2016-17 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Ice Dance

bramweld

Record Breaker
As always with the Russians it comes down to poise and patience; character really. Great achievements in dance require time and a healthy dose of patience. Apparently the Russian Federation still doesn't understand this and doesn't have the vision to develop a proper ice dance programme, even if that involves allowing their charges to work oversees. And as a result they get what they get. I can just imagine Carrol Lane, Dubreil, Romaine et al. calling up each other and going: "Did you read about that? What utter rubbish?" :laugh2::rofl:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Yankovskaya got too tall. You need to be more gorilla and flea and not equal and certainly not woman maybe taller than the man!

bramweld

Record Breaker
Yankovskaya got too tall. You need to be more gorilla and flea and not equal and certainly not woman maybe taller than the man!

Stepanova and Bukin? Bobrova and Soloviev? Virtue and Moir? Hubbell and Donahue? Gilles and Poirier? Sinitsina and Katsalpov? Monko and Khaliavin? What gives? Are they going to start genetically engineering their girls now? The only real flea and gorilla pairs we have now are Coomes and Buckland, Chock and Bates? So really? I just can't imagine Scott saying to Tessa, even in his head "Hey Baby. this ain't really working out. You sorta got a bit big and chunky honey. Think I'm gonna check out of this partnership". When she matured, Scott simply got into the shape required to handle his business. So that couldn't be it. Either he's a self-centered wimp or they're other issues we simply aren't aware of. :bed: Nobody sticks together through the challenges anymore. Everybody wants the quick fix. This was their FIRST year as seniors, FIRST. I tend to believe the argument that she wanted out, he didn't so she got dumped.

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
The rumours I've seen float around (or has Yanowskaya said something directly? I don't speak Russian), and obviously I don't know if any of it is true, is that Anna wanted to change coaches. So if that's true it might be in Kustarova's best interest to try to keep a student, split the partnership and provide him with a new partner who is willing to stay in their coaching camp. With I/Z probably leaving, it's become quite empty there...

All just speculation that I'm repeating, I don't know if any of it is true...

Yes, I've heard something similar. But it's not Anna who wanted to change coaches, it's her parents who mostly funded their team. They were not happy with the direction the team went with Kustarova.

Last edited:

sarama

Medalist
When a while ago Zhulin said Tiffany/Johnathan are going to be one of the leading Russian teams I thought he was delusional, now I completely agree with him honestly! They are pretty balanced and not stuck in the '90s program wise, which is not something you can say about basically any other Russian ice dance team. I have hope for Loboda/Drozd on the future...boring programs but at least they can hit their levels

gmyers

Record Breaker
Stepanova and Bukin? Bobrova and Soloviev? Virtue and Moir? Hubbell and Donahue? Gilles and Poirier? Sinitsina and Katsalpov? Monko and Khaliavin? What gives? Are they going to start genetically engineering their girls now? The only real flea and gorilla pairs we have now are Coomes and Buckland, Chock and Bates? So really? I just can't imagine Scott saying to Tessa, even in his head "Hey Baby. this ain't really working out. You sorta got a bit big and chunky honey. Think I'm gonna check out of this partnership". When she matured, Scott simply got into the shape required to handle his business. So that couldn't be it. Either he's a self-centered wimp or they're other issues we simply aren't aware of. :bed: Nobody sticks together through the challenges anymore. Everybody wants the quick fix. This was their FIRST year as seniors, FIRST. I tend to believe the argument that she wanted out, he didn't so she got dumped.

Half the teams you mention aren't that successful and have major problems with lifts. If some women can be tall but light that's good for them. Sure an answer can be that the man just gets stronger but maybe there's a limit to that because in lifts maneuverability is very important.

alithia

Final Flight
I think lifts problems among russian teams basically has to do with their focus early on. And it's one of the areas they couldn't really adapt to with IJS. It's not that they lack the abilities, but the training they get early on regarding lifts.
The system changed but it seems that most coaches based in Russia haven't adjusted and still keep the old Soviet/Russian system where a program is first of all an idea, and then elements. But I see some effort, I'm just not sure they are too willing to learn from abroad and every season risk in order to bring the russian style back.

madison

Record Breaker
Does anyone have any news about Ksenia Konkina/ Georgy Revia? I discovered them last year and i really liked them.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Some people can't win. A big height difference in ice dance is not good because the lines don't match, but a small height difference isn't good either because you can't pull off the acrobatic lifts...so basically, teams and individual dancers will get criticized either way :drama:. Yanovskaya is tall, but so is Mozgov, their height difference probably fell into the category that even the most nitpicky ice dance fans would deem acceptable. And in ice dance it's not really an issue for the girl to be tall so long as she can find a suitable partner. One of the reasons I like ice dance is because you can see both the "gorilla and flea" teams as well as similar size teams excel. Some of the lift positions may differ, but some of my favorite teams are on both ends of the height difference spectrum, I think it's only an issue if you make it one.

Snow63

Record Breaker
Ksenia Rumiantseva (coach of Popova/Vlasenko and Loboda/Drozd) posted message on her FB account (from 9th of April):
Захотели, имейте совесть.... Позвоните... Напишите... Видимо я не то , кому ВЫ можете говорить... Противно... У вас нет счастья, нет спортсменов, нет личной жизни! Для меня вы смешные! Вы ущербные!

My translation:
If you wanted that, have a conscience... Call me... Write me... But it seems like I'm not a person YOU would want to talk to... It's disgusting... You are not happy, you have no skaters, you have no personal life! You are laughable! And you are flawed!

She seems like she had NO IDEA of what's going to happen. She was very close to her students and loved them. Popova/Vlasenko should have been her first Senior team. There's no recipient mentioned in this message, but it seems to me she's talking about Kustarova team.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ksrumyantseva/posts/618574511638829

bramweld

Record Breaker
Ksenia Rumiantseva (coach of Popova/Vlasenko and Loboda/Drozd) posted message on her FB account (from 9th of April):

My translation:

She seems like she had NO IDEA of what's going to happen. She was very close to her students and loved them. Popova/Vlasenko should have been her first Senior team. There's no recipient mentioned in this message, but it seems to me she's talking about Kustarova team.

Help, their leadership needs to have an epiphany a vision.

Snow63

Record Breaker
I wonder how the Federation just let such things happen. This is ridiculous

Edit: Also, some people say Anna Yanovskaya had tryuots with Yuri Vlasenko. Unsuccessful.

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker

Edit: Also, some people say Anna Yanovskaya had tryuots with Yuri Vlasenko. Unsuccessful.

It seems to me, nobody is in control. What we see happening within their lower ranks is a mere reflection of the establishment. Putin is getting soft, he needs to reel them in man.:drama::bed:

Marta25

Medalist

It was mentioned in the last thread that the Russian Federation has its focus more on Singles and Pair skating. It looks like Russian Ice Dance needs an intervention and the first step would be to stop this splitting up mania that is going on in the last few years. Teams like D/W, V/M and P/C are this successful , because they are going through ups and downs together.

katha

On the Ice
A strong driving force here seems to be Kustarova's coaching camp, who were fearing to see Y/M go and had a hand in getting rid of Yanovskaya and stitched up Mozgov with a new partner so they could keep a senior dance pair. If it went down like the other coach and Anna are insinuating, meaning that it was all done behind people's backs, then they are rightly catching flak for that. And yeah, I'm not sure the fed is interested all that much in lower ranked dance pair shenanigans. I think if a more prominent couple would plan radical changes, they'd want to stay on top of that. How much they'd be willing to interfere is the other question.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

My translation:

But how does she really feel?

:hap93:

Oh the :drama: never ends in Russian Ice Dance!

:popcorn:

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Well, it is not funny, but I must laugh... The Russian Fed continues to screw things up... well done...LOL

At this rate, they might literally just quit the field of Ice Dance... Let's see, who do they have, IZ and SK (ok, ummm, both need a lot of work), SB (whatever), MK (are they still skating?), YM (just broke up)... oh my favorite... BS (drugs...)

LOL LOL

Snow63

Record Breaker
Well, it is not funny, but I must laugh... The Russian Fed continues to screw things up... well done...LOL

At this rate, they might literally just quit the field of Ice Dance... Let's see, who do they have, IZ and SK (ok, ummm, both need a lot of work), SB (whatever), MK (are they still skating?), YM (just broke up)... oh my favorite... BS (drugs...)

LOL LOL

Ekaterina Bobrova was amnestied by WADA, FYI.