thank you for mentioning Kevin! I'm super proud of him on how well we did considering how much he accomplished since then. I always had hope he would come back. But I have to admit, I didn't think it was going to come back this quickly. Of course it's not perfect, but he's definitely showing he's coming back and definitely has the determination to be back stronger than before. And that type of surgery, I hear it's almost unheard of of skaters coming back. But he has come back. I can't wait to see what next season will bring for him. I'm excited!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Regarding Tatiana and Maxim, it seems like they assumed they would be able to swiftly return and win it all, based on their reputation alone, without upping their technical content and taking their training as seriously as other top pair teams do. Meanwhile, every other top team has upped the ante on their technical content: we have many of the top teams going for one, sometimes two quad throws, difficult SBS jumps like the 3Lz, triple triple combos like 3Lz-3T, and triple double double combos like 3T-2T-2T.

D/R winning worlds and becoming back-to-'back world championships is a slice of humble pie for Trankov, considering all the awful things he said about them last year; he basically implied that the only reason that D/R were 2015 world champions was because he wasn't competing that season. Well well, now for this season we have D/R back on top and Max isn't even on the podium. *shrug* Think what you will.

Just an aside, I do realize Meagan has said some poor things to the media as well about Maxim. Just in case any of you assume I think of Meagan as being "innocent" - however, I think Meagan was just getting her back up because Maxim attacked her first. I do believe that an eye for an eye should never be justifiable... But how many times do you have to be kicked before reacting?

I wish I could find a source for when Maxim referred to Meagan as "manly". Say what you want about D/R's skating skills as a pair, sure (though I don't think competitors should be speaking negatively about one another, period) but to attack Meagan based on her physical appearance is just low and unclassy.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What did you think of the former Olympic/World Champions are their comebacks this season?

MAO ASADA - If she returned with the intention to make another run at an OGM, I'd say her chances of achieving that goal are slim to none. She is not rotating/landing that 3a with any kind of consistency, she's getting urs on the 3f/3lo and 2a/3t attempts, and she still has a pretty bad flutz. She is a lovely skater and gets high PCS scores, but that just isn't enough when her TES can't cut it. She might hang on another season---or not.

PATRICK CHAN - I don't see him on the podium in Pyongchang either, but I'm sure he still has a clear vision of himself at the top of it and he's not ready to give up just because he had a hard time at Worlds this year. The reality is Chan is the only elite male skater in Canada right now, and they need him!

PAIRS Volosozhar /Trankov were slow as molasses and had many missteps in their FS. Technically, they weren't anywhere near on a par with their Russian teammates. Was injury a factor in their poor performance? Savchenko / Massot have been competing together for less than a year, but they have been practicing for much longer as they waited for him to be released by the French Fed. Bruno seems as talented as Aljona is; the one concern is that he is so tall and massive that he has to be careful when throwing Aljona as she is not used to being tossed from such a height and over such a distance!

CAROLINA KOSTNER - We will have to see how she looks in her return.

VIRTUE / MOIR - Should be interesting. They will be training in the same group as Papadakis/Cizeron. :slink:

SOTNIKOVA She didn't make much of an impression in the GP or Russian Nationals this season. She would need a massive improvement to earn place at Euros or Worlds 2017, and IMO it probably is not going to happen. The competition is just too tough.

YUNA KIM - Not going to happen.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
I'll be really sad if Yuna returns. I love many of her performances, but if she returns AGAIN due to pressure, it's just sad, at least from my admittedly Western POV.

Still kind of amazing how someone so darn good at competing and skating doesn't enjoy it anymore, esp. compared to someone like Aliona or any of the other comeback kids. I guess winning the top prize might kill it for you, but there are those rare ones like Irina Rodnina or Katarina Witt...or the ones like Yamaguchi or Boitano who at least had a pro-circuit to turn to, but now that that's dead the only option left is to keep competing as an amateur.

Fingers crossed she ignores the pressure and does what makes her happy.

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
I think Anna Pogorilaya. After being robbed of a medal back in 2014, then disaster in 2015, people thought she was done. And then people thought she was hopeless this season again but nope!!! :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
you should check the thread about anime figure skating... there's a video, one looks like kr
Thank you for mentioning Kevin! I'm super proud of him on how well we did considering how much he accomplished since then. I always had hope he would come back. But I have to admit, I didn't think it was going to come back this quickly. Of course it's not perfect, but he's definitely showing he's coming back and definitely has the determination to be back stronger than before. And that type of surgery, I hear it's almost unheard of of skaters coming back. But he has come back. I can't wait to see what next season will bring for him. I'm excited!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I forgot all about Kevin Reynolds as well! I think practically everyone had written him off, so it was awesome to see him return to his *almost* top forum and nab a place on the national podium this year.

I'm still sad that he didn't meet the TES requirements for worlds, as he would've been sent over Nam, ah well. It is what it is. Onward and upward for next year. :)