Little House on the Prarie | Golden Skate

Little House on the Prarie

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I couldn't sleep last night so I was channel surfing (all 6 stations... whoopie! LOL) and ET was on... they're remaking Little House on the Prarie

and I'm not sure what to think... on one hand Michael Landon didn't look like "Pa Ingalls" the way Laura described him in her book... but on the other hand that TV show was classic....

anyone care to venture opinions? LOL

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Toni.......as a huge, huge fan of Lauga Ingalls Wilder, I was initially disappointed with the casting and story lines of the t.v. series, "Little House On The Prairie"...a lot of creative license was used to make these shows. If they are remaking this series, I hope it is more true to form and follows the storyline and characters that Mrs. Wilder penned so distinctly.......42

Longhornliz

Final Flight
show-

I saw the ET blurb about it as well... and one of the actresses was saying that this incarnation of LHOTP would be very different. They would focus more on the hardships and struggles instead of glazing over the reality of frontier life as the original series did. Perhaps it will be a mix of PBS' Frontier house and the old series...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
oh no doubt it was creative license... and there's definate room for improvement... it's just going to be really weird!

but the girl playing Laura in teh new show doesn't have brown hair! LOL

Antilles

Medalist
Hmm. Remakes usually worry me. It probably won't have the same magic as the books or the original tv show. TV networks will do whatever they think will bring in the most ratings.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Remake of Little House? Oh no! Though perhaps the original series did take "license" with the books, I thought the show captured the charm of the stories. Laura was portrayed well by Melissa Gilbert (especially as a child). Those were the best episodes. I think the stories may have wandered a little when the children were grown up. It will be interesting to see how the new series develops.

Last edited:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
No matter what, I still love the show and will always love it. I hope the new one will still get the same or similar feelings. Maybe they'll bring on my favorite again. The Walton's. Those are all my favorites like Lucy, Happy Days, Andy Griffith. Too bad nowadays they just want sex and violence. Sure lost me.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
For Grgranny......................

Goodnight Grgranny

Goodnight Lad

Goodnight Antilles

Goodnight Toni

Goodnight Liz

Goodnight Show
:)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have never liked the Waltons

but I love Richard Thomas so John Boy is pretty cool(that's who he played right? I never paid close enough attention! LOL)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
No matter what, I still love the show and will always love it. I hope the new one will still get the same or similar feelings. Maybe they'll bring on my favorite again. The Walton's. Those are all my favorites like Lucy, Happy Days, Andy Griffith. Too bad nowadays they just want sex and violence. Sure lost me.

Ggranny, I totally agree! I would add Leave it to Beaver to my list. It's still my favorite show along with the Dick Van Dyke show. I watch the old reruns of Leave it to Beaver, still! Classic!

:D

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
"The Waltons" and "Little House" were two of my Grandmother's favorite shows. :cry:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I liked Beaver originally but he's too old to act that childish and can't stand it any more. Dick V D and Mary T Moore, more of my favorites. Are we getting off topic or what? Well, I should say I instead of we. :laugh:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I loved "The Waltons" but could never get into LHOTP--probably due to my total aversion to all things frontier and Western. I must have lived there in a past life and had a pretty bad time of it! :D

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
^---:laugh:

Off topic is good... we're talking about the same general topic....

heyang

Record Breaker
I only watched LHOTP when Mary went blind and when Laura met 'Manly' and their courtship. It actually made me cringe in a sense.

Pretty much grew up watching the Waltons, but it jumped the shark when Richard Thomas (John Boy) left the show. Didn't like when Momma left too. Missed Grandpa though. Even watched the re-union movies. for some reason the standout episode is the one where Momma had polio.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
How could I possibly forget
Three's Company, Designing Women & Golden Girls? I should have just started a new thread on these. Oh well.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I also agree that losing Richard Thomas leaving really made a difference.
I was very disgusted when the mother left the show. The word was out at the time she wanted more money. I always think it's really sad when people try to blackmail the show like that, especially Chrissi on Three's Company.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think the first few seasons of LHOTP were excellent. Then it sort of degenerated into a clean feel-good soap opera for those too sophisticated to watch soaps (though I did enjoy watching most seasons). The first seasons took creating license with what Laura Wilder wrote, which is OK. The later seasons took creating license with reality, pushing 20th century values onto 19th century characters; this is not OK.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Piel..... :)

LHOTP wasn't a bad series, I watched it every week hoping it would fall into sych with the book and finally just watched it for what it was, a cute weekly series that had very little to do with the brilliant stories told by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I think the worst casting was by Michael Landon as Pa. He was a very effective actor, but he was not Charles Ingalls.

I loved the Waltons and was a faithful viewer the entire run of the series. My fav has to be the "Homecoming", the pilot made with Patricia Neal as the original mother............42