Gifts for skaters? | Golden Skate

Gifts for skaters?

narcissa

Record Breaker
What types of gifts do people usually prepare and/or mail to skaters? Chocolates? Flowers? Stuffed animals? I feel like (1) they probably can't eat junk food and (2) I can't imagine they'll be short on flowers and stuffed animals! Lol! Has anyone tried making dresses for skaters and have they worn them? Thanks :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
cheerknithansen has made knit hats and socks!

Johnny Weir got a replica Fabergé egg.

Some Canadian fans threw panties to Patrick.

Yuzu has received Pooh in every conceivable shape and format.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What types of gifts do people usually prepare and/or mail to skaters? ... Stuffed animals? ... Lol! Has anyone tried making dresses for skaters and have they worn them? Thanks :)

Just my two cents -- because you mentioned the possibility of making dresses for skaters to use:

If only I had the necessary ambition and wherewithal (sewing skills, as well as time, motivation, etc.), I think it would be very special to give a skater a stuffed animal dressed in a mini-version of the skater's real costume.

It's not an original idea by any stretch. But skaters (both men and ladies) seem to love receiving teddy bears wearing handmade one-of-a-kind outfits that look exactly like their own costumes.

The ones that I have seen online are really adorable.
Denis Ten, for example, posted photos with an appreciative comment along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing), "When your fans are more talented than you are ..."
I imagine that the skaters (and/or their families) would treasure these unique gifts as lasting keepsakes.

But ... I realize of course that this kind of project would be a major undertaking. I myself would not be capable of it.

ETA:
My personal preference would be for mini-costumes for stuffed animals -- as opposed to dolls.
For this kind of thing, dolls seem a little creepy to me. But Gracie Gold very recently said that she has kept a gift that was a Barbie doll dressed in one of her costumes.​

Last edited:

narcissa

Record Breaker
Just my two cents -- because you mentioned the possibility of making dresses for skaters to use:

If only I had the necessary ambition and wherewithal (sewing skills, as well as time, motivation, etc.), I think it would be very special to give a skater a stuffed animal dressed in a mini-version of the skater's real costume.

It's not an original idea by any stretch. But skaters (both men and ladies) seem to love receiving teddy bears wearing handmade one-of-a-kind outfits that look exactly like their own costumes.

The ones that I have seen online are really adorable.
Denis Ten, for example, posted photos with an appreciative comment along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing), "When your fans are more talented than you are ..."
I imagine that the skaters (and/or their families) would treasure them as lasting keepsakes.

But ... I realize of course that this kind of project would be a major undertaking. I myself would not be capable of it.

That is a really good idea and I've seen both Yuna and Zijun Li receiving them, haha. I think NBC once panned to something on the ice and it was a teddy bear dressed in Yuna's Scheherazade costume. It was so adorable. It would definitely be a fun project!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Indeed I know some fans who personalize teddy bears with handmade costumes of the skaters as presents. I also know people who make dolls modelled after skaters too, but well that is for specially gifted people.
If you follow the instagram or twitter account of the skater, sometimes you get the drift of their personal interests. I brought an authentic Italian cookbook written in English and an apron with a gladiator design (I come from Rome) for Jason Brown, after seeing several of his pictures in the kitchen and saw that he enjoys cooking. He was overjoyed with excitement, although I suspect he has that reaction with everything and everyone... :laugh:

Alex D

Record Breaker
I would probably send the ladies flowers and a music CD, not very original I know :sad21: I also like to write, so some story or poem as well, within the CD case.

As for Teddy bears, I admire people who can do that, me, however, is totally un-talented in fashion :sad21: I wish someone would throw teddy bears at me, after I am done with a Dj set, but all I usually get is :eeking:

Anyways, athletes with whom I am a friend with, get something that reflects their season, so it depends on him or her what that will be. If someone was in hospital for half the year, then most likely some type of "remix" of "don´t worry be happy", dubbed with pictures of him or her in the hospital or something - ya I call this humor!

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I know Plushenko's gifts

When his boys were born he received many baby clothes, shoes. He has a great collection of dolls after him in his all costumes. He recieved books, cartoons about him, golds, and tons of plush in Japan. And this is not exaggeration. In 2010 they ordered a container, because Plu wanted to take every bit from Japanese fans in Russia. Gifts were more than 500 kg (I think 1100 pounds.)

The most weird gifts are the bras. :biggrin: Plushy received not once, if I remember well, he received in 2012 ECH, too.

The most expensive gift is a star in the constellation Scorpius. The star is named after him. I think Johnny Weir also received a star.

Layback11

Record Breaker
In a similar vein to the teddy bears dressed up as skaters, I made greeting cards to look like a few skaters' costumes to throw at Worlds. I have no way of knowing if the person who sorts those threw them out because they were homemade and had more danger potential than normal gifts, but they were fun to make and obviously fairly personal. :yes:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Denis Ten got very cute bear with his costume on it at TEB... he and Frank seemed to like it.

https://youtu.be/-bC5Bt_eyaM?t=232

They do seem to like personal stuff.

Honestly though, I think they are actually mostly food hounds with a massive sweet tooth, so even if they are not supposed to eat junk... I think they still are very happy get sugar.

Examples are

Gracie discovering candy in a giant bear

https://youtu.be/9BsSozHzUBQ?t=356

Gracie and Carly also responded to an offer of free cupcakes are worlds

https://twitter.com/CarlyCGold/status/714881424474636292
... and other skaters showed interest as well.

I think Chase Belmontes was told told basically "you are an athlete stop tweeting about doughnuts and cupcakes" at one point... but he still cheats.

Sean Rabbitt is often posting pics of food, and had a food blog for awhile... I don't know how much he stays up on it.

Honestly... I think food is something that they do like. Maybe a reasonably healthy high quality dark chocolate would be a good compromise.

salchowx4

On the Ice
What types of gifts do people usually prepare and/or mail to skaters? Chocolates? Flowers? Stuffed animals? I feel like (1) they probably can't eat junk food and (2) I can't imagine they'll be short on flowers and stuffed animals! Lol! Has anyone tried making dresses for skaters and have they worn them? Thanks :)

You are right that they're never short on flowers and stuffed animals. In fact, most gifts thrown on the ice end up getting donated.

You have the right idea to think creatively. Something special is far more likely to be kept than something that is just like all of the other gifts.

MGstyle

Medalist
IMO the fan gift that topped it all ever was the custom made music box the Russian fan gave to Stèphane Lambiel at a fan meeting in Moscow after Kings On Ice, back in 2010. The box featured a little spinning figure modelled after yours truly at the centre, and rotated with the music when opened!!!
https://it.pinterest.com/pin/123567583496857820/
the red shirt with the writing of his name in the shape of the white cross (as in the swiss flag) was also a present from them.
sorry I tried to find a video of it, I know I have seen it but it is such a long time ago, I can't find it now :(

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Some fans put really much effort in their gifts. What Denis Ten received: https://www.instagram.com/p/_oBsE6O4xH/?taken-by=tenis_den I was amazed what one person can do for their favourites!
Not that I think it should be standard or anything, but I think skaters deeply apprecieate any handworks or art or other 'done-by-myself' gifts :)

Last edited:

MGstyle

Medalist
Some fans put really much effort in ther gifts. What Denis Ten received: https://www.instagram.com/p/_oBsE6O4xH/?taken-by=tenis_den I was amazed what one person can do for their favorites!
Not that I think it should be standard or anything, but I think skaters deeply apprecieate any handworks or art or other 'done-by-myself' gifts :)

OMG that is wonderful!!! He must have been really touched, the best gift ever! :luv17: Too bad I neither have talent nor patience for anything remotely like that... :palmf:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Denis Ten got very cute bear with his costume on it at TEB... he and Frank seemed to like it.

https://youtu.be/-bC5Bt_eyaM?t=232

They do seem to like personal stuff.

Honestly though, I think they are actually mostly food hounds with a massive sweet tooth, so even if they are not supposed to eat junk... I think they still are very happy get sugar.

Examples are

Gracie discovering candy in a giant bear

https://youtu.be/9BsSozHzUBQ?t=356

Gracie and Carly also responded to an offer of free cupcakes are worlds

https://twitter.com/CarlyCGold/status/714881424474636292
... and other skaters showed interest as well.

I think Chase Belmontes was told told basically "you are an athlete stop tweeting about doughnuts and cupcakes" at one point... but he still cheats.

Sean Rabbitt is often posting pics of food, and had a food blog for awhile... I don't know how much he stays up on it.

Honestly... I think food is something that they do like. Maybe a reasonably healthy high quality dark chocolate would be a good compromise.

Thank you for sharing this...I'd seen that cupcake conversation because I follow most of the involved parties :laugh: on Twitter. But, because I've never felt the need to put myself through a viewing of Gracie's 4CC FS, I hadn't ever seen the bear! Her face when she found out there was candy in it was priceless :laugh2:

Speaking of Chase Belmontes, someone threw an unwrapped cupcake on the ice for him at 2015 Nationals. That is definitely a good example of what not to give as a toss gift! :laugh: I seriously wonder how they managed to get all of that off of the ice...

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I think if I were a skater, I'd be afraid to eat any food item that wasn't factory-sealed. Packaged candy would be alright, but homemade stuff? No thanks. You never know where it came from & there are some seriously disturbed people out there.

MGstyle

Medalist
I think if I were a skater, I'd be afraid to eat any food item that wasn't factory-sealed. Packaged candy would be alright, but homemade stuff? No thanks. You never know where it came from & there are some seriously disturbed people out there.

Indeed. I heard from an insider that Kori Ade instructed Jason (and other students of hers I am sure) not to accept edible gifts from anyone, unless it is factory sealed.

narcissa

Record Breaker
I'm learning to sew so definitely want try sewing something personal for a few skaters...maybe a headband? Or a dress? Not sure :D