Test coming up and blunt blades | Golden Skate

Test coming up and blunt blades

iceHmum

Spectator
My daughter is taking a field moves test next week and at practice yesterday, she felt her skates were blunt. We asked her coach if we should sharpen them before test but he said he would rather not, as he was happy with the way she skated yesterday. My daughter is now nervous about going to practise and to lesson before the test as she thinks that will make her blades even blunter. The test is in 3 days, should we cut down on practice to preserve the blades or carry on as normal? Thank you.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
3 days? Leave it as is and carry on as normal. She has feeling on these and is clearly skating well, there's no need to throw something like a sharpen into the mix which can completely change the feel of the blade for the first few sessions.

When you said next week, I was thinking the end of next week, and was originally going to say sharpen, but three days is too short a time.

loopy

Final Flight
Agreed- leave them. In the future, schedule a sharpening or stoning a week before all tests and comps. Even if my daughter doesn't need a sharpening, they will hand stone them so they have a better edge before a test, but never just before an event!

concorde

Medalist
Agreed.
But realize that each skater has their own preferences. My daughter prefers blunt blades to recently sharpened ones. Kinda strange.

Last edited:

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I agree with the others that have replied. Leave them alone, then sharpen when the test is over. And good luck to her on the test!

iceHmum

Spectator
Thank you all for the advice! We left the blades alone and my daughter passed the test this morning.