Translation: Canon Interviews Hanyu WC 2016 | Golden Skate

Translation: Canon Interviews Hanyu WC 2016

Interspectator

Record Breaker
A very in-depth and interesting interview in which Hanyu looks at his successes and failures at the World Championships.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1610393525875114/permalink/1708338432747289/
http://web.canon.jp/event/skating/interview/int_hanyu04_1.html
Thank you so much Ayako from the International Fan Page for the translation.

If you were watching me practice you must know that my feelings were a mess. I was irritated and angry/frustrated with myself that I could not even land my 3A which is something that should have come to me easily. From there on, my practice run through became a mess. Later on, thinking back, I felt I was being very self-centered. At that very moment I was thinking that I got where I am solely because of my own efforts. I regret it and I feel frustrated that I forgot about all the people who have supported me (over the years) for even one second.

About the SP

I felt good. That’s all. I did my best to place importance on the background of Chopin’s Ballade No. 1, the musicians and the feelings of my fans, and I was able to skate feeling good about it. I think I could have done it a lot better though. Grading myself, I was able to do 70% of what I wanted to do.

New Programs

I’m going to change both my SP and FP. I can’t do Chopin’s Ballade No. 1 for three seasons in a row! (laughter) I won’t be doing SEIMEI next season either, but I don’t have any idea what I will be skating to yet. However, through SEIMEI, it made me think more about my artistry and how to better express myself on the ice. When I started skating to Ballade No. 1, two seasons ago, I had no idea how to do it. However, through skating to SEIMEI, I have learned what it really means to feel the music and how to express myself. Because of the learnings from SEIMEI, I was able to understand Ballade No. 1 better than before, and could translate this into my artistry/expression. Next season, will I narrow down what I can do best? Or will I try to expand the scope of what I can do well? I need to think about this.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
At the end of the interview it seems that he is already moving forward in his mind to the next challenge.
He needs to rest and recover from his injury but I think this forced rest away from shows and other stresses that come with being in Japan will help him concentrate on his new programs.

He says he wants a Jazz program so that will be interesting to see.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Great interview, thank you so much for posting! He is such a thoughtful, articulate, person, with a great deal of self-awareness. Those qualities come through in his skating, and as impressive as his technical expertise is, it's the on-ice expression of that desire to grow and challenge himself that really draws me in.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i like the first paragraph... i think it shows maturity in the making, when Yuzu realizes that there is a whole team behind him and many fans with him.... performing is not about oneself, it's about others. So it's good he is realizing that.

Regarding his own 70% SP grade ???? that is a bit harsh no? How would he mark his LP ? 20 % ? Also, considering the huge fist pump/roar at the end of the SP, I don't think he felt 70% ;)

I am looking at this interview with great curiosity... it's not really traditional for Yuzu to say his feelings were a mess .... is it ? very interesting post.. thanks specs

Interspectator

Record Breaker
i like the first paragraph... i think it shows maturity in the making, when Yuzu realizes that there is a whole team behind him and many fans with him.... performing is not about oneself, it's about others. So it's good he is realizing that.

Regarding his own 70% SP grade ???? that is a bit harsh no? How would he mark his LP ? 20 % ? Also, considering the huge fist pump/roar at the end of the SP, I don't think he felt 70% ;)

I am looking at this interview with great curiosity... it's not really traditional for Yuzu to say his feelings were a mess .... is it ? very interesting post.. thanks specs

You are welcome.
Yuzu is quite harsh when judging himself. Even when he did his best programs this year he only said he was 'satisfied'.
But he did look extremely pumped when he finished the SP.
I enjoy the Canon interviews because they tend to be longer and ask questions that require more than a standard 'nice' answer. Boyang, Satoko, and a lot of other skaters were interviewed by them this year.

At another time, Yuzu explained that giving interviews and sharing his thoughts and emotions, he is able to sort through them and come to a conclusion.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yuzu will learn to get more satisfied when getting older, i hope at least! it's not healthy to be harsh and self-judging... it may be a reason why sometimes he cannot perform to the level of his potential... in any case, i always find it interesting to hear/read in depth interviews...
You are welcome.
Yuzu is quite harsh when judging himself. Even when he did his best programs this year he only said he was 'satisfied'.
But he did look extremely pumped when he finished the SP.
I enjoy the Canon interviews because they tend to be longer and ask questions that require more than a standard 'nice' answer. Boyang, Satoko, and a lot of other skaters were interviewed by them this year.

At another time, Yuzu explained that giving interviews and sharing his thoughts and emotions, he is able to sort through them and come to a conclusion.