2016 Summer Olympics Random Chat Thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 Summer Olympics Random Chat Thread

ObaFan

Rinkside
I also saw a description of a Pentathalon which sounds absolutely nuts! Who does this sport? How rich are these people??
:biggrin:

Olympics don't have Pentathlon anymore. It was replaced by Heptathlon for women (100 metres hurdles, High jump, Shot put, 200 metres, Long jump, Javelin throw, 800 metres) and decathlon for men (100 metres, Long jump, Shot put, High jump, 400 metres, 110 metres hurdles, Discus throw, Pole vault, Javelin throw, 1500 metres) :reye: :dbana:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I also saw a description of a Pentathalon which sounds absolutely nuts! Who does this sport? How rich are these people??
:biggrin:

Olympics don't have Pentathlon anymore. It was replaced by Heptathlon for women (100 metres hurdles, High jump, Shot put, 200 metres, Long jump, Javelin throw, 800 metres) and decathlon for men (100 metres, Long jump, Shot put, High jump, 400 metres, 110 metres hurdles, Discus throw, Pole vault, Javelin throw, 1500 metres) :reye: :dbana:

Rio 2016 will have the modern pentathlon -- for men and for women.
Fencing, swimming, horse riding, running, shooting.
August 18 - 20.

http://www.rio2016.com/en/modern-pentathlon
http://www.rio2016.com/sites/default/files/users/rio2016_files/guia_ingressoing_2015_daily_0.pdf

(Rio will have also the heptathlon for women and decathlon for men.)

BTW, Phil Hersh will be reporting from Rio for the USOC site TeamUSA.org.
Each day, he will cover one story of his own choice.

Last edited:

thoakun

Final Flight
I will go to Rio, it is a 2 hours flight from Montevideo so I won't miss school. I will attend to Gymnastics, RG, Sinchronized Swimming, Athletics and Tennis. I cannot wait!!

ohhh, I like all of the events you attend. Have fun :cheer:. I'm particularly looking forward to your impression of RG, since I've always wondered how watching RG live is different from watching on the laptop screen.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I enjoy watching gymnastics (especially artistic), the equestrian events, swimming, diving, triathlon and athletics mostly. Bit annoying that I won't be able to watch any swimming or athletics live even though the timing should be favourable for us. Of course the US networks must be prioritised! *rolled eyes*

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Bit annoying that I won't be able to watch any swimming or athletics live even though the timing should be favourable for us. Of course the US networks must be prioritised! *rolled eyes*
It really annoys me, but it upsets me even worse that they're now also pulling the same stunt with the figure skating in South Korea. So much for me always rooting for Asia to get these kind of events, if this is how time differences are dealt with to accommodate the American viewers.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Yeah, I love the way that they get better timing than Japanese viewers who have pretty much kept the ISU afloat in recent years! :rolleye::palmf:

musicfan80

Medalist
I follow gymnastics, swimming, and track & field. GO TEAM USA!!! :biggrin:

It will be very interesting to see in how Simone Biles and Gabby Douglas does in gymnastics and what Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte, Nathan Adrian, Missy Franklin, and Katie Ledecky does in swimming.

If Usain Bolt does the 3-peat and wins gold again in the 100m, 200m, and the 4X100m relay, it will be insane.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll be watching, but here is my contrarian opinion, at least, after reading these posts, for a figure skating fan.

I don't care about any kind of gymnastics:devil: There, I'm glad I got that off my chest. I think I am going to need to unfollow the Skating Lesson for the summer, because I have no idea who they are talking about and don't care.

On the other hand, track and field, yes. GO MEB!:cheer:

ObaFan

Rinkside
Rio 2016 will have the modern pentathlon -- for men and for women.
Fencing, swimming, horse riding, running, shooting.
August 18 - 20.

http://www.rio2016.com/en/modern-pentathlon
http://www.rio2016.com/sites/default/files/users/rio2016_files/guia_ingressoing_2015_daily_0.pdf

(Rio will have also the heptathlon for women and decathlon for men.)

BTW, Phil Hersh will be reporting from Rio for the USOC site TeamUSA.org.
Each day, he will cover one story of his own choice.

Oh! I'm so sorry! :hslap: You're right! I only saw the events under Athletics.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yeah, I love the way that they get better timing than Japanese viewers who have pretty much kept the ISU afloat in recent years! :rolleye::palmf:

It is not about skating per se. US based NBC Universal bought the rights to broadcast the whole of the Olympics in prime time in the US and over Telemundo as well,and they paid a lot for the privilege. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2014/05/07/nbc-olympics-broadcast-rights-2032/8805989/

$963 million for 2018 alone and 7.75 billion dollars for Olympics through 2032 more recently.

Instead of putting the rights up for bid as it usually does, the IOC quietly approached the network in November about an extension.

This is kind of skeevy, I suspect.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Oh, brilliant. So from now on, no matter where the Olympics are held, NBC always demand that the important events are held at times that coincide with prime time coverage in the States.
:dev2:
So if the Olys were to come back to Europe, the big events would be held at 3 am in the night. Poor athletes. *rolls eyes* ;-)

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
It is not about skating per se. US based NBC Universal bought the rights to broadcast the whole of the Olympics in prime time in the US and over Telemundo as well,and they paid a lot for the privilege. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2014/05/07/nbc-olympics-broadcast-rights-2032/8805989/

$963 million for 2018 alone and 7.75 billion dollars for Olympics through 2032 more recently.

This is kind of skeevy, I suspect.

Oh, sorry, I should have made it clear: I am aware that it isn't a skating deal, but an Olympic one. I just feel that the effects of it- that sports where other countries have a much stronger presence than the US don't get to have their own countrymen see it live when the timing would normally mean they would and even more the actual hosts don't!- suck. I of course realise that this is about money. It always is about money. Still, I hate it.

It isn't as if the US fans get the best experience, from what I hear. My friend that moved to the US says that she never appreciated the BBC as much as when she, soon after her move, had to sit through an Olympics on US TV. With the ads coming what felt like every 2 minutes and coverage that seemed to forget most of the rest of the world existed a lot of the time, it drove her mad.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Absolutely. NBC does a craptastic job. Oh for coverage like the ABC coverage of the 1988 Olympics, or of the BBC.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Simone Biles and Katie Ledecky perform the way they have in the last few years they will both by the end of the Olympic games become Olympic legends.

padme21

On the Ice
Have you seen Kohei Uchimura's new haircut? What do you think? Like or dislike. Me I hope he lets it grow back out for the Olympics in Rio.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Have you seen Kohei Uchimura's new haircut? What do you think? Like or dislike. Me I hope he lets it grow back out for the Olympics in Rio.

I like it SO MUCH! I want him to keep this haircut. Before you couldn't even see his eyes sometimes. :biggrin:

MalAssada

Medalist
Bumping this thread. Last week there were new tickets avaliable, and I FINALLY got my Artistic Gymnastics one. I will watch the women event finals of Vault (least favourite), Bars (favourite!) and men event finals of Floor and, I think, Pommel Horse. Is anyone going?

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
Bumping this thread. Last week there were new tickets avaliable, and I FINALLY got my Artistic Gymnastics one. I will watch the women event finals of Vault (least favourite), Bars (favourite!) and men event finals of Floor and, I think, Pommel Horse. Is anyone going?

Mee, and I will go to the same Session as you!!

MalAssada

Medalist
It will be great to have a fellow GSer there!
Gosh, I do hope I can see everything back at the D category...