Feel-good news: Inoue-Baldwin and Alexei Y. | Golden Skate

Feel-good news: Inoue-Baldwin and Alexei Y.

Here are a couple of news items that caught my eye in the latest issue of Spotlight on Skating (my new favorite skating magazine!) U.S. pairs champions Rena Inoue and John Baldwin donated all of the fees that they received from the COI tour to the USFSA Memorial Fund.

"Both Inoue and Baldwin received aid from the fund in the past and have selected this opportunity as a way to help other skaters achieve their goals."

There is also a full page first person column (Alexei's Corner) by Alexei Yagudin. He writes about his involvement with the Special Olympics. Says Alexei:

"I personally admire these athletes, as they are an inspiration tp myself as well as the rest of the world. Their accomplishments as athletes, despite personal limitations, are truly what the Special Olympics motto symbolizes: 'Let me win, but if I cannot win let me be brave in the attempt.'"

Mathman :)

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
That's awesome. I didn't know Alexei had done work with the special Olys. Very cool. Thanx for sharing that. :D

And I gotta get a copy of that magazine. Its one of my faves as well. I really like how its laid out and the articles (and pictures) are always stellar, but we don't get it here in Cincy. :eek:

(edited because I can't spell, LOL :laugh: )

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's good to see the skaters give back :)

I also like Spotlight on Skating and like Heather I can't get it locally! :(

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I'm guessing he is involved with American special Olympics, not Russian. A friend of mine once translated for Russian and Ukranian Special Olympics teams. What he saw was that Russia would send essentially healthy people who had some disorder that could qualify them for Special Olympics; this way they could win.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Math for bringing that to our attention. I have a video clip of Alexei working with the special needs kids on the ice. I guess it touched my heart a little more because I work where we help people with disabilities.

Dee

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Thanks, those are indeed feel-good stories. My niece recently competed in her first Special Olympics, following in her mom's footsteps, so hearing about sports figures I admire being involved with the event just makes my day.
As if I needed another reason to admire Alexei Yagudin. :laugh:
Rave

Chele615

Rinkside
Thanks for that information. As I am a special education teacher, hearing about athletes who give their time to work with Special Olympics always gives them a special spot in my heart :)