2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yeah. But she changed already. Look at her (from wjc15 (even from SA15) to WC16). She is definitely grew up. If there will be no rapid spurt (like Elena), then she will be ok. Little by little, step by step. Like in this season.

I actually just watched Evgenia's worlds FP, I noticed immediately the major wedgie she had during her layback and thought, wow, girl needs a new dress, she definitely grew since Skate America way back in October!

I would've been so sad if she actually did get a new dress though, because the original dress is exquisite.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Even if she doesn't have problems physically with her changing body, it is almost assured that she will have some difficulty adjusting to the mental pressure of being the favorite at every event she competes in. She can afford to have an off year then come back strong in the Olympic season, which is what I expect to happen. Consecutive world championships are rare, and I don't think anyone in modern times has won the first two world championships that she has competed in.

Taking a look at the currently fierce competitions among ladies on the world stage, you can see that it is really hard for any girl to come back after a year off, no matter how strong you used to be. I think Mao is a case in point, so to choose to take one year off right before the Olympic year is not wise at all. Even though she could not win the world title consecutively next year, it would be a great learning experience for Evgenia and might help her better prepare for the Olympics.

To say the least, I am a little worried about Liza, but seeing a rejuvenated & strong Liza compete again next season is still my firm belief.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Medvedeva says that as soon as she passes her exams, she will start working on new elements, which might include ultra C ones.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Taking a look at the currently fierce competitions among ladies on the world stage, you can see that it is really hard for any girl to come back after a year off, no matter how strong you used to be. I think Mao is a case in point, so to choose to take one year off right before the Olympic year is not wise at all. Even though she could not win the world title consecutively next year, it would be a great learning experience for Evgenia and might help her better prepare for the Olympics.

Sorry, I meant that Evgenia could have an "off year" in the sense that she may not be as dominant this coming season and that, if she does, she still has a good chance to come back strong the following season.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Sorry, I meant that Evgenia could have an "off year" in the sense that she may not be as dominant this coming season and that, if she does, she still has a good chance to come back strong the following season.

Oh, I misunderstood you! :laugh: I am too embarrassed to say a word now. :eek::

If she trains properly, but does not grow so much overnight, I see Evgenia having a very good chance of defending her world title next year. Yet, things are changing very fast nowadays that are usually going beyond our expectations, say, Liza... :(

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I want to see Evgenia try 4sal. I think she could do it! :agree:

To be honest, I'd like her to stay away from quads, because she might/high possibility/ get injured. She doesn't need it to win, especially in this age. Imho, she should work on polishing her skating and jumps.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Medvedeva says that as soon as she passes her exams, she will start working on new elements, which might include ultra C ones.

:shocked: Oh my! I wonder what they're planning. She sure will not do 3A, but maybe a quad? I doubt that's necessary. IMO, she needs to focus on keeping her consistency in jumps and improving her skating skills. That will be enough for her to win.

annesigin

Rinkside
:shocked: Oh my! I wonder what they're planning. She sure will not do 3A, but maybe a quad? I doubt that's necessary. IMO, she needs to focus on keeping her consistency in jumps and improving her skating skills. That will be enough for her to win.

I saw one of her interviews which said she would not try 3A because she was really weak on axel jump. She slao said if she must try a more difficult jump, she would choose 4S, but in fact she didn't have the plan to do this at that time.
I hope she have not changed her idea now. So what do the ultra C ones mean?

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I saw one of her interviews which said she would not try 3A because she was really weak on axel jump. She slao said if she must try a more difficult jump, she would choose 4S, but in fact she didn't have the plan to do this at that time.
I hope she have not changed her idea now. So what do the ultra C ones mean?

Extra difficult jumps. I'm afraid she might be working on 4s. But again, she is excellent at what she does now. She doesn't need a new layout to be the leader in skating:no:

annesigin

Rinkside
Extra difficult jumps. I'm afraid she might be working on 4s. But again, she is excellent at what she does now. She doesn't need a new layout to be the leader in skating:no:

If she wants to increase her bv, she can move her 4f4t to the second half of her fs.
I don't think a 4s will bring higher grades. Ladies who jump 3A and quads all get low goes and lose their stability. Look at Asada, over 60% of her 3A in last season were at least under-rotated and she got only 5.84 points on her 3A on average. And the slow down before her 3A have ruined her consistency at all. I quite do not want to see all of these happen on Evgenia.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
If she wants to increase her bv, she can move her 4f4t to the second half of her fs.
I don't think a 4s will bring higher grades. Ladies who jump 3A and quads all get low goes and lose their stability. Look at Asada, over 60% of her 3A in last season were at least under-rotated and she got only 5.84 points on her 3A on average. And the slow down before her 3A have ruined her consistency at all. I quite do not want to see all of these happen on Evgenia.

3F3T :biggrin:

angecinth

Rinkside
I think Yulia will come back next season. She struggled a lot after sochi and she has progressed under the coaching of umanov. I never supposed she could do tano before.
I'm not sure if Adelina wants to compete again...
Hope Liza to come back with her marvelous 3a
Just imagine Russian juniors.polina,sima,alisa,gubanova,nugumanova,it is insane!!!

lavoix

Match Penalty
I wonder what new exciting juniors Russia will have this season.

I really do hope in the return of Liptniskaya.

andromache

Record Breaker
Fingers crossed for the resurgence of Yulia and Adelina!

(A Yulia/Evgenia rivalry would be so dramatic. I'm into it.)

I'm also hoping Elena shows improvement in posture/jump landings/choreo. I love her, but she still needs polishing. Especially since during the Olympic season, she will be one of the older Russian ladies trying to get a spot, so having an artistic advantage over the current juniors will be important.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
The state is good. Very good. :yes:

Personally, I'm hoping for #RiseOfTheElders2K16: a resurgence of Yulia/Adelina/Liza/maybe even Elena, if she is old enough to be among that group.

Also, if a youngling must dominate seniors last year, can it please be Maria Sotskova? Pleeeease? :p

Leonova for worlds 2017!

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I wonder what new exciting juniors Russia will have this season.

I really do hope in the return of Liptniskaya.

... (continued, previous page - Senior Girls preview)

JUNIOR GIRLS - age eligible for Junior Grand-Prix in season 2016-2017
Polina Tsurskaya - the 2016 Winter Youth Olympic champion, the 2015–16 JGP Final champion and the 2016 Russian Junior National champion
Alisa Fedichkina - Junior Grand Prix finalist(4th), small gold medal for the short program at the 2016 World Junior Championships, the 2016 Russian Junior National bronze medalist
Serafima Sakhanovich (I guess they keep her in Juniors/or Senior Bs only) - a two-time (2014, 2015) World Junior silver medalist, a two-time (2013–14, 2014–15) JGP Final silver medalist, and 2014 Russian junior national champion
Elizaveta Nugumanova (born 2002)
Anastassia Gubanova (born 2002)
Alisa Lozko (born 2002)
Sofia Samodurova (born 2002)
Anna Tarusina (born 2003)
Stanislava Konstantinova (born 2000, late bloomer)
Alina Zagitova (born 2002)
Ekaterina Mitrofanova (born 2002)
Ekaterina Kurakova (born 2002)
Anastassia Mukhortova (born 2003)

All girls have 3-3. Some of them did combos with 3L in their SP this season, which might be a problem next season due to 3L being an obligatory solo jump.
Otherwise, strong spins (esp. Lozko, Gubanova, Nugumanova, Mukhortova), decent SS, all triple jumps.

Who do you think will get 2 JGP assigments? Who will qualify to JGPF?
Who will win Russian Junior Nationals?
Will the unexpected girls pop up? Who might struggle?
Who are your favourites?

Copied my post from previous thread