How are you dealing with the off-season? | Golden Skate

How are you dealing with the off-season?

Layback11

Record Breaker
TCC is over, so the off season has officially begun.

Therefore, it is time to amuse each other with what we're doing to deal with the dreadful skatingless months! :biggrin:

I'm coping by:

1. Planning a summer's worth of recap-ish blog posts about things that happened this season
2. Trying to get semi-knowledgeable about gymnastics-both artistic and rhythmic-in time for the Summer Olympics
3. Working on my axel and a new program! :yes:
4. Playing Le Viola...#Telemann4Life #AuditionPrepSeason
5. Working on various writing projects
6. In June, watching Shark Week :yahoo:
7. Obsessively hunting down the results from the most obscure club comps out there because there's a juvenile girl I liked from whatever past competition and that warrants an hour of Google searching for results...
8. Lastly, starting fan fests: there are several skaters I want to adopt over the summer (Gropman/Sommerville are at the top of my list :love:) so that should make a good project!

What are y'all doing to fill in the gaping void of no skating? :p

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
1. Studying for exams. :bang:
2. Trying to catch back up with gymnastics (WAG).
3. Trying to read and write more stuff.
4. Also playing Le Viola. :p #Vocalise
5. Going to Europe with youth orchestra. :yahoo:
6. Doing some other summer stuff.
7. Tracking down program and summer competition news.
8. Maybe adopting Yuna Aoki and Yerim Kim?

How's this list?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
-Enjoy the summer ice shows
-Speculate about new program music/ costumes
-Save up money for going to a skating competition next year
-Watch the Summer Olympics and hope that Team Japan can win the gymnastics team competition (men) and all the individual and AA categories. GOOO UCHIMURAAAA.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
-- Running. I've been on a 151-day streak. Not having skating around will make keeping the streak going easier. Also I am planning to do a half-marathon and some other races, so training for those.
-- Catching up on k-dramas.
-- Working. We're short-staffed at my company, so I need to stay on top of things. Maybe grab some freelance assignments if time allows.
-- Taking care of baby. She's close to walking, i will be busy chasing her around.
-- Cooking/Grilling/Eating
-- Rewatching programs I liked this season. I also like to binge all of one skater(s) competitive programs from when they were wee little tots until now and then tell my baby to not grow up that fast [I did that when I watched Jason Brown's FS from 2010 earlier today].

That sounds good to me.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
1. Studying for exams. :bang:
2. Trying to catch back up with gymnastics (WAG).
3. Trying to read and write more stuff.
4. Also playing Le Viola. :p #Vocalise
5. Going to Europe with youth orchestra. :yahoo:
6. Doing some other summer stuff.
7. Tracking down program and summer competition news.
8. Maybe adopting Yuna Aoki and Yerim Kim?

How's this list?
Lots of the same stuff, except that I am not going to Europe, LOL. Will you be doing any skating blogging over the Summer?

Oh, another one: staying up all night to watch the Olympics opening ceremony, which I've done at every Olympics since I was really young.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
1. Binge watch Fan Fest Op videos.
2. Raise tomatoes and flowers.
3. Catch & cook lobsters
4. Finish up the Reference links for competitions I did not get to during the season.
5. Update some fan fests.
6. Do more serious walking.
7. Go to my grandson's high school graduation.
8. Visit friends and my son in Vermont.
9. Read a lot of books

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
1. Binge watch Fan Fest Op videos.
2. Raise tomatoes and flowers.
3. Catch & cook lobsters
4. Finish up the Reference links for competitions I did not get to during the season.
5. Update some fan fests.
6. Do more serious walking.
7. Go to my grandson's high school graduation.
8. Visit friends and my son in Vermont.
9. Read a lot of books

Lobsters? This sounds very interesting. I've never eaten lobster before. It is on my bucket list.
Also, the work you do making lists and links for the this site is Awesome! Thank you so much!

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Lots of the same stuff, except that I am not going to Europe, LOL. Will you be doing any skating blogging over the Summer?

Oh, another one: staying up all night to watch the Olympics opening ceremony, which I've done at every Olympics since I was really young.

Probably just some program samples and summer competitions. You?

Layback11

Record Breaker
Probably just some program samples and summer competitions. You?

Many season recaps.

I am trying to pace myself with them so I have something to do over the summer. Currently I'm planning on the following recaps: favorite programs, favorite costumz™ (of course), GP announcement recap when those come out (not really all that long from now!), summer competition chitchat if I can find vids from any of them, and probably some kind of JGP predictions post. And anything else that I might come up with. Which will probably be a lot.

Also, forgot to mention video editing. I will probably be doing some edits/montages over the summer.

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
1- study, because here school is March-december
2- apply for a 1 month exchange programme
3- plan everything for Rio olympics (already have tickets☺)
4- find my dreamt prom dress
5- have a new dog
6- make progress at cross-stitch (i do them and then sell them)
7- watching soccer's Way to Russia 2018 and watching Suarez making at least 2 goals on every match
8- sit for CPE exam on early June

Layback11

Record Breaker
1- study, because here school is March-december
2- apply for a 1 month exchange programme
3- plan everything for Rio olympics (already have tickets☺)
4- find my dreamt prom dress
5- have a new dog
6- make progress at cross-stitch (i do them and then sell them)
7- watching soccer's Way to Russia 2018 and watching Suarez making at least 2 goals on every match
8- sit for CPE exam on early June

Sounds like you have a fun summer planned! Isn't Suarez that dude that bit someone at the World Cup? I know less about soccer than a fish, but I heard about that. :laugh2:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
1. Major move. Starting a doctoral program in the fall so I'm incredibly nervous about the move in a few months.
2. Hoping PRAYING the Japanese men can pull it off in Rio (with no dodgy judging for the Chinese men!).
3. Preliminary planning for Helsinki next year.

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
Sounds like you have a fun summer planned! Isn't Suarez that dude that bit someone at the World Cup? I know less about soccer than a fish, but I heard about that. :laugh2:

Of course he is. Actually the italian guy said that he acted as if he ws bitten by Suarez. It was funny and painful, Luis recieved a non deserved sanction. Anyway, we are 1sts by now at the south american Classification Table for 2018

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
1. International off-season = Australian domestic season. So, program run-throughs, new jump combinations, new spin variations, and test preparation.

2. Doing overtime at work as we prepare for a) the Olympics, b) Australian federal election

3. Doing a bit of "autumn cleaning" of stuff I need to do outside before winter sets in

4. Resist the urge to look at Helsinki tickets/flights etc

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
1. STUDY FOR MY FINALS
2. Pray to do well at my finals
3. Take some topics and advance during the summer (hopefully not having to repeat any of this semester)
4. Watch my favorite performances of the season over and over again with every commentator I can possibly understand
5. Obviously keep track of the ice shows and the programs the skaters will use next season (though I think that's a doubled edged sword because it also makes me wish for the season to start already)
6. Read anything non related to school (aside from the summer class)
7. Watching the Olympics, of course!
8. Spending a week at the beach away from everything

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
My plan for the summer:

1. Update my Fan Fests (already got one update near enough finished, but waiting until snooker is over to polish it up and post it).
  2. Go to local motorbike races
  3. Watch motorbike races on TV
  4. Watch Formula 1 races on TV
  5. Watch snooker on TV
  6. Watch Team Challenge Cup (thanks to sabinfire!)
  7. Watch Eurovision Song Contest (after I finally get round to watching last year's... :slink: )
  8. Watch UEFA Women's U-17 and U-19 Championships (if Eurosport show them :rolleye: )
  9. Watch Ski Jumping Summer Grand Prix (hoping British Eurosport shows it for a change. But, if not, Eurosport Player)
  10. Watch Rika's FS
  11. Watch Rika's FS
  12. Watch Rika's FS
  13. Watch Rika's FS
  14. Watch Rika's FS
  15. ...you get the drift! ;)

And maybe even carry out my Crazy Future Predictions plan... :cool:

(I haven't finished writing it out yet. So, this is just a teaser to whet your appetite! :biggrin: :devil: )

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1.Catch up on icenetwork for the parts of the competitions we didn't get to see on TV
2. Attend the Philadelphia International Summer Competition, formerly known as "Liberty"
3. Watch the Summer Olympics

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Finishing up this semester of college.
2. Apply for graduate schools.
3. Do summer calculus (I'm convinced that calculus is used just to give people money cause they don't say what specific parts of specific jobs use it....)
4. Go to a few cheer practices this summer with my team.
5. Roots for the Washington Capitals and hope they make it to round 3, then round 4, and hopefully win the Stanley Cup for the first time ever. And maybe hopefully go to a playoff game.
6. Root for the Washington Nationals and hopefully go to a few games.
7. Go to Delaware for a few days with my cheer team for cheer camp. Haven't been to Delaware since I was 4.
8. Chill out on YouTube.
9. Knit a lot.
10. Maybe go on vacation. Have no clue when or where.
11. Celebrate turning 21....I definitely will not drink a lot considering my tongue is hypersensitive to carbonation.
12. Agonizingly wait for the GP assignments to come out and be excited.
13. Try to work out more....MAYBE lol. Definitely won't be jogging outside. I HATE bugs. And I'm terrified of bees, wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets.
14. Try to write more of my stories that I've been nagging to continue working on.
15. Try to skype a few of my internet buddies.
16. Take my GREs....though I haven't had any time to study cause my semester workload is such a pain.....luckily I have 1.5 time cause of accommodations I have.
17. Make designs for hats I want to knit in case I go to Skate America again for the 3rd time.
18. Try to buy my own stuff....