Quote of the Day.....July! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Quote of the Day.....July!

4dogknight

Final Flight
July 28th

"There is no security on earth; there is only opportunity.
-- Douglas MacArthur

4dk - who was originally going to post something about the Bonus Army but thought it might be too political and decided to only post the link. If this post is too political, please excuse the ring, but if you are intested in this long forgotten piece of history, please read the entire article.

1932: Federal troops under General Douglas MacArthur drive the so-called Bonus Army, veterans of World War I who sought the payment of a delayed bonus, out of their encampment in Washington, D.C.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
July 29th

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)

.......Freaky, 4dog......I think we logged in at the same time......42

4dogknight

Final Flight
July 30th

If liberty and equality, as is thought by some, are chiefly to be found in democracy, they will be best attained when all persons alike share in government to the utmost.
-- Aristotle

4dk

DJStuCrew

Rinkside
July 30 1/2

In a similar vein...

“I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, then those attending too small a degree of it.” – Thomas Jefferson

4dogknight

Final Flight
July 31st

There are three things which are real: God, human folly, and laughter. The first two are beyond our comprehension. So we must do what we can with the third.
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy

4dk

DJStuCrew

Rinkside
July 31.4

"When I took the oath of office, I put my hand on the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. I did NOT put my hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible." – Rev. Jesse Jackson

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
DJ...........excellent quote by Rev. Jackson..........good for him.....42

DJStuCrew

Rinkside
August 1st: six more shopping days 'til MY birthday!!!

Thanks Show42! Jesse does come up with a good one now and then, doesn't he?

For today:

"I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure, which is: Try to please everybody." - Herbert Bayard Swope

DJStuCrew

Rinkside
August 2 - 17...

...I can't BELIEVE this thread has gone ignored for so long!!!

Okay, here we go...

2nd: “They couldn’t hit an elephant at this dist--“ - Union Army commander John Sedgwick, speaking his last words as he addressed his troops during a Civil War battle.

3rd: "When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car." - Author Unknown

4th: “It is hard to have patience with people who say, ‘There is no death,” or, “Death doesn’t matter.” There is death. And whatever is, matters. And whatever happens has consequences, and it and they are irrevocable and irreversible. You might as well say that birth doesn’t matter.” - C.S. Lewis

5th: “One good thing about being young is that you’re not experienced enough to know you cannot possibly do the things you’re doing” – Gene Brown

6th: “Growing old is like being increasingly penalized for a crime you haven’t committed.” – Anthony Powell, English author at age 68.

7th: “The mind is like a TV set – when it goes blank, it’s a good idea to turn off the sound.” – Communications Briefings

8th: "An empty brain is easily captured" - Asa Baber

9th: “People demand the freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid” -- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard

10th: "A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something that he can understand." - Bertrand Russell

11th: "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King

12th: “Insanity in individuals is something rare, but in groups, parties, nations and epochs it is the rule.” - Nietzsche

13th: “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”
- Winston Churchill

14th: “A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest man.” – Roald Dahl

15th: “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” – Albert Einstein

16th: “The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

17th: “Irrationally held truths may be more harmful than reasoned errors.” – Thomas Henry Huxley