2016-2017 Programs by Discipline | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 Programs by Discipline

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh, and here's an interview with Maria Sotskova, in which she, amongst other things, talks about her upcoming programs:

http://fs-gossips.com/maria-sotskova-free-program-is-a-continuation-of-the-short/

"Have you alredy did programs?

Maria: Yes. Peter Chernyshev did a free program, and Nikita Mikhailov did a short program. And it happened so, that free program is a continuation of the short. Briefly touching the story line, in short program – I’m like in a cocoon, trying to get out, but it’s hard. Therefore, the program has some modern choreography, modern movements, which we’re now improving, polishing with our choreographer Irina Tagaeva. And free program is light, airy. Pupa turned into a butterfly, and can flit, fly …

Who is the author of such idea?

Maria: Elena Germanovna. She offered to make free program flying, airy, and short – on contrast. Originally, in the short program was planned other music, but in the work process appeared the idea to unite both program by the music of same composer – Alfred Schnittke. Honestly, I’m very grateful to everyone – coach, choreographers for their help, because it’s a problem for me to find the music and come up with a theme for the new programs. Always someone else tells, finds, offers. I can’t do it myself yet."

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
And? It's an exhibition piece, as was already said before. I think exhibition numbers are the right vehicle for experiments with new choreographers and styles (music and movement). If there are people who dislike the music and style for them (or in general), it's not a huge problem, as it would be if it was an FD and judges were the people who disliked it.

Good point. It was their Peter Tchernyshev choreographed exhibition to Coldplay's "O" and the great audience and fan reception to that exhibition in 2014-2015 that lead to "Fix You" the following year.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Oh, and here's an interview with Maria Sotskova, in which she, amongst other things, talks about her upcoming programs:

http://fs-gossips.com/maria-sotskova-free-program-is-a-continuation-of-the-short/

"Have you alredy did programs?

Maria: Yes. Peter Chernyshev did a free program, and Nikita Mikhailov did a short program. And it happened so, that free program is a continuation of the short. Briefly touching the story line, in short program – I’m like in a cocoon, trying to get out, but it’s hard. Therefore, the program has some modern choreography, modern movements, which we’re now improving, polishing with our choreographer Irina Tagaeva. And free program is light, airy. Pupa turned into a butterfly, and can flit, fly …

Who is the author of such idea?

Maria: Elena Germanovna. She offered to make free program flying, airy, and short – on contrast. Originally, in the short program was planned other music, but in the work process appeared the idea to unite both program by the music of same composer – Alfred Schnittke. Honestly, I’m very grateful to everyone – coach, choreographers for their help, because it’s a problem for me to find the music and come up with a theme for the new programs. Always someone else tells, finds, offers. I can’t do it myself yet."

Hmm...the SP actually could be Tango in a Madhouse. Cool! Wonder what the FS is.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Anastasia Cannuscio & Colin McManus USA
SD Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)" by Nico Vega and "Run Boy Run (Instrumental)" by Woodkid for a Blues/Hip-Hop program inspired by Bonnie and Clyde.
FD

SunDae

Rinkside
Sean Rabbitt SP: East of Eden by Lee Holdridge; choreography by himself :) https://www.instagram.com/p/BF48IxCieWz/

Such a stirring choice of music. I recall when Rachael Flatt chose it for a short program there was the anticipatable grumbling that it was Kwan's music, but Rachael skated with such expression to the music that it was beautiful and satisfying to see in its own right. I'm sure Sean will love training to it throughout the year, and it is music his rink mates will get inspiration from as well. Wishing him joy with it this season.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Such a stirring choice of music. I recall when Rachael Flatt chose it for a short program there was the anticipatable grumbling that it was Kwan's music, but Rachael skated with such expression to the music that it was beautiful and satisfying to see in its own right. I'm sure Sean will love training to it throughout the year, and it is music his rink mates will get inspiration from as well. Wishing him joy with it this season.

I like Rachael's East of Eden far better than Kwan's although the too vivid yellow costume was not desirable. However, my ultimate East of Eden version is Tatsuki Machida's performance so far. I hope Sean makes a breakthrough with the new program next season just like Tatsuki did. :cheer:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Anyone knows which fantasy for violin for shoma ? I saw it was listed on the first page but no composer so I wonder. It could be so many things :) excited. :)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Amy Lin had her SP choreographed by David Wilson and her FS choreographed by Pasquale Camerlengo.

IceVampire

Rinkside
*** is Chock and Bates thinking with that choice of music??????!!!!! That can't be right. That's not the right fit for an ice dance program. Would not even work for an exhibition.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Ivan Righini keeps his SP from last year and is working on a new FS but the music not yet announced. In Italian on his website: http://www.ivanrighini.it/news/

But concerning Chock and Bates - I actually think that Under Pressure by Queen and Bowie is not a bad choice at all. I listened to it recently and it's just about the right length without a need for cutting (I hope so at least), the lyrics have a strong and simple theme and the song structure, tempo etc varies a great deal with highs and lows, tension and release. But of course there is always the possiblity of butchering it with bad cuts and not getting very much out of the song itself into the choreo. They're not my faves really, but this I am looking forward to this with a bit of interest at least.

E

IceVampire

Rinkside
Ivan Righini keeps his SP from last year and is working on a new FS but the music not yet announced. In Italian on his website: http://www.ivanrighini.it/news/

But concerning Chock and Bates - I actually think that Under Pressure by Queen and Bowie is not a bad choice at all. I listened to it recently and it's just about the right length without a need for cutting (I hope so at least), the lyrics have a strong and simple theme and the song structure, tempo etc varies a great deal with highs and lows, tension and release. But of course there is always the possiblity of butchering it with bad cuts and not getting very much out of the song itself into the choreo. They're not my faves really, but this I am looking forward to this with a bit of interest at least.

E

IMHO, it's a very bad choice. I can't imagine even some of the all time great teams, like D/W and V/M attempting something like this. This has tacky written all over it. The problem is this music in itself gives you nothing. No emotion. No drama. No buildup. No excitement. No crescendo. Nothing. And we have to remember Chock and Bates are not the most natural of skaters, so for them to go and pick a piece of music like this, all I can do is smdh.

This upcoming season is very important. The olympics are just 2 years away but the next season sets the tone. This is not the time for experiments or on-the-job training. Chock and Bates are already losing ground, partly because of their horrible music selection. This will make the second season in a row where they made bad music choices. I'm not sure who's advising them but they need to seek a second opinion. They chose Rachmaninoff, when everyone in skating knows that skating to Rachmaninoff is bad luck. On top of that they are not the type of skaters for this type of music. Just look at what music choice alone did for the Shibutani's. They picked perfect music and let their skating do the rest. So if this music choice for Chock and Bates is real, watch as Miss Hubbell zoom right past them next season.

Last edited:

Astrid56

Final Flight
Have you seen Torvill and Dean's 'The Hop', 'Rock & Roll', 'Cecilia', and other fast numbers? Christopher Dean's the right choreographer for C/B's "Under Pressure" routine. I'm sure with Dean's choreographic touch, C/B will rock this routine and regain what they lost (if they did lose?). Funny, how consistently getting a silver in a competition translate to "losing ground". Given the choreographic changes they did to their FD, they managed to rise to the top now ranked #1. If the World's were done elsewhere, I doubt they would end up 3rd. The Shibs had a great run but if you analyzed their World's scores, C/B didn't lose much. Evan had a twizzle problem and that cost them a little over 2 points (just 2.24 points despite the Shibs' flawless SD), but in the FD, the Shibs barely edged them out _ a mere .42 points (even less than a half point). The season has yet to begin and some are already predicting gloom and doom for C/B, geez!