Best skaters who won only one world title | Golden Skate

Best skaters who won only one world title

glorybox6

Final Flight
Not that it's even fair to say "only one world title" of course, but the Midori video in the Scheherazade thread (of her stunning '89 NHK LP) had me thinking of how remarkable it is, looking back, that one of the sport's best-ever jumpers and a generally incredible all-around skater just won the one world title.

Of course, figures (and inconsistency) were huge reasons why Ito didn't repeat, but I was wondering what other skaters really stuck out in a similar way for other folks -- skaters who probably stand among the sport's legends who, perhaps, had they had skated in a different era under different rules or had better luck injury-wise, etc., may have been one of those types that dominated a quad and won three or four titles?

A few other names that stuck out for me:

Usova/Zhulin ('93) -- lucked out by being Russia #2 to K/P then having to deal with G/P surging in '94, not to mention going up against the Duchesnays' innovation making mostly everyone look dull by comparison. I'd also argue they didn't always get the best material, too, ('94 FD). But surely one of the better Russian dance teams of all time, in my book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imx7xxl0TK8

Denise Biellmann ('81) -- of course, figures impacted her career negatively, but I feel like her legacy extends far beyond one world title. Not only with her namesake spin, but also the longevity of her career and her eccentric approach to skating. No one takes risks like her anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrI-L34_Jh0

Dorothy Hamill ('76) -- another sort of obvious one to me. Her spins and elegance (and classic hair style, of course) make her a clear legend. I'm not as familiar with this era, so I'm not sure why she came up short multiple times at other worlds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlenY92HjlA

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Two of the greatest skaters ever, Janet Lynn and Toller Cranston, *never* won gold.
Due to rules, which were changed as a result.

Greatest with only one: no doubt, John Curry.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat

They won the Olympics two years later, but only one Worlds (2000). They could have won four. Their results in 1999 and 2001 were close, and they opted to retire in 2002 prior to Worlds.

Weathergal

Medalist
The biggest one for me is Daisuke Takahashi, who won his World title in 2010. An amazing skater and one of my all-time favorites.

Other notables:
Brian Joubert 2007
Yuzuru Hanyu 2014
Volosozhar/Trankov 2013

But obviously the last two more might still earn more!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Brian Orser was second four times and third once at Worlds, he has two Olympic silver medals, but the only World Championship that he won was in 1987.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can't imagine which skater comes to mind............Maria Butyrskaya!!! Not just because I love her but, because she really had to fight to keep her spot on the Russian Team after they dropped her for not qualifying in 1993. She was basically an old lady by the time she won her only World Title in 1999. She also has two Bronze Medals and a Small Gold Medal for winning the Short Program at Worlds in 2000. She also finished 4th in 1996 and 2001.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Midori Ito
Chen Lu
Oksana Baiul

Jamie Salé / David Pelletier

Marina Anissina / Gwendal Peizerat
Oksana Domnina / Maxim Shabalin
Isabelle Delobel / Olivier Schoenfelder

RABID

Final Flight
My post didn't go through so I hope this isn't a double post but.. Caro. she was a full member of that triad which include Yuna and Mao and unlike those two ladies she only has one championship to her name ( I think Stephan Lambiel inferred that she was the best of the them).

mrrice

Record Breaker
My post didn't go through so I hope this isn't a double post but.. Caro. she was a full member of that triad which include Yuna and Mao and unlike those two ladies she only has one championship to her name ( I think Stephan Lambiel inferred that she was the best of the them).

Caro should have been a speed skater. She was fast as lightening.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
First to come to mind is Midori Ito who has already been mentioned, other ones are Carolina Kostner, Lu Chen, Shizuka Arakawa.

Donald Jackson (when he landed the first 3Lz in competition!)
Petra Burka (first woman to land the 3S at Worlds)
Karen Magnussen (last year they awarded solid gold medals)

are very notable Canadians I know of who only have one. Jeffrey Buttle also has only one.

jcoates

Medalist
Petrenko and Lysacek also only won one gold, but they also won all the major titles available at least once at some point or other during their respective careers. Robin Cousins is another one of the greats besides Lynn and Cranston to never win a world gold.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Petrenko and Lysacek also only won one gold, but they also won all the major titles available at least once at some point or other during their respective careers. Robin Cousins is another one of the greats besides Lynn and Cranston to never win a world gold.

How many skaters have Olympic Gold Medals yet, don't have a National Title? The Only skater I can think of is Sarah Hughes. Robin Cousins didn't ever win Worlds but, he was the British and European Champion before winning his OGM.

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
How many skaters have Olympic Gold Medals yet, don't have a National Title? The Only skater I can think of is Sarah Hughes. Robin Cousins didn't ever win Worlds but, he was the British and European Champion before winning his OGM.

The first person who came to mind is Alexei Yagudin. He has an Olympic gold medal and won nearly everything else (often numerous times), including GPF, Euros, and Worlds but never Russian Nationals. He does have several silvers.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
The first person who came to mind is Alexei Yagudin. He has an Olympic gold medal and won nearly everything else (often numerous times), including GPF, Euros, and Worlds but never Russian Nationals. He does have several silvers.

Really!!!!!!! I wonder who kept beating him................:devil: I think his last name starts with a P........;)

Last edited:

glorybox6

Final Flight
Other notables:
Brian Joubert 2007
Yuzuru Hanyu 2014
Volosozhar/Trankov 2013

But obviously the last two more might still earn more!

Yeah, I was going to include Hanyu but I have a feeling that might not hold true for too much longer (who knows though)!

Also, Takahashi is still such a joy to watch skating. This program from last week at Ice Legends is so good! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkSxxV4ewT8

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not that it's even fair to say "only one world title" of course, but the Midori video in the Scheherazade thread (of her stunning '89 NHK LP) had me thinking of how remarkable it is, looking back, that one of the sport's best-ever jumpers and a generally incredible all-around skater just won the one world title.

Of course, figures (and inconsistency) were huge reasons why Ito didn't repeat, but I was wondering what other skaters really stuck out in a similar way for other folks -- skaters who probably stand among the sport's legends who, perhaps, had they had skated in a different era under different rules or had better luck injury-wise, etc., may have been one of those types that dominated a quad and won three or four titles?

A few other names that stuck out for me:

Usova/Zhulin ('93) -- lucked out by being Russia #2 to K/P then having to deal with G/P surging in '94, not to mention going up against the Duchesnays' innovation making mostly everyone look dull by comparison. I'd also argue they didn't always get the best material, too, ('94 FD). But surely one of the better Russian dance teams of all time, in my book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imx7xxl0TK8

Denise Biellmann ('81) -- of course, figures impacted her career negatively, but I feel like her legacy extends far beyond one world title. Not only with her namesake spin, but also the longevity of her career and her eccentric approach to skating. No one takes risks like her anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrI-L34_Jh0

Dorothy Hamill ('76) -- another sort of obvious one to me. Her spins and elegance (and classic hair style, of course) make her a clear legend. I'm not as familiar with this era, so I'm not sure why she came up short multiple times at other worlds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlenY92HjlA

Well Usova and Zhulin were limited in their FD choices as a result of their relationship issues - they could not do the romantic stuff which they were good at as it was too hard. And I agree, about Ito but I might make Mrrice happy and add his skating wife, Maria Butyrskaya. I liked her because she skated as herself as a woman whereas while Kwan was great she sometimes was a girl skating like a woman. I think Salt Lake City stars B and S and Sale and Pelletier also are worth mention(I believe they only won world title each but both were simply wonderful. The biggest one that I think who should be on the list is Brian Orser and his compatriot Jeffrey Buttle - both had such wonderful style and skating skills. Babilonia and Gardner, I looked them up should be added too. They were truly innovator as well.

sarama

Medalist
Caro. she was a full member of that triad which include Yuna and Mao and unlike those two ladies she only has one championship to her name ( I think Stephan Lambiel inferred that she was the best of the them.)
Oh Stéphane is so biased by his friendship:biggrin:! Anyway I love all three ladies and I believe their basically 8 year dominance of the sport was well deserved. Who is/was the best is tough to say, they are all so different but incredibly good....anyway I agree that Carolina could have won more world titles but consistency issues really affected her career, though in 2008 I don't think her winning would have been a scandal!