Wimbleton | Golden Skate

Wimbleton

berthes ghost

Final Flight
It's Wimbledon:)
Roddick is heading into the semi-finals
Serena will play Muresmo and Davenport will play young Russian-American in Semis, perhaps we are looking at a Linsy vs Serana all USA final. :love:
Feddera is heading into semis as well, having beat Hewitt in 1/4s.

lavender

Record Breaker
Seems like more people were picking the Russian girl anyway but then had some hope after Lindsay was serving so well and won the first set. Once it went to third I knew Lindsay was over. :(

I will have to say Serena is Superwoman to battle back like that and all respect to Mauresmo. She finally fought to the end although people keep calling her a choker. Amelie played her butt/back off and although she lost she certainly didn't choke. Serena's just a bigger fighter with a Champion mindset. Now that's what I call a champion.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
lavender said:
I will have to say Serena is Superwoman to battle back like that and all respect to Mauresmo. She finally fought to the end although people keep calling her a choker. Amelie played her butt/back off and although she lost she certainly didn't choke. Serena's just a bigger fighter with a Champion mindset. Now that's what I call a champion.
That match was amazing, it was like watching a final! :love:
Despite what she said, I hope that Lindsayreconsiders and gives next year another chance. :)

I really feel sorry for Lindsey. She comes so close so often and then whammy.
Yes, give it a try next year.!!!!!

Joe

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Lindsay

Don't feel TOO badly for Lindsay; she has already won a Wimbledon singles title. She is one of my very favorite players and I would have liked to have seen her take the title this year but it was not to be.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
The upsurge in the popularity of Tennis in Russia is obviously paying off. Many attribute this popularity to Boris Yeltsin's interest in the sport. Putin's sprot of choice is karate -- does it mean we'll see Russian karate champions soon?

Ptichka said:
The upsurge in the popularity of Tennis in Russia is obviously paying off. Many attribute this popularity to Boris Yeltsin's interest in the sport. Putin's sprot of choice is karate -- does it mean we'll see Russian karate champions soon?

Tennis always carried the concept of a Sport of the Upper Class. Maybe Yeltin's interest is in Capitalistic keeping up with the Jones'. I think training to be a tennis player is more expensive than figure skating.

Joe.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Spinner said:
THANK YOU! Sorry to go off topic, but I never can understand why SO many people pronounce it with a 't'. :confused:

Probably because of the ignorant American sportscasters mispronouncing it all the time. (Kind of like when Carter was in office and pronounced "nuclear" as "nukular" and everyone kind of jumped on that bandwagon).

But, Joe, really -- I'm surprised at you! You strike me as being one of the people on this board who would have known it was a D and not a T! Or was this just some rather dry humor?? :D

JonnyCoop said:
But, Joe, really -- I'm surprised at you! You strike me as being one of the people on this board who would have known it was a D and not a T! Or was this just some rather dry humor?? :D

OH Johnny, the shame of it all!! :eek: But then I am on Granny's list of bad spellers.

By the way, I just saw a Coming Attraction of Wimbledon (note the 'd'), It looks like a fun movie for tennis fans Ya know, the boy struggles to win and the beauty comes a long and helps him.

Joe

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Wow! What a stunning upset for the ladies! Sharapova seems like a pleasant, gracious person--unlike some other past teen champs. (Martina Hingis comes to mind--I always thought she was a snot. Whatever happened to her anyway?)

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Martina Hingis retired last season (?) because of a persistent injury. She's been doing some commentary for Eurosport, love to hear her :) It was a big loss for the sport.

Sharapova earned her title today, what a match, she reduced Serena Williams to an ordinary player :eek:

Littlewild1

Rinkside
Sharapova was amazing! I loved her reaction when she realized she'd won. :) Serena was very gracious.

And Andy Roddick has advanced to the finals. GO ANDY!! :D

Russia is trying to take over the world in Sports.

Serena is at the age where she feels pressure. The yong ones don't.

What's it going to be with Rodick and Ancic. Who will make the Finals?

Joe