How are you dealing with the off-season? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How are you dealing with the off-season?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Eurovision, anticipating GP assignments & program announcements, brushing up on foreign languages, trying to get interested in the summer Olympics, working out more, learning some new pc programs & skills, watching old programs, catching up on a few tv shows.

naz

On the Ice
1. Study for finals and finish the year with okay marks :)
2. Work on my computer science assignment - a scoring app - during the summer to have it ready by next season.
3. Watch my favorite performances from this year to different music of my choice - btw, I recommend doing this to everyone, it's a lot of fun and unexpectedly exciting!
4. Try to have a memorable summer!
5. Pray for a Denis Ten & Friends show in my city this summer! Thankfully I was able to attend in 2014, but they only had the show in Almaty last year, and I was so bummed, because he brought the Shibs to Kazakhstan for the first time and I couldn't go... Okay, the past has passed and we've only got the future to worry about, so Denis please hurry up with the announcement! :)
6. Be on the forum a lot, after discovering it this winter, I've been on it all the time! It's a great community!
7. Be excited about announced programs and little sneak peeks!
8. Expand my knowledge of figure skating - learn the rules, its history and try to understand the differences between elements.
9. Enjoy my time off school, explore the world and learn as much as possible!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually look forward to the off season, so I can catch up on some of the YT videos I missed over the season, that includes TSL interviews I didn't have time for or listening to recaps from Lutz & Glory, The Blade Boys, Patrick Commentates Skating and others.

There really is so much skating content online these days, so it never really feels like the off season. There's also all the show videos, not just SOI but the Japanese and European tours.

I'm also compiling some of my favorite performances from Worlds and other comps for a friend who wants to see them, which is fun!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
ah.. off season blues... I must say thank god for internet!! I remember the 90's all too well (I didn't fully discover the wonderful world online until 99), and it was way, way more tragic in the days of yore. Now we can watch the video of our favourites at any moment on youtube, you can find soul twins on social network (and of course this forum for example!) to pour our hearts out at each other, which seems like a god sent to me. And that extends to the retired skaters, now we can still follow their activities, either as professional performers or being coaches or choreographers.

charmblade

Final Flight
Hmm, let's see....

1. Summer Olympics. I'm a sucker for any kind of Olympics, I'll watch almost any event, but gymnastics is the other sport i follow on a regular basis.
2. Work on our house. We've been putting off a bunch of repairs and reno and have some plans for this summer. That stuff is always stressful but I'm excited to make more progress on making this house feel more like our own. We get to pick a new exterior paint color! (You get weirdly excited about mundane things when you're a homeowner lol)
3. Planning our European vacation. My husband and I have been intending to take this trip for about 5 years and we're finally going this fall! The planning hasn't started hardcore yet, so that should be fun, I love that kind of stuff.
4. Work. Summer is our busiest time since I work at basically a tourist attraction.
5. Working out. Really gotta up my running mileage and get back on my bicycle.
6. Family! I'm getting a niece this summer so I'll probably be spending some time helping my sister-in-law out once the baby's here.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hmm, let's see....

1. Summer Olympics. I'm a sucker for any kind of Olympics, I'll watch almost any event, but gymnastics is the other sport i follow on a regular basis.
2. Work on our house. We've been putting off a bunch of repairs and reno and have some plans for this summer. That stuff is always stressful but I'm excited to make more progress on making this house feel more like our own. We get to pick a new exterior paint color! (You get weirdly excited about mundane things when you're a homeowner lol)
3. Planning our European vacation. My husband and I have been intending to take this trip for about 5 years and we're finally going this fall! The planning hasn't started hardcore yet, so that should be fun, I love that kind of stuff.
4. Work. Summer is our busiest time since I work at basically a tourist attraction.
5. Working out. Really gotta up my running mileage and get back on my bicycle.
6. Family! I'm getting a niece this summer so I'll probably be spending some time helping my sister-in-law out once the baby's here.

I'm totally with you on No. 2 and No. 5! My husband and I are in the process of remodeling our bathrooms. The house was built in the 1970s so the bathroom looks really aged. I'm really excited to bring a new look to them. My husband purchased this house several years before we got married and it was his house growing up, so I think we feel the same of making it our own. :)

What are your running goals? Are you training for a race or just want to run a certain amount of miles per week/month?

Last edited:

charmblade

Final Flight
I'm totally with you on No. 2 and No. 5! My husband and I are in the process of remodeling our bathrooms. The house was built in the 1970s so the bathroom looks really aged. I'm really excited to bring a new look to them. My husband purchased this house several years before we got married and it was his house growing up, so I think we feel the same of making it our own. :)

What are your running goals? Are you training for a race or just want to run a certain amount of miles per week/month?

We bought our house last year, it was built in the 1940s, and redoing the bathroom is one of the plans for this year. It was redone probably in the 70s and is in need of some major updating.

No specific running goals, just want to increase my mileage and get more consistent. I'd like to do a 5k or two, but I'm not very good at just committing to it even though I regularly run 3 miles. My biggest issue is that every time i manage to start running more consistently and getting my weekly mileage up I end up sick or injured or busy or whatever and stop running for a couple weeks. I'm hoping to incorporate more cycling so I can increase my cardio while putting less stress and impact on my legs.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
We bought our house last year, it was built in the 1940s, and redoing the bathroom is one of the plans for this year. It was redone probably in the 70s and is in need of some major updating.

No specific running goals, just want to increase my mileage and get more consistent. I'd like to do a 5k or two, but I'm not very good at just committing to it even though I regularly run 3 miles. My biggest issue is that every time i manage to start running more consistently and getting my weekly mileage up I end up sick or injured or busy or whatever and stop running for a couple weeks. I'm hoping to incorporate more cycling so I can increase my cardio while putting less stress and impact on my legs.

Awesome, let me know how it goes!

So regarding the running: I mentioned earlier I'm on a running streak -- 152 days as of today. The streak is simple -- 1 mile a day. Somedays I only do that. I have found that running a little bit everyday has been more productive than trying to do 3 miles a few times a week. Also that gives room to do other cardio if you're so inclined. I've been doing barre3 workouts (mix of barre/yoga/pilates) and I find it really help improved my running.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i don't know ... i don't get more time during summer to do other things... so busy with tennis these days ;)

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
The boat goes in in May. However, the "guests of honor" have to be hungry enough, ( :slink: and present enough) to crawl into our traps. More news later...

I'm not much of a seafood person, but as a Mainer, it's sacrilegious if you're doing this anywhere other than the Maine coast. :biggrin:

As for other stuff, we just did a ton of yard work because the city came and took away a ton of brush. I'm looking forward to the Olympics later this summer. It's looking like watching the Red Sox this summer is not going to be miserable like it was for the last two seasons, so there's something else I can get emotionally involved in.

Ployliesk8

Rinkside
1.Studying for tests:(
2.Preparing for the summer break:luv17:
3. Trying to wait patiently for the new season to begin

GRACEZ

Spectator
1. study study study, final is coming.
2. I usually watch tennis competitions in summer and autumn. But this year my fav Roger Federer withdraws the French Open, for me, no Roger no tennis, so...
3. Have to prepare for my college application.
4. Summer is one of the best time for me to do sth for our beautiful earth!
5. Listening to music: K-pop or simply pop music

Layback11

Record Breaker
I've recently started planning a very interesting summer project: writing a novel/novella/extremely long short story about ice dance. It's essentially set at a fictionalized version of WISA (with a couple of big changes), because I've always thought the WISA rising-dance-school-dominates-the-lower-levels narrative would make a great story. Should be interesting. Currently, it centers on a sibling team who's hit a low point in their career (with, I might add, a surname I can barely spell), former Finnish ice dancers and visionary coaches with a taste for the avant-garde, and a hypercompetitive second-year junior team who's been impossibly hyped up by eager fans, set in a tiny, adorable (and fictional) town in northern Vermont.

Even if I can actually finish it, I'm not going to try to get it published or anything, but I might put it up somewhere online. :)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
1) I work full time, that's always a given even in the on-season :biggrin:

2) I watch a lot of skating videos on YouTube. Here's something pretty nerdy, I actually went back and watched some TSL recaps pre 2015, specifically the ones from Sochi.

3) my daughter is doing summer skating twice a week in July and August, and I always love watching her skate.

4) I am the president and team manager of my synchronized skating organization, so I'm starting to get ready to prep for our next season: drafting budgets for the teams and contracts for the coaches, booking ice time at arenas, etc.

5) I'm planning my family's summer vacation to Newfoundland at the end of August to visit my 95 year old Nanny and other relatives out there as well. I'm actually going to surprise my parents with plane tickets to come as well for their birthday gifts next week. My immediate family is also hoping to rent a cabin and go camping for a week sometime in July.

Last edited: