2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating

boskil

Match Penalty
I honestly don't even know how to deal with this thread - I like 80% of these girls and with almost every competition I've been watching, I add another name to my list. I just want them all to kick butts on JGP, they're all hard workers and deserving that one chance so much... :sad21:

My fav juniors are:
- Gubanova - won Russian Cup in Sep. 2015 with 200.78 score at the age of 12y9m (Tuktamysheva won senior category there with 186!), unmatched explosiveness and artistry when she's on, her delicate hands, lines and intimate performing tear my heart apart every single time I lay my eyes on her,
- Konstantinova - amazing late (15) bloomer story of ~160 skater, turning the jets on this season, beginning at Tallin Trophy with 191 points (higher than winner Sotskova in seniors!) and never looking back; dark, agressive style/choreo, very different and interesting, stunning girl,
- Shcherbakova - barely 12yo cutie pie from Eteri's group, youngest U13 Russian Champion since Tuktamysheva in 2008, very feminine, cat-like, elegant skater.

I never liked Sima's skating much, even when she was rocking JGP in 14/15 - fantastic personality, good performer, but her skating was always more about athleticism than artistry in my eyes. I can't get over amazingly lyrical Mukhortova's resemblance to Satoko and her ugly micro jumps. Also can't see much future for Panenkova, Proklova and Iuschenko tbh.

winky97

Medalist
I have a question I would like to ask. Hopefully this can be asked without people getting mad at me or thinking I am trying come down on their skater or something because I mean no harm. I know people expect Polina Tsurskaya to be very dominate when she turns Senior, but anyone think she might end up too tall to be a successful singles lady skater? At 14 she is like 5'7, at least that's what I read somewhere, and will likely get at least a couple more inches before she is done growing. It seems like ladies single skaters are usually not that tall. I know she has great jumps, but the height issue was just something I was curious about. Maybe it won't matter. Anyone know who the tallest most successful female singles skater was?

moriel

Record Breaker
I have a question I would like to ask. Hopefully this can be asked without people getting mad at me or thinking I am trying come down on their skater or something because I mean no harm. I know people expect Polina Tsurskaya to be very dominate when she turns Senior, but anyone think she might end up too tall to be a successful singles lady skater? At 14 she is like 5'7, at least that's what I read somewhere, and will likely get at least a couple more inches before she is done growing. It seems like ladies single skaters are usually not that tall. I know she has great jumps, but the height issue was just something I was curious about. Maybe it won't matter. Anyone know who the tallest most successful female singles skater was?

Kostner is (5 ft 7 in).
I think Gracie Gold is like 5ft 6in tall....

I actually think that Polina may not grow soooo much over her current height. Girls usually stop (almost) growing around 14-15 years, and her body also looks quite mature (compare her with Evgenia, for example), which means she is probably done growing.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
A compilation of my thoughts on this topic.

JGP

1. I think that Polina Tsurskaya will remain dominant this season, if she recovers from her injury as expected. Her jump technique is absolutely pristine, and I love that she fully utilizes her long limbs to give her skating impact. A lot of tall juniors flail around like baby deer on the ice because they don't know what to do with their limbs, but not Polina-she uses that to make her skating unique. (Okay, that might not be her intention, but if not, it's a rather nice accident.)
2. Alisa Fedichkina will also be at the top again (methinks). She does not have the best jumps (they are a little small) but her spins and interpretation are, IMO, among the best of the juniors. She is simply a joy to watch, and I want her to win everything. :)
3. Elizaveta Nugumanova has it all: textbook jumps, lovely spins, excellent artistry/interpretation/personality, consistency. I like what I've seen of her very much and I think she will be a medal threat throughout the season.
4. Anastasiia Gubanova also has a lot of potential. Her spins, interpretation and extension are gorgeous. She is not always super consistent (e.g. Gardena), but she has many great qualities, so I think she might factor in.
5. Alisa Lozko is, IMO, not quite as strong as some of the other girls, but could factor in. Her spins are fantastic. Seriously, insane spins are totally rampant in Russian skating...and I love it! :yes:

Will update with seniors later.

andromache

Record Breaker

I would normally agree with you, but Polina's proven she can have the best jumps in the world at her current height. It's quite amazing, honestly, considering how strong her jumps are--better than girls who are much smaller than her! She's much more filled out than Evgenia, for example, who is very waif-like. I think Polina will be more likely to struggle with developing bust and hips. However, her technique should be strong enough to overcome growth spurts, IMO.

winky97

Medalist
Kostner is (5 ft 7 in).
I think Gracie Gold is like 5ft 6in tall....

I actually think that Polina may not grow soooo much over her current height. Girls usually stop (almost) growing around 14-15 years, and her body also looks quite mature (compare her with Evgenia, for example), which means she is probably done growing.

Yeah, I hear you, but I thought about this a lot more when I saw how much Elena grew over the past two seasons. Heck, everytime Elena was at a competition this season it looked like she had grown more. Reports were that she had even grown a little bit between Euros and Worlds and by then she was 17. I know everyone is different genetics and all so maybe you are right and Polina has pretty much reached where she will be height wise. Thanks.

Last edited:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States

How tall is too tall tho? :)

Dont ask me how, but I'm 100% sure if Polina grows too tall Russians will send her to pairs figure skating. May be dance pairs as well. She will be responsible of doing all the lifts and carrying men around the ice. #Girl_power!, ya know. :biggrin:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Only time will tell what will happen to Polina but I would be really sad if she doesn't survive due to her height, imagine one day when she polishes her lines and presentation how striking she will look on ice with her height and jumps.

Hearing that she's growing so fast a bit frightening though, I'm scared she'll be too injured before she even finds out whether or not she'll keep her jumps.

Anyway cheering for Nugumanova and Gubanova on the JGP! I love Nugumanova, she's so cuteeee and a fierce little lady.

moriel

Record Breaker
Yeah, I hear you, but I thought about this a lot more when I saw how much Elena grew over the past two seasons. Heck, everytime Elena was at a competition this season it looked like she had grown more. Reports were that she had even grown a little bit between Euros and Worlds and by then she was 17. I know everyone is different genetics and all so maybe you are right and Polina has pretty much reached where she will be height wise. Thanks.

Yeah i dunno... I just try looking at the body rather than age... Girls grow and then fill up, so if they are filling up, it means they are done growing...
So just hoping for best because Polina is dealing quite well with her height for now.

I don't think she has any chance to move to pairs though, as they want short ones in there too =) And dance would be a waste, as jumps are her strongest side really...
And well, russian fed most likely won't bother with her ehight if she manages it.

Last edited:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't think she has any chance to move to pairs though, as they want short ones in there too =) And dance would be a waste, as jumps are her strongest side really...

I still insist that tall Polina could carry and throw her male counterparts quite nicely around the ice in pairs. :)

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Polina's family has some seriously tall genes, her brother is 2 m tall. She could easily grow to "fashion model" height of 180 cm or so.

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
A compilation of my thoughts on this topic.

JGP

1. I think that Polina Tsurskaya will remain dominant this season, if she recovers from her injury as expected. Her jump technique is absolutely pristine, and I love that she fully utilizes her long limbs to give her skating impact. A lot of tall juniors flail around like baby deer on the ice because they don't know what to do with their limbs, but not Polina-she uses that to make her skating unique. (Okay, that might not be her intention, but if not, it's a rather nice accident.)
2. Alisa Fedichkina will also be at the top again (methinks). She does not have the best jumps (they are a little small) but her spins and interpretation are, IMO, among the best of the juniors. She is simply a joy to watch, and I want her to win everything. :)
3. Elizaveta Nugumanova has it all: textbook jumps, lovely spins, excellent artistry/interpretation/personality, consistency. I like what I've seen of her very much and I think she will be a medal threat throughout the season.
4. Anastasiia Gubanova also has a lot of potential. Her spins, interpretation and extension are gorgeous. She is not always super consistent (e.g. Gardena), but she has many great qualities, so I think she might factor in.
5. Alisa Lozko is, IMO, not quite as strong as some of the other girls, but could factor in. Her spins are fantastic. Seriously, insane spins are totally rampant in Russian skating...and I love it! :yes:

Will update with seniors later.

You mentioned all my favorites yuniors. :) I think Masha and Sima will compete in seniors....:confused:

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
- Konstantinova - amazing late (15) bloomer story of ~160 skater, turning the jets on this season, beginning at Tallin Trophy with 191 points (higher than winner Sotskova in seniors!) and never looking back; dark, agressive style/choreo, very different and interesting, stunning girl.
Chebotareva's students tend to be late bloomers, it's a policy of hers. I really like Stanislava's short program this year, wicked fairy godmother from the Sleeping Beauty suits her energy very well. Their choreographer comes up with interesting ideas.

Last edited:

acronycal0730

Rinkside
I've been following Russia ladies thread but didn't post, now I decide to come here to show my love and support for them :luv17:

Among up and coming junior ladies my favorites are Gubanova, Nugumanova and Mukhortova. When everyone can jump 3-3, artistry is the real thing matters. I think Mukhortova's sniper FS in gorgeous - she is very expressive, the skating quality is so good for her age, but it will be challenging for her to get JGP spot.

I hope Serafima be the "blackhorse" next season. After a rough season she is still on of my favorite skaters.

That will be exciting to see how "Russia Hunger Games" developes. :party:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I'm not sure if Adelina wants to compete again...

Buyanova says Adelina already has a short program. She claims that the program is "powerful and chic". Now they are working on a long program with Petr Chernyshev.

I assume Adelina wants to compete again. And if she brings her powerful jumps back she will be the skater to watch next season.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Buyanova says Adelina already has a short program. She claims that the program is "powerful and chic". Now they are working on a long program with Petr Chernyshev.

I assume Adelina wants to compete again. And if she brings her powerful jumps back she will be the skater to watch next season.

I hope Adelina does come back. She is such a great performer and as the reigning Olympic Champion, I know she'd be extremely popular wherever she went. By the way, has Adelina ever given an interview about her experience on Dancing With The Stars? I'm sure she has. Didn't she win?

Last edited: