Your favourite Scheherazade program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Your favourite Scheherazade program

miki88

Medalist
John Curry's version is the best. I'm generally not into competitive programs skated to this music, since the same dramatic parts are used and there's nothing really original. Mao's version was different but the twinkly music arrangement veered so far away from the original that it seemed like different music. The step sequence especially reminded me of theme to "I dream of Jeannie" which I kinda enjoy. :)

JMJ2015

Rinkside
Davis and White. I think they had such powerful music cuts. Whenever I watch someone else do it I think that it is so sad they aren't hitting the exact same highs and changes in tempo and the characteristics of the music. I do like Mao's version and Totmiana/Marinin (minus the horrible fall of course). Michelle Kwan too. But none are close to D/W, who brought that story alive.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Didn't Evan skate to Scheherazade at the Olympics in 2010? I'll go with Evan's 2010 LP.

It was an interesting choice for such a male skater, the tallest man with a tanned skin and burly physique in the field to perform to that music. His firebird gave me the same feeling. I still prefer his Carmen.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
My favourite is still Mao's, StSq and the choreo is just great. Kudos to TAT. The costume already catches my attention from the beginning (I saw this costume in person in an exhibition and it really stands out of all.)

I also like Davis/White's version. I really like that they included the prince/princess theme from the 3rd movement that they portrayed so well.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Does history truly only go back to 2010?

(thanks for the shout-out to Blumberg and Seibert, I have to go find that one)

John Curry. 1976 Oly Exhibition. He did it as a pro, but I prefer the "classical" (as opposed to half naked) costume

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o26Bb8bh3EM&nohtml5=False

ETA: And I'm sorry about being snarky about history, because I know it can't be your favorite if you haven't seen it. I'm being wistful:sad21: Yes, I saw John Curry skate. And when folks of my era go out, I hope someone still posts for the Currys of the skating world...

Don't worry. Even people like me in their 20s will never allow the magnificence of John Curry to ever be forgotten. :)

meepers

Rinkside
Does history truly only go back to 2010?

Sorry... guilty. >_<

My favorites are:

1) Mao - Loved her Princess Jasmine-like costume and her step sequence covering the whole rink on one foot.

2) Yuna - I have a hard time not thinking of Yuna's spiral when I hear the big tutti part of the Young Prince and Princess.

3) Davis and White - Amazing (and I got to see it live!). The timing of the twizzles to the music was just perfect.

mrrice

Record Breaker
It was an interesting choice for such a male skater, the tallest man with a tanned skin and burly physique in the field to perform to that music. His firebird gave me the same feeling. I still prefer his Carmen.

Don't forget his unshaven face.....:drama: My Ballet Teacher would never have let us go on stage unshaven but, I guess it made him look more masculine. Here's the thing about Schaherazade.......It's a snooze to dance to and was BY FAR my least favorite Ballet. Give me Firebird any day..... I think someone needs to hand Frank a book of music and help him expand his musical choices. Firebird and Scheherazde are now off limits for him.....

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Don't worry. Even people like me in their 20s will never allow the magnificence of John Curry to ever be forgotten. :)

Everybody who really loves skating either loves, or will eventually love, John Curry. I remember searching for him after Peggy Fleming talked about him. Then of course, he was often talked about in the gay community because he was a high profile athlete who died of AIDS. Very Sad!!!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Everybody who really loves skating either loves, or will eventually love, John Curry. I remember searching for him after Peggy Fleming talked about him. Then of course, he was often talked about in the gay community because he was a high profile athlete who died of AIDS. Very Sad!!!
Yes, the story of his personal life is very sad indeed :(

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Based on costuming alone, I'd have to grow with Meryl and Charlie (both of Meryl's dresses were fabulous!), Anna, and Mao.

Caroline's dress was icky. Kinda reminds me of Kaitlyn Weaver's SD dance this past season with all the jewellery bling around the neck. Less is more, ladies, less is more.

kwanette

Final Flight
I loved Blumberg and Siebert's Schez, as well as Michelle's. But since neither had Oly "success" with it, it always made me a little sad. Charlie and Meryl changed that for me..thankfully..

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Davis / White by some margin.

Last edited:

johnsmith72

On the Ice
I love Yuna's version. Absolutely fantastic choreography by David Wilson and she performed it magnificantly. Her facial expressions and splendidly soft arm movements really sold that program. She was so fierce at Worlds that year and owned that arena :)

Last edited: