Biggest shockers of the season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Biggest shockers of the season

Rissa

Record Breaker
Yuzuru's amazing resurgence at NHK :)eeking:) and then his come down at Worlds :)sad21:)

Yea, Yuzu's record was a shocker and the his meltdown was another shocker, the latter one was actually the biggest one for me.

I agree with others that Ashley winning bronze and Radio ending up 6th is pretty shocking too. Also, Pogo actually having two great skates under pressure, without her trademark horrible falls.

But I think the greatest shockers, after Yuzu's meltdown, was what happened before and at Junior Worlds, first both most solid boy candidates getting injured and having to withdraw, then the same happening with girls a day and an hour before the competition.

senatormls

On the Ice
Good thread, many shockers come to mind that have already been said on this thread. Liza having a bummer season ( from penthouse to basement) is a big shocker. She wasn't near her form from the '14-'15 season. Doping in ice dance? GLIH! Satoko not medaling at worlds after a fantastic season. I can also say that the deep field in the ladies' competition was a shock! Finally, a world's ladies' competition to savor! While we are on the subject of worlds, all four gold medalists had LP's to die for; no wobbles, falls, or stumbling. All four were worthy of their respective golds. I know Pogo has had a lot of press, but she did shock me with her two clean performances at worlds.
Not shocking: all these comebacks fumbling ( Mao, Chan and Voloshazar/ Trankov). One needs to learn from Aliona!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Juulia Turkkila and Mathias Versluis to form an ice dance team at the end of season.

Wait, what? Wasn't Juulia a decent single skater? I presume they will compete at junior level for now?

Vash01

Medalist
There were so many shockers this year!

1.Liza Tuk not making the world team
2.Anna skating great just in time to make the world team and even winning a medal at worlds
3.No Russian pair on the podium at worlds
4.Han Yan not qualifying for LP at worlds
5.Shibs winning the US nationals and the world silver
6.Elena Radionova finishing 6th at worlds after clean SP and clean LP
7.The rise and dominance of Zhenya Medvedeva
8.US men qualifying for only 2 spots for next year after stellar skates by all three men
9.Weaver & Poje in 5th place at worlds
10.Hanyu's meltdown at worlds LP, after the season he had, and after that masterful SP performance
11.Mirai at worlds, and skating well
12.Volosozhar & Trankov finishing as the lowest placed Russian pair at worlds
13.Neither Josh nor Jason at the US Nationals
14.No Japanese lady on the podium at worlds
15.Duhamel-Radford defending their world title
16.Bobrova-Soloviev not at worlds (again!)
17.Misha Kolyada in the final flight for LP, despite skating very early in the SP
18.Julia Lipnitskaya moving to Urmanov as her new coach

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
One of the first big shockers not mentioned here before: Sara Hurtado & Adria Diaz splitting :cry:

Amei

Record Breaker
18.Julia Lipnitskaya moving to Urmanov as her new coach

I think the big shocker there for me was how much better she did like 3 weeks after leaving Eteri for him - it really speaks to how much a change in scenery can be good for a skater.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Biggest shocker has been the overall push in jump difficulty for Men this season, especially Javier taking on the challenge and skating perfectly in the LP at Worlds. Never would have expected him to do that. I really was in shock when he landed that second Triple Axel late into the program.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the big shocker there for me was how much better she did like 3 weeks after leaving Eteri for him - it really speaks to how much a change in scenery can be good for a skater.

Scenery? The advantage seemed to me to come from the change in coaches, to one from whom she appears to be receiving the emotional support she needs. Of course, I can't read Julia's mind. It was a definite impression, though. She looks happy to skate too, especially to the Elvis program.:luv17:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For me the most shocking thing was the number of injuries that sidelined so many skaters from part or the entire season - maybe my memory is short, but I can't recall a season where so many skaters were dropping like flies.

I hope the increased difficulty of the sport doesn't keep them down for long. There has to be a smarter way to train and do the harder jumps without so many injuries.

Another shocking thing is how much can change in a year for a skater's fortune. A year ago, people on this board were saying Mirai Nagasu should retire and lo and behold, she proved everyone wrong with a silver at 4CCs and a 10th place finish at Worlds. A year ago, Liza T looked unbeatable and she didn't even qualify for Worlds. A year ago, I don't think anyone thought Ashley or the Shibs could get Silver at Worlds, but they defied expectations and did it. And these are just a few examples.

One of the reasons I love figure skating are the stories - it's an unpredictable, thrilling and heartbreaking sport.

Amei

Record Breaker
Scenery? The advantage seemed to me to come from the change in coaches, to one from whom she appears to be receiving the emotional support she needs. Of course, I can't read Julia's mind. It was a definite impression, though. She looks happy to skate too, especially to the Elvis program.:luv17:

I went with scenery because it's all encompassing of the whole skating school/club, coaching and culture, and Yulia has spoken out about how nice it is in Sochi, which is literal 'scenery' change.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Maybe for me it was 300 points in men category. I remember when I watched men SP at NHK I was wondering if someone will ever get 300 in total. I didn't watch the FS at NHK live so I woke up the next day and that was it. Also very shocking (on a very positive note) was that Shibs won US title over Chock/Bates. And then this year's whole Worlds. Like I have probably never seen a competition like this one. So many clean programs!!! Amazing performances, Ashley winning a medal. It was a great surprise to have a men champion who skated perfectly clean FP. Or seeing Pogorilaya skating BOTH of her programs clean, same with Ashley. Aliona actually getting a medal. Everything about this competition was shocking. Also was great, seeing Florant Amodio skating clean FP at Euros, his last competition, after very long time of struggling :)

Negative side: Polina Tsurskaya, who I considered as a main favorite for a world junior title had to WD from the championships.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I didn't see Marin's Junior World title coming. At all. But I like her a lot, so that is a good thing. :agree:

Also on the junior side, except not positive, I didn't see the downfall of Sima Sakhanovich coming either.

I would've thought you were out of your mind if you told me that Emily Chan would beat Vivian Le for the US junior title. (This one's bittersweet...I love both of them, and obviously one of them had to win, but I was so sure it was going to be Vivian that it was kind of sad that she didn't).

Also never saw the Shibs' Nationals or 4CC wins coming, or their WSM, but I was hoping it would happen, so it wasn't as much of a surprise as it might otherwise have been.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I went with scenery because it's all encompassing of the whole skating school/club, coaching and culture, and Yulia has spoken out about how nice it is in Sochi, which is literal 'scenery' change.

You're right, I've read that remark I think, well a translation. Makes sense that each skater may thrive with a different style of coaching, different culture, even different training mates.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For me the most shocking thing was the number of injuries that sidelined so many skaters from part or the entire season - maybe my memory is short, but I can't recall a season where so many skaters were dropping like flies.

I hope the increased difficulty of the sport doesn't keep them down for long. There has to be a smarter way to train and do the harder jumps without so many injuries.

Another shocking thing is how much can change in a year for a skater's fortune. A year ago, people on this board were saying Mirai Nagasu should retire and lo and behold, she proved everyone wrong with a silver at 4CCs and a 10th place finish at Worlds. A year ago, Liza T looked unbeatable and she didn't even qualify for Worlds. A year ago, I don't think anyone thought Ashley or the Shibs could get Silver at Worlds, but they defied expectations and did it. And these are just a few examples.

One of the reasons I love figure skating are the stories - it's an unpredictable, thrilling and heartbreaking sport.

I would agree about the Shibs and Ashley. This time last year, I certainly did not think that they would medal at Worlds this year.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Mikhail Kolyada skating in final group in Boston was most pleasantest of surprises only surpassed by his beating two skaters from that final group and finishing in 4th at his debut Worlds
Level of ladies competition - didnt expect that the likes of Laurine, Mae Berenice & Natalie & Ivett won't even qualify for the long

boskil

Match Penalty
Non-Russian DEBUTANT claiming junior worlds gold medal had been unimaginable before season started. 1 to 1000 chance maybe. :reye:
Bravo Marin!:yahoo:

sc8

On the Ice
--All three US men landing in top 10 at worlds. I was hopeful that one would land there, so that's exciting (and disappointing that they lost a worlds spot)
--Pogo being fall free at worlds and getting the bronze
--No Russian pair on the worlds podium
--Fernandez defending the world title
--Wagner's world silver a her PB score over 210, very unexpected but wonderful