Tatiana Navka named in Panama Papers | Golden Skate

Tatiana Navka named in Panama Papers

brightphoton

Medalist
2006 ice dancing Olympic champion Tatiana Navka sells New York property after being named in Panama Papers. She is married to Russia's strongman president Vladimir Putin's top spokesman, Dmitry Peskov

Expensive properties in the city are often bought through liability limited companies (LLCs) which shield identities of their owners.

The property website that listed the sale described Navka as a "motivated seller." This $2 million sale may also be motivated by increasing fear among Kremlin aides that they will be targeted by State Department sanctions. This could just be start of moves by wealthy and powerful Russians to dispose of properties they own in New York

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ght-offshore-tax-scandal-Russians-follow.html

brightphoton

Medalist
I would say, no, it doesn't belong in the Cafe. When Tatiana's wedding/marriage articles were on the Edge, concerns about marrying a Russian man with shady finances were raised. She's a former prominent figure skater, and this is news that pertains to her, even if it is unflattering.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
When Tatiana's wedding/marriage articles were on the Edge, concerns about marrying a Russian man with shady finances were raised.

These were not concerns - these were speculations and allegations. Peskov is not a man with shady finances - he is Putin's press-secretary. Is there corruption in Russia? No doubt about it. Is Russia the only country with corruption and should be bullied with its former figure skaters in the edge section? I am not sure.

What about Dick Cheney who happened to lead the assault on Saddam after which more than 4000 Americans and apparently more than 100000 Iraqies died, assault based on falsified data? Dick Cheney who as a head of Haliburton got first contracts in Iraq? He was not a figure skater? But is your news about figure skating or alleged corruption?

Another prominent figure skater Michelle Kwan helps Hillary. The news about this is discussed in Le Cafe. I hope this one will go there as well....or die down fast.

brightphoton

Medalist
I hardly think an article about Tatiana being involved in offshore shell companies is equal to Russian bullying.

If she's sensitive about such articles, the best thing to do would be to not store her money in a tax haven.

cassiem

On the Ice
These were not concerns - these were speculations and allegations. Peskov is not a man with shady finances - he is Putin's press-secretary. Is there corruption in Russia? No doubt about it. Is Russia the only country with corruption and should be bullied with its former figure skaters in the edge section? I am not sure.

What about Dick Cheney who happened to lead the assault on Saddam after which more than 4000 Americans and apparently more than 100000 Iraqies died, assault based on falsified data? Dick Cheney who as a head of Haliburton got first contracts in Iraq? He was not a figure skater? But is your news about figure skating or alleged corruption?
Any time questions are raised about Russia's super-wealthy, we're treated to whataboutism and "poor Russia, always a victim of bullying". :palmf:
Being Putin's press secretary means Peskov can't have shady finances? Where did he (or Navka, if as she claims she's the one who bought it) get the money for his $600,000 watch?

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Any time questions are raised about Russia's super-wealthy, we're treated to whataboutism and "poor Russia, always a victim of bullying". :palmf:
Being Putin's press secretary means Peskov can't have shady finances? Where did he (or Navka, if as she claims she's the one who bought it) get the money for his $600,000 watch?

I have no idea. May be it's a fake with a price of $100. May be it was given to him by Putin himself who got it as a present from someone (until recently officials' getting expensive presents was not forbidden). May be someone presented it to him in order that he helped to make a meeting with his boss. It's all speculations. And I see no other reason for these speculations than to point a finger one more time: "those Russian crooks". But as it is no longer in the edge I don't care.

cassiem

On the Ice
Have you noticed that people in other countries don't get personally offended if their politicians are accused of corruption? i.e. Iceland's Prime Minister was also targeted in the Panama Papers - did Icelanders consider it an attack against their nation?

Last edited:
Have you noticed that people in other countries don't get personally offended if their politicians are accused of corruption? i.e. Iceland's Prime Minister was also targeted in the Panama Papers - did Icelanders consider it an attack against their nation?

Interestingly, I believe that it was actually the Prime Minister's wife and her family that held all the million dollar claims against failed banks, or whatever it was that caused him to step down.

In the U.S., I think it is just naturally assumed that every politician is a crook, so revelations like this hardly make the news.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
But, to be fair, it wasn't your only point. You made the point that Russia was being 'bullied'. And posters are saying that they cannot see how this is so.

How many times here did you see the news that some UK athlete sells something with the accompanying hints on corruption? Or dozens page long discussions on using doping in the West? I frankly do not want to continue and, sorry, but I won't reply to this thread any longer admitting that we are all free to disagree.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
How many times here did you see the news that some UK athlete sells something with the accompanying hints on corruption? Or dozens page long discussions on using doping in the West? I frankly do not want to continue and, sorry, but I won't reply to this thread any longer admitting that we are all free to disagree.

Well, okay, you don't have to reply. However, if a former British figure skater was involved with tax dodging wheezes etc I would have no problem with saying, "Hmm, that's dodgy". Although we don't have many famous former ice stars! Lol And if one of our figure skaters is caught doping, I will condemn it wholeheartedly. And if anyone wants to say our Prime Minister is an ***, I will concur. None of that will cause me to say that the Brits are being bullied here. But YMMV.

brightphoton

Medalist
A year ago, one could make the argument that the Tatiana and husband got the money for the $600,000 watch in an honest manner, and accusations of corruption and illegal money activity was merely speculation and Russian bullying.

Now that the two have been named in the Panama Papers, it's been confirmed that they've been corrupt and involved in illegal money activity :laugh: so we can replace the word "speculation" with "fact."

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
Actually, being naned on Panama Papers do not mean you are doing something illegal. It is illegal if you are doing money-washing (sounds better in Spanish tbh)