Jenny Kirk and Pairs? | Golden Skate

Jenny Kirk and Pairs?

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
Does anyone know how that is going? I haven't heard anything about it since Skate America. And wasn't she paired up with Fedor Andreev in Detroit? Do you think that they'll still do it since she moved to Hermosa Beach? Just curious! :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
with her site being non existant for the time being I think the only way to find out is to visit Fedor's site and get a question off to him
http://www.theskateblade.com/fedor/

never mind here's the answer

x
Dani (Connecticut): How is your pair skating going with Jennifer Kirk? Do you think this is something you both plan to pursue?
Jen is now in California so it makes it rather difficult to do pairs!!! But it was a lot of fun while we did pairs last summer.
x
Gail (Newfoundland): I love your skating and I just wanted to say that I am proud you are still representing Canada even though you don't live here anymore. But here's my question: There are rumours that you are skating pairs with USA's Jenny Kirk, if you do decide to skate pairs full-time will the 2 of you represent Canada or the US? I would be so sad to see you not representing Canada....
We hadn't really thought that far ahead with Mr. Callaghan and we are not skating together anymore, so it's not really an issue any more.

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I'm always surprised at how intersted people seem to be in this.

My impression was that they were just fooling around, no serious or definate plans to compete were made. Beyond the now obvious training separation, there were always logistic problems, like which country to represent.

Now that she is both dating and training with Evan, maybe he will be her new pairs partner.

soogar

Record Breaker
You know, Evan is tall enough to be a pairs skater and if the quads don't work out for him, he and Jenny seem physically suited to be a good pairs team.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Dani, Fedor took a while in answering this batch of questions... I think he was really busy with life and skating and just now found time to breathe enough to email Joe with lots of new goodies! Stay tuned for more new updates! I hear they're going to be good! :)

Littlewild1

Rinkside
Tonichelle said:
Dani, Fedor took a while in answering this batch of questions... I think he was really busy with life and skating and just now found time to breathe enough to email Joe with lots of new goodies! Stay tuned for more new updates! I hear they're going to be good! :)
Sounds intriguing!:D I can't wait!

I think the reason people are so intrigued about the (far-fetched) possibility that Jenny might try pairs is something like this. Jenny is so pretty, so sweet, so nice, so talented, such a breath of fresh air on the ice, that everybody likes her and hopes for her to succeed. But in the U.S. ladies' pecking order she is stuck behind Michelle and Sasha. It is unlikely (though not impossible) that she will ever win a U.S. championship. There is no guarentee that she will make the 2005 world team or the 2006 Olympic team (I hope she will) -- she is on the bubble along with worthy challengers Amber Corwin, Angela Nikodinov, Yebin Mok, AP MacDonough, Beatrisa Liang, plus the next generation.

On the other hand, the U.S. pairs situation needs help. None of our current pairs is perceived (I hope this will be proved wrong) of being podium contenders in international competition. It seems like there is a vacuum there waiting for someone to step in and take advantage of it.

But my question is this. To me, I don't see how it is possible for someone to take up competitive pairs skating as adults, having trained only in singles all their lives. It seems like it requires a certain "muscle-trust," or something. When your partner throws you up in the air, your body has to truly believe that he is going to catch you! It would seem to me that this kind of muscle memory would take a long time to train.

But then Yuka Sato :love: was in her late twenties when she started skating pairs with Jason, so evidently it is possible.

Mathman

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Littlewild1 said:
Hey, Toni...is there something wrong with TSB? Fedor's site isn't working. :\

*sigh* I think we're having server problems. But thanks for the headsup, we weren't aware of Fedor's site being down!

But my question is this. To me, I don't see how it is possible for someone to take up competitive pairs skating as adults, having trained only in singles all their lives. It seems like it requires a certain "muscle-trust," or something. When your partner throws you up in the air, your body has to truly believe that he is going to catch you! It would seem to me that this kind of muscle memory would take a long time to train.

But then Yuka Sato was in her late twenties when she started skating pairs with Jason, so evidently it is possible.

I'll take a venture and say that it all depends on the skater(s) and how they feel. Yuka started skating with her hubby, so there's already that trust factor... they started it just for fun and it's grown by leaps and bounds(litterally!).

The Jenny & Fedor thing was the same thing they were basically told to goof around with the idea, and it caught on, but they're both serious about skating for their country and as singles.

Jenny is still in her teens, and it's not uncommon for skaters to do both singles and "doubles" Jamie Salé and David Pelletier did both but until they found each other really only had minimal success with other partners(and rather dismal results as singles) though Jamie did make it to the 1994 Olympics with her partner Jason something or other LOL

So it probably boils down to... if they're made to skate together they will sometime or another!

Last edited:

Littlewild1

Rinkside
Tonichelle said:
*sigh* I think we're having server problems. But thanks for the headsup, we weren't aware of Fedor's site being down!
Ahh, I understand. My website disappeared completely for a while yesterday, as you know. I hope it gets fixed soon!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
me too, cuz let's just say a certain webmaster is stressing out and it's depressing me! LOL

sometimes I think it's better to just be a bystander! LOL

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
just to let those interested know, Fedor's site is back up. We have no idea what caused the forbidden thing! LOL