Figure Skating Practice Wear for a Boy | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Practice Wear for a Boy

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What's wrong with regular trackpants and a t-shirt?

The older boys (young men) at my rink prefer those skins-style leggings, but really, for a four-five year old, trackpants are really fine.

Alberta

Rinkside
Thanks you! My boy is 3 years old and skinny, so he's swimming in the pants that are available in stores. They're also too loose in the waist and a little bit too long, so he looks kind of messy - that's why we're looking for a one-piece. I think we'll probably end up trying a costume maker.

Alberta

Rinkside
I would still prefer a one-piece because it's super warm, looks really nice and will work better for a 3-year-old super skinny boy.

Sk8DSmom

Rinkside
For a 3 year old just something that will keep him warm is enough. You can always use hockey type long johns under a pair of track pants or wind pants over track pants. Unless he's already jumping singles and looking to compete, there is no need to spend a lot of money on practice gear until he's really moving and jumping. If all else fails, buy all black girl track pants as no one will be able to tell the difference if you really can't find anything slim enough. I've done that in the past wih my son albiet a long time ago. Proper practice skating pants are between $80-$100 which is really hard to justify cost for a 3 yr old.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would still prefer a one-piece because it's super warm, looks really nice and will work better for a 3-year-old super skinny boy.

Until he grows out of it in three months. If that.

He is three years old. You don't even know if he'll want to continue, let alone take it to the point of jumping etc. It seems absolutely ridiculous to spend money on a special training outfit at this age and stage.

Jason Brown started at 3 - and if you watch the adorable instagram videos of him when he was tiny and learning his Axel, he was wearing, guess what? A t-shirt and trackpants!

Alberta

Rinkside
I know he'll grow out of whatever practice wear we'll get him eventually - I don't expect his clothes to last forever. His big brother used to skate competitively but that was a while back in a different country. He did wear a one-piece costume for skating practice and we did love it a lot. The costume normally lasted about one season and was resold after that.

The problem is that the pants are not working for us - they're too loose and too long for our little guy, and smaller sizes are just not available. If he wears a one-piece, he won't have to pull up his pants all the time :)) As for jumping, I don't think a one-piece is specifically designed to help with jumping, it's just a matter of preference.

Actually, I wasn't asking for advice about what my child should wear for practice - the question was if there was any chance of getting a practice wear that I really like in Canada (or US). Thanks anyways!

Alberta

Rinkside
Thank you so much, loopy! It looks like I can still get what I'm looking for.

I wish my little guy could skate in his snow pants but he's already passed this stage, so they're too bulky for him, and regular practice pants are too loose - it looks like I'm never satisfied :)) However, I believe as long as my boy likes skating, my job as a parent is to make sure he has the right skates and comfortable practice wear.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Little boys can skate in UnderArmour kids size. It's sturdy, long lasting, warm (if you get the ColdGear style) and fit snugly enough to allow the coach to see his line. My son has skated (Canada) for about 16 years - boys generally wear athletic gear to train in, and not the one piece style costumes. There will be no pulling up of pants if you get the compression leggings, and they are multi-purpose: you can wear them for other athletic endeavours. Even under snowpants for cold cold days!

I know you're fond of the one-piece style, but, you might want to try a well-fitting two piece alternative. Easier for washroom trips too :)

BlueSkys is a fond memory for those of us who used to be able to get well-fitting skating wear for our skating guys, but, sadly, is no longer.

Alberta

Rinkside
Thanks a lot! Really good advice...We ended up skating in regular athletic pants - just picked up a pair from Old Navy yesterday. At least they fit snuggly. And yes, you're right - I'm kind of old-school and a little bit nostalgic:)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Thanks a lot! Really good advice...We ended up skating in regular athletic pants - just picked up a pair from Old Navy yesterday. At least they fit snuggly. And yes, you're right - I'm kind of old-school and a little bit nostalgic:)

I don't see anything wrong with wanting to go with what you had good experiences with in the past.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I have a 6 year old skinny boy - he got past the snowpants phase quickly and found it hard to get practice gear that fit. Now that he is 6 he can wear the Mondor Powermax jacket and pants in size 4-6, but its getting a bit short because he's on the tall side. They are allegedly discontinuing that product, but you may be able to get inventory through special orders. Boys stuff is hard to find - even the skates are hard to get because 95% of the market is for girls.

Alberta

Rinkside
I got him Mondor pants a while back but he's still swimming in them - it will probably take a year or so to grow into them even though they're the smallest size (4-6), so now he's skating in regular Old Navy track pants and a Sears jacket. Totally agree about boy's figure skating stuff available the market (we're in Canada) - there's a choice of just one or two pants and jackets styles available in our stores. I also saw a really nice and warm fleece jacket but it only comes in girly hot pink color :))

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I got him Mondor pants a while back but he's still swimming in them - it will probably take a year or so to grow into them even though they're the smallest size (4-6), so now he's skating in regular Old Navy track pants and a Sears jacket. Totally agree about boy's figure skating stuff available the market (we're in Canada) - there's a choice of just one or two pants and jackets styles available in our stores. I also saw a really nice and warm fleece jacket but it only comes in girly hot pink color :))

Can you take the Mondor pants to a tailor and have them taken in? If the crotch is too long, that won't work, but if they're mostly loose / long the alterations should be relatively easy and not too expensive.