2016-2017 Programs by Discipline | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 Programs by Discipline

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Listen, I'm all for people loving what they love and being lovely about it. I actually really like the score of Evita. It's just I'm sick of hearing Phantom.

Why doesn't anyone use one of the finest Broadway scores of the last few years: A Light in the Piazza. This is my favorite song from the show, Dividing Day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3cB_MaIWyE

Agree. There needs to be a list of BANNED songs cause they're overused. I get you have the freedom to choose, but there's a limit to that in some ways.

Weathergal

Medalist
Jason Brown is keeping his The Piano FS, and just announced his new SP, which he will debut at TCC this week.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/04/18/173017632

2016-2017 Season
SP Secret Garden's "Appassionata."
FS The Piano soundtrack (Big My Secret and The Scent of Love)

I'm generally not a fan of programs being used two seasons in a row, but I definitely understand when it's because a skater was injured and didn't really get to perform the program much, like with Joshua Farris and his "Schindler's List" program. I imagine most people won't be surprised that Jason's keeping his "The Piano" FS.

I'm hoping that it might help Jason since he does tend to be a little slow out of the gate, at least in part because of his complex choreography. Keeping the program will hopefully help him be able to focus on his recovery and on working other things he wants to improve, such as quads.

More than anything, I wish him continued good health and am really looking forward to seeing him perform again!

just to be on the safe side :palmf: I would like to add this to your candle

I agree--that was great! :laugh:

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I give up! The new season has officially started.

:cheer: :dance2:

<celebratory bodyrolls> <wootwooting from work>

big, big thanks for You @dorispulaski - for taking care once again of all this new season stuff which will be pouring over next few moths and some, for such brilliant organization :thank:

this will be very exciting, almost as actual competitions - all this waiting, announcements made by skaters, gossips, clips, quads and trixels in making...

butters

Rinkside
Listen, I'm all for people loving what they love and being lovely about it. I actually really like the score of Evita. It's just I'm sick of hearing Phantom.

Why doesn't anyone use one of the finest Broadway scores of the last few years: A Light in the Piazza. This is my favorite song from the show, Dividing Day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3cB_MaIWyE

Or how about The Book of Mormon? :biggrin: I've never seen that skated to before, but it would definitely make an interesting short program/free skate

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Christopher Dean had cut Bolero down (he may have been working with a musician or someone) to where he felt it would just ruin the music to cut it any more. They were at an impasse, and he (plus a coach maybe?) finally came up with what they could do. They found a technicality; according to the rules, a FS didn't start until the skaters' blades moved on the ice, so he choreographed that segment where he and Jayne were both on their knees, face to face. That solved the problem in a way that didn't involve butchering the music. I really love it when the parties involve respect the music.

I didn't know Charlie White cut his own music. (the things you learn ....) But besides being a fan of his wild, passionate skating, I admire his commentary for IN. He spoke of Papadakis/Cizeron's FS as "a piece of art" and that you don't think about technique when you watch it, you just never want it to end. I love that.

And, I can't help but say, even though I was tired of POTO from 2014-15, I think it's so great that Tarah and Danny went with the Streisand/Crawford duet of Music of the Night this year. It was a breakthrough year for them, and it was a piece of music that meant something to them. I think there's often a correlation there.:)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Charlie and music:

Charlie had a bet with NBC Olympic staff that he would play the violin on TV if he and Meryl won the the Olympics. I have often wondered what the staff would have had to do if they lost!

Charlie had not played for three years when he had to "pay up" (or should that be "play up") on his bet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej7ztY6_pTg

Someone asked one time about what cuts Charlie used for Davis & White's Giselle SD, a favorite SD of mine. Also we had a thread on music cutting here:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?55366-Good-Music-Music-Cuts

I suspect it was exactly his good ear for what works that led Charlie into cutting D&W's music-so many programs have choppy cuts, it must have driven him nuts, to saying, I can do that so much better.

I liked what he did with Scheherazade, but his Giselle SD was genius IMO.
Here's my best guesses. They are all from Act I of Giselle:

Opening bits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EQX1a87YV78#t=81s

Circular step
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6msXAYo3aEM#t=51s

The toe dancing as a pair piece
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6msXAYo3aEM&feature=player_detailpage#t=165s

Polka part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EQX1a87YV78#t=394s

Last bit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EQX1a87YV78#t=525s

Compare to clip of Meryl & Charlie's SD at Skate America (wish I had a better one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJLXmf7g79c

ETA Charlie's older brother, Jason is a heavy metal lead guitarist with the band Bloodline Riot. Thanks golden411!

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Aliona Savchenko posted a clip of her SP without music. Fans can guess what genre of music it will be.

And it looks like Penny Coomes and Nicholas Buckland may be dancing swing for their SD.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Christopher Dean had cut Bolero down (he may have been working with a musician or someone) to where he felt it would just ruin the music to cut it any more. They were at an impasse, and he (plus a coach maybe?) finally came up with what they could do. They found a technicality; according to the rules, a FS didn't start until the skaters' blades moved on the ice, so he choreographed that segment where he and Jayne were both on their knees, face to face. That solved the problem in a way that didn't involve butchering the music. I really love it when the parties involve respect the music.

I didn't know Charlie White cut his own music. (the things you learn ....) But besides being a fan of his wild, passionate skating, I admire his commentary for IN. He spoke of Papadakis/Cizeron's FS as "a piece of art" and that you don't think about technique when you watch it, you just never want it to end. I love that.

And, I can't help but say, even though I was tired of POTO from 2014-15, I think it's so great that Tarah and Danny went with the Streisand/Crawford duet of Music of the Night this year. It was a breakthrough year for them, and it was a piece of music that meant something to them. I think there's often a correlation there.:)

I didn't know about it - look what you can learn here :shocked: :agree:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't know about it - look what you can learn here :shocked: :agree:

:) :agree:

My memory nudged me a bit. I believe Chris Dean indeed worked with a musician, I think it was someone like an orchestra conductor, to shape the piece that would fit into a FS and also honor the music and the composer.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Charlie's older brother, Jason "Jay" Gutholm, is a heavy metal guitarist:
http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Jay_Gutholm/245116

Off topic, but I think Jason Caine is the name of Charlie's brother who is the heavy metal guitarist.

Per the FB link above, Jason Gutholm appears to be the GM of Jason Caine's band. (Or are you saying that Jason Caine and Jason Gutholm are the same person??)

Not quite yet ready. I am planning summer projects first...

Lol. :) enjoy the well deserved break

Thank you for the early start on this thread, Doris.

I have a feeling that your summer projects would not be a break from GS, although you certainly deserve one.
But I think you mean that you have some summer projects for GS up your sleeve (such as the many fan fest threads you worked very hard on last summer).
In any case, thank you for your year-round devotion to GS.

Last edited:

Skye

On the Ice
Jason Brown is keeping his The Piano FS, and just announced his new SP, which he will debut at TCC this week.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/04/18/173017632

2016-2017 Season
SP Secret Garden's "Appassionata."
FS The Piano soundtrack (Big My Secret and The Scent of Love)

Sorry to say I'm not too thrilled about Jason's choice of music. The Scent of Love was not the best vehicle for him (IMO) but I could understand what he was aiming for with that program. Appassionata has a very similar, soft and lyrical style, and unless Jason has acquired the skating skills of Patrick Chan while recovering from his injury, it's going to be one snoozefest after another. I wish he could do at least 1 program that highlights his amazing performance ability.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Jason said he loved his SP, but it was hard on his back.

golden411,

I am sure you are correct about Jason Caine, since I am quite sure Bloodline Riot is the name of the band (I could not remember the band name before.)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason said he loved his SP, but it was hard on his back.

golden411,

I am sure you are correct about Jason Caine, since I am quite sure Bloodline Riot is the name of the band (I could not remember the band name before.)

Makes sense. Good reason to switch.

samm22

On the Ice
Why is Marin skating to Romeo and Juliet???? Hopefully it's the Ballet and not the (significantly more overused) score by Nino Rota. POTO, R and J, and Carmen should be banned. Also no one under any circumstance should use Nutcracker...it's torture for ballet dancers who have a love/hate relationships with that particular score after being forced to listen to it 24/7 from the beginning of September to the end of December every year. Anyway, holding out hope that Marin will bring her gorgeous lines and feel for the music into a heart-felt R and J program to set herself apart from the myriad of R and J programs we've seen the past several seasons.

Also, I don't mind Jason keeping his long, since it was beautiful and he never really performed it to its full potential with his injury and having to withdraw. My only concern now is that his short seems to be of a similar style to his long, and he won't have a program that he can show his performance ability as much. I'm just hoping for an injury free Jason next season, and with that long program, a quad (while necessary) is icing on the cake for me.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why is Marin skating to Romeo and Juliet???? Hopefully it's the Ballet and not the (significantly more overused) score by Nino Rota. POTO, R and J, and Carmen should be banned. Also no one under any circumstance should use Nutcracker...it's torture for ballet dancers who have a love/hate relationships with that particular score after being forced to listen to it 24/7 from the beginning of September to the end of December every year. Anyway, holding out hope that Marin will bring her gorgeous lines and feel for the music into a heart-felt R and J program to set herself apart from the myriad of R and J programs we've seen the past several seasons.

Also, I don't mind Jason keeping his long, since it was beautiful and he never really performed it to its full potential with his injury and having to withdraw. My only concern now is that his short seems to be of a similar style to his long, and he won't have a program that he can show his performance ability as much. I'm just hoping for an injury free Jason next season, and with that long program, a quad (while necessary) is icing on the cake for me.

Agree. Like I feel like coaches should encourage their students to look through the music players to find songs they LIKE, even it's non-traditional skating music and tell the names to their coaches and see if they can agree together on songs.

samm22

On the Ice
Agree. Like I feel like coaches should encourage their students to look through the music players to find songs they LIKE, even it's non-traditional skating music and tell the names to their coaches and see if they can agree together on songs.

This!!!! This is why Mirai's short was so effective this season, why Ashley kept Moulin Rouge, why Duhamel and Radford had such a moment in their long program at worlds, and why so many people responded to the Shibs free dance. They genuinely loved their music, and were able to create something of their own because of it.

Last edited: