Arutyunyan on coaching Wagner Pt. 1 | Golden Skate

Arutyunyan on coaching Wagner Pt. 1

withwings

On the Ice
Oh...it might be difficult for Ashley...good, that she has a strong personality, and that she is used to difficulties... Arutyunyan seems not to be, as to say, not a psychologist...it is amazing that Ashley takes the best what he can offer/teach to her, and that she has ability to forget/ignore what he cannot offer. It certainly is some kind of maturity, and, yes, determination as well as... it seems to be a good tandem. Amazing, just amazing. I wish there would be someone in her team, who can open her gentle side. She may try classical music. She may to bring out that hidden gentle and subtle side, which is there, in her...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
One thing I notice about Ashley, probably more than any other current woman skating, is that she never looks tired at the end of her programs. Rafael has her exceptionally fit and well-trained. I think this characteristic really helps her PCS scores in the LP because although other skaters might have better SS or more TR, most of them fizzle out at the end of their long programs. Ashley always looks strong from start to finish.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Oh...it might be difficult for Ashley...good, that she has a strong personality, and that she is used to difficulties... Arutyunyan seems not to be, as to say, not a psychologist...it is amazing that Ashley takes the best what he can offer/teach to her, and that she has ability to forget/ignore what he cannot offer. It certainly is some kind of maturity, and, yes, determination as well as... it seems to be a good tandem. Amazing, just amazing. I wish there would be someone in her team, who can open her gentle side. She may try classical music. She may to bring out that hidden gentle and subtle side, which is there, in her...

To me, Ashley is one of the few skaters that actually have a voice that's clearly reflected in her choice of programs. A lot of skaters seemed to have their program chosen by their team or choreographers with little or no input. Out of all skaters, Ashely seems to know what she does best, which is big, theatrical skating. She has done a lot of classical, gentler music like Romeo and Juliet, Red Violin, Samson and Delillah and clearly the programs she does for the last two seasons are the one she enjoys the most.

Obviously, if she wants to try softer music, then she should be able to do so. But if she wants to stick to her strenghts, then as a fan, I wouldn't object to it either :dance3:

Last edited:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well props to the interviewer for nodding his head in agreement instead of my reaction which would have been "what the ???" Elevators vs escalators and couches vs benches, I'm confused.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
One thing I notice about Ashley, probably more than any other current woman skating, is that she never looks tired at the end of her programs. Rafael has her exceptionally fit and well-trained. I think this characteristic really helps her PCS scores in the LP because although other skaters might have better SS or more TR, most of them fizzle out at the end of their long programs. Ashley always looks strong from start to finish.
I did hear Ashley say once that at the end of her program she is so tired she doesn't even want to skate to the boards and the kiss and cry. But I also think she is very strong and of course extremely fit. If she is tired towards the end of her program she certainly doesn't show it.
I think Raphael is a perfect fit for her.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I used to really not enjoy her skating when she was younger, but I've developed an appreciation and enjoyment of her skating now. What is she now, 25? And still keeps fighting to hang on to those triple triples and gives a mature fiery performance on the ice. It's so great to see her maintain the longevity of her career, because as you age, it gets harder and harder. She looks so fit right now. I hope she keeps going for as long as she can.

boskil

Match Penalty
Well props to the interviewer for nodding his head in agreement instead of my reaction which would have been "what the ???" Elevators vs escalators and couches vs benches, I'm confused.
What's there to be confused about? The message is clear: he's always searching for challenges in his life and would like his top student to do the same. Tough and competitive guy.

Layfan

Record Breaker
What's there to be confused about? The message is clear: he's always searching for challenges in his life and would like his top student to do the same. Tough and competitive guy.

Yes, I thought the metaphor was quite clear myself. And it makes sense. There is always that temptation, no matter how hard a worker you are, to concentrate on what you do best because it makes you feel good. The coach's job is to make sure the skater the skater doesn't fall into that trap.

Anyway, fun interview.