a billboard lovely as a tree.
Perhaps, unless the billboards fall,
I'll never see a tree at all.
Ogden Nash (1902 - 1971)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
July 2nd

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason it was put up.
G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)

4dogknight

Final Flight
July 3rd

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.
-- Plato

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
July 4th

The Yankee Doodle Boy
I'm a Yankee Doodle dandy,
A Yankee Doodle, do or die;
A real live nephew of my Uncle Sam's,
Born on the Fourth of July.
I've got a Yankee Doodle sweetheart,
She's my Yankee Doodle joy.
Yankee Doodle came to London,
Just to ride the ponies,
I am a Yankee Doodle boy.

George M. Cohan

The Declaration of Independence

The Declaration of Arms was approved by the Second Continental Congress on July 6, 1775

Yankee Doodle Dandy – The meaning behind the original song

Battle for Bunker Hill or The Debunking Bunker Hill

4dk - who has always wondered why every July 4th most musical programs end with the 1812 Overature. This piece of music was not written by an American and it celebrates an event that did not even take place in America. Is it because of the cannon? One would think that some American composer could write a little diddy that includes a cannon or, in the very least, some staccato Do-Wop, Just a thought.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Great tribute to the 4th, 4dog.........I love the links that you posted as well......42

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
July 5th

Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons, and you will find that it is to the soul what the water bath is to the body.
Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809 - 1894)

4dogknight

Final Flight
July 6th

I probably should never have been there anyway, and it served me right when the two alert police officers fired up their siren, pulled me over, and pointed out that my car's registration had expired. I had not realized this, and as you can imagine I felt like quite the renegade outlaw as one of the officers painstakingly wrote out my ticket, standing well to the side of the road so as to avoid getting hit by the steady stream of passing unlicensed and uninsured motorists driving their stolen cars with their left hands so that their right hands would be free to keep their pit bulls from spilling their cocaine all over their machine guns. Not that I am bitter.
-- Dave Barry

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
Show, I really adore Dave Barry. I'm on an e-mail list from the Miami Herald (?) and get a weekly Dave Barry article.

I spent yesterday working on the July 14th post - Bastille Day. Another one of those pesky holidays where all the information you learn in school is highly suspect. (Remember to ask me sometime why the Yeoman Warders asked me to leave St Peter in Chains Chapel in the Tower of London. I mean if you are going to comment on a historical event you really should get it right.)

4dk

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
4dog.......can't wait to read your Bastille Day quote.....you always go the extra mile..... :) 42

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 7th

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.
-- George Carlin

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
July 8th

It is a scientific fact that your body will not absorb cholesterol if you take it from another person's plate.
-- Dave Barry

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 9th

Everyone gets their rough day. No one gets a free ride. Today so far, I had a good day. I got a dial tone.
-- Rodney Dangerfield

4dk

Chele615

Rinkside
This is totally random...but Yankee Doodle is actually Thomas Ditson who was from my hometown. To celebrate that, my town's annual homecoming weekend is "Yankee Doodle Weekend" and there is also an elementary school named after him. Interesting tidbit of information...at least to me ;)

DJStuCrew

Rinkside
July 10 (after the time warp)

“If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment!” – Los Angeles Times Syndicate

4dogknight

Final Flight
Chele615 posted
Posted by Chele615
This is totally random...but Yankee Doodle is actually Thomas Ditson who was from my hometown. To celebrate that, my town's annual homecoming weekend is "Yankee Doodle Weekend" and there is also an elementary school named after him. Interesting tidbit of information...at least to me

For those that are interested here's a site that gives you a lot of information on the Yankee Doodle Weekend.

I would like to remind everyone that tarring and feathering was not just reserved for the colonials. This 'treatment' was often employed by the colonials on Tories. (See "Oliver Wiswell" by Kenneth Roberts.) For further information on Tar and Feather see here

4dk

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish and you get rid of him for the whole weekend.

DJStuCrew

Rinkside
July 11

"If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead." - Johnny Carson

4dogknight

Final Flight
July 12th

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
-- Ronald Reagan

4dk

DJStuCrew

Rinkside
July 13

Love the Reagan quote. Reminds me of this one:

"Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain