Ashley's Future | Golden Skate

Ashley's Future

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Now that I've FINALLY come down from the 3-day high of her winning silver, I'm thinking about the next two seasons. Can she keep growing? Could she stay in the medal hunt through the 2018 Olympics? Goodness, I hope so! She needs another set of programs so well-tailored to her style (and as a fellow faux redhead, I vote she keeps the hair!).

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I don't see why not.

The disbelief around her was always that she'll never have the rotated 3-3 combinations to compete with the Russians,
And by now we know she can pull them off, After she worked worked worked and didn't give up,
And people view her artistry in high regard compared to the rest of the field, I vote STAY :agree:
If anything she'll be an asset for Figure Skating in the Olympics advertising wise

Last edited:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
She can definitly keep going. In the past two seasons she has improved so much! I actually watched her rotation at the end of her loop-halfloop-tripplesal and cheered that she got it around. She has got the drive and grit to get up there, and Raf is apparently mapping a plan out with her. Their goal is olympic gold and I would never count her out.

Violetti

On the Ice
I really hope she will skate at least a couple of more years. It is always nice to see her programs and I would miss her so much if she would not skate any more. I think she should try because maybe she now found the way to skate so well.

noskates

Record Breaker
Having watched her skate "live" this past week I can't say enough for her determination and grit. I think she has a bright future and I think she can continue growing. She certainly did from the first of the season until Worlds. I don't know what Artunian has done but he's certainly done miraculous work with Ashley and Adam.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Her situation is analogous to Carolina four years ago: a more senior competitor around the same age (24 / 25?) who, after years of *almost* making it (Caro almost wins, Ashley almost medals), finally wins the medal she wants. Skater is thought of as mature and artistic, the "woman on the ice" amidst a sea of teenagers. She's two years out from the next Olympics. She is consistent and when others falter or are a bit off, she charges ahead and claims a moment for herself and her country. So I don't see why she can't do well in the next two years.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Caro's first world medal was in 2005, when she was 18 and won the bronze, so her situation is slightly different from Ashley's. ;) I understand your comparison though in that Caro waited a long time to win that gold medal, whereas Ashley waited a long time to get on the podium, period.

As for whether or not Ashley can keep the momentum going, I say heck yes she can! She's right when she said she gets better with age!

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
It's all up to her: this silver medal could be the pinnacle of her career, i think she strong enough to fight again for a medal at GPF and Worlds, but she should be pleased with that achievement, because in other fields with all that UR's and spins a little messy that performance could have been a bronze or even nothing when you see other skater like Miyahara doing clean everytime.

Next year will be exciting, i can't wait to see GP 2016/17.

Caro's first world medal was in 2005, when she was 18 and won the bronze, so her situation is slightly different from Ashley's. ;) I understand your comparison though in that Caro waited a long time to win that gold medal, whereas Ashley waited a long time to get on the podium, period.

As for whether or not Ashley can keep the momentum going, I say heck yes she can! She's right when she said she gets better with age!

Anna's situation more similar to Carolina: she was so close to the bronze two years ago (and maybe she deserved it), she struggled with consistency but comeback stronger with bronze medal at her third year at seniors.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think she has a great shot at the 2018 Olympic team and a team medal there. I also think that this silver will be the best singles placement of her career in major events. She skated near her best but still only had the 5th highest TES score in the LP (4th in the SP) and I'm not sure in an event held anywhere else she would receive the PCS buffer she got here.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I think she has a great shot at the 2018 Olympic team and a team medal there. I also think that this silver will be the best singles placement of her career in major events. She skated near her best but still only had the 5th highest TES score in the LP (4th in the SP) and I'm not sure in an event held anywhere else she would receive the PCS buffer she got here.

Of course not. Her PCS should be in the 60s...

R.D.

Record Breaker
...I also think that this silver will be the best singles placement of her career in major events. She skated near her best but still only had the 5th highest TES score in the LP (4th in the SP) and I'm not sure in an event held anywhere else she would receive the PCS buffer she got here.

My first reaction is to agree with this - but, having said that - Wagner seems to find a way, somehow, to reach new heights in her career. :confused2: So....it's anyone's guess what will happen.

Best thing in her case is just to keep expectations relatively low and let her do whatever she wants. The chips will fall wherever. Bigger question to me is, what becomes of Gold? Or Edmunds? Of course, that's for another thread(s).

salchowx4

On the Ice
Realistically, I think this silver is the highest individual medal she'll ever get at worlds/olympics. If she wants to add more hardware from other events, that is probably doable, but she just had her big moment that everyone dreams about. Everything came together (two strong skates by her, U.S. politicking extremely hard because it wanted to end the drought, worlds held in her home country) in a way that won't happen again in her career.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Best thing in her case is just to keep expectations relatively low and let her do whatever she wants. The chips will fall wherever. Bigger question to me is, what becomes of Gold? Or Edmunds? Of course, that's for another thread(s).

I absolutely think she should continue and hope she does; she and Gracie together are likely to keep a 3rd US spot in the foreseeable future. This silver medal was a huge surprise but well deserved.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Having watched her skate "live" this past week I can't say enough for her determination and grit. I think she has a bright future and I think she can continue growing. She certainly did from the first of the season until Worlds. I don't know what Artunian has done but he's certainly done miraculous work with Ashley and Adam.

:agree:

Ashley gives Raf a ton of credit every time, or nearly every time she's interviewed, for completely changing her training methods. Adam gave Raf props this week also. (Raf likely had more time to devote to Adam because Nate was injured.) I have a feeling that Ashley and Adam reinforce and support each other so well that that's a factor in how brilliantly they both performed at Worlds. For one thing, they can complain and commiserate about how exhausted they are and how tough Raf is. For another, they're friends and training mates, but not competitors of each other.

I want Ashley to continue to compete for as long as she wants to. I enjoy watching her skates and I'd miss her if she wasn't there. And I'm not counting her out. She's proved that people who count her out are short-sighted.

desertskates

Medalist
I think Ashley's future is extremely bright. When she drew last to skate at Worlds, I was a little bummed for her because I thought it would be impossibly tough. But she took that pressure and turned it into something magnificent. She's only getting better with the jumps and and her mental toughness and resilience is extraordinary. I can't wait to see what she brings next year!

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
If there is one thing i'd have Wagner work on till Olympics (Now that her artistry is praised and the 3-3's are coming together)

It will be a faster Step sequence with a bit more content and ice coverage,

For me that's the one thing missing from her skating, Which could boost her PCS a tad more if she wants Gold.

Last edited:

arewhyaen

On the Ice
I honestly think her success in 2017 and 2018 will depend on her programs. Her Moulin Rouge and Samson and Delilah program worked wonders for her, which is why she skated both for two seasons.

If she is going to continue to get high PCS, shes going to need to either find a program that matches those themes or have her artistry grow in a logical and upward direction. I could think of her 2014 Romeo and Juliet program that attempted to do this, and that just did not work out for her. She seems to thrive with music that personifies her - mistreated heroine, fighter, strong and vulnerable characters.

Off the top of my head, I could see her skating to Scheherazade (though I'd rather she not), Queen, Funny Girl perhaps. Some left-field choices could be The Red Violin, a Sally Bowles Cabaret theme, and the soundtrack to Sunset Boulevard.

artsciboy

On the Ice
I honestly think her success in 2017 and 2018 will depend on her programs. Her Moulin Rouge and Samson and Delilah program worked wonders for her, which is why she skated both for two seasons.

If she is going to continue to get high PCS, shes going to need to either find a program that matches those themes or have her artistry grow in a logical and upward direction. I could think of her 2014 Romeo and Juliet program that attempted to do this, and that just did not work out for her. She seems to thrive with music that personifies her - mistreated heroine, fighter, strong and vulnerable characters.

Off the top of my head, I could see her skating to Scheherazade (though I'd rather she not), Queen, Funny Girl perhaps. Some left-field choices could be The Red Violin, a Sally Bowles Cabaret theme, and the soundtrack to Sunset Boulevard.

Ashley already skated to "The Red Violin" for the 2012-2013 season - I thought it was pretty darn good!