2016-2017 State of U.S. Men Figure Skating | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 State of U.S. Men Figure Skating

ice coverage

Record Breaker
With all due respect to Jeremy, isn't this the same old song he's been singing for the last two years?

To me, the point of the article is that Jeremy is keeping the door open ...which is fine by me. No harm, no foul.

Meryl and Charlie also are still keeping the door open ... which is fine by me as well.

Will we see any of them competing in 2017-18? I dunno. But stranger things have happened.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Interesting that the article didn't mention Jeremy's chronic underperformance in major international championships, including the last Olympics. Unless he understands why he wasn't able deliver in those situations and is able to correct it, not sure what the point would be in coming back.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting that the article didn't mention Jeremy's chronic underperformance in major international championships, including the last Olympics. Unless he understands why he wasn't able deliver in those situations and is able to correct it, not sure what the point would be in coming back.

:agree:

I do not understand why Jeremy feels he needs to come back, it does not appear he *wants* to come back. Retiring can be a very difficult decision (I know ;) ), but you make it and move on.

If Davis and White come back to competition, I'll buy everyone on this board a beer. Hit me up next time you're in town.:biggrin: I wish I could say the same about Jeremy...

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I imagine that the point would center around love of figure skating and love of competing.
He seems well aware that becoming a serious contender again would be an uphill battle.

I'm sure that the USFS International Committee remembers Jeremy's results as well as anyone else.
If he really does come back, it will be up to the committee whether to give him a precious assignment to the Olympics and/or Worlds -- or not.
Not up to any of us in this thread.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I imagine that the point would center around love of figure skating and love of competing.
He seems well aware that becoming a serious contender again would be an uphill battle.

I'm sure that the USFS International Committee remembers Jeremy's results as well as anyone else.
If he really does come back, it will be up to the committee whether to give him a precious assignment to the Olympics and/or Worlds -- or not.

It should be an automatic "absolutely no" even at this point. He's had many, many, MANY times to garner results and prove himself and it's never happened. Well, maybe that ONE time half a decade ago.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Jeremy is just leaving his options open-same as last year. Nothing has changed. He didn't say he's coming back next year. He said last year he needed two different quads to come back. That was mentioned in the interview again.

He's training. He does enter professional competitions -he actually won one of them last year.

Someone interviewed him and asked about his plans. He plans to train. He's not "threatening" to come back. He's just not saying Never Ever. (Just like Davis/White)

He's been giving clinics and performing in shows. He seems to be moving into the next phase of his skating career just fine.

Now, if hell freezes over, and pigs fly, and he gets the two quads solid.....

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Obviously it's not up to me or anyone else here to decide whether Jeremy should return to competition or be selected for the Olympic team.

But I find it striking that there's no discussion in the article of why he stopped competing, what he's learned about himself in the past couple of years, and why he might want to return, beyond the fact that he's not "over the hill" and has "a lot to offer figure skating." It could simply be that he wasn't asked - but the article leaves me with the impression of someone who either (1) isn't seriously considering returning; or (2) still wants those elusive World and Olympic medals but is unlikely to get them - despite having all the talent in the world - because he doesn't understand why he failed in the past.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Jeremy had interviews where he talked at length about his issues with mental focus while competing, his may years of sports Psychology, and how his programs were designed with designated spots for him to refocus.
He also was dealing with chronic pain and injury.
And, towards the end, a lack of 2 quads.
If he competed at Worlds the way he practiced, he'd be a World Champ.
He was well aware of his challenges. Well aware.

concorde

Medalist

Isn't this true of a lot of skaters, not just Jeremy? Gracie jumps into my mind as another candidate.

In my way of thinking, why would Davis and White want to come back? I assume they achieved all if their goals. If they come back now and don't do as well, people will be critical of them for trying. I see nothing wrong with ending on a high note - I think Tara had the right idea. My guess with Jeremy is he did not achieve all his goals so that is why there is still a "pull" to compete again.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Jeremy had interviews where he talked at length about his issues with mental focus while competing, his may years of sports Psychology, and how his programs were designed with designated spots for him to refocus.
He also was dealing with chronic pain and injury.
And, towards the end, a lack of 2 quads.
He was well aware of his challenges. Well aware.

I'm sorry - I don't mean to be negative. Jeremy is extremely talented and if he wants to return to competition and try for an Olympic berth, it's not for me to say he shouldn't. It's possible that this interview was just intended as a brief "where are they now" kind of piece, and that's why it didn't go into more depth. Perhaps an interview addressing some of these issues would be more appropriate a year from now, if he does in fact decide to compete in the 2017/2018 season.

However, the question remains for me: if Jeremy is as well aware of his issues as you say, and he attempted - for the most part unsuccessfully - to address them while he was actively competing, what has changed? Have his 18 months away from active competition now enabled him to consistently apply sports psychology techniques so that he'll be able to overcome those hurdles when he returns to competition?

And as to the chronic pain - I've heard that was the case, and that's an awful thing to deal with. But has it now resolved and will his "reinvented" technique prevent the problems from reoccurring? If not, it's hard to see how his body at 32 could take the punishment of training multiple quads during the stress of an Olympic year.

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Time for Jeremy to move on. I always enjoyed his skating, but I just don't see the logic in him trying for an Olympic berth. The mental/emotional strain would be just as difficult as the physical.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
We'll all get a taste of Jeremy's status later this week at Japan Open.

A comeback after time away is difficult. But it can be done. Todd Eldridge did it in 2002 and Brian Boitano did it in 1994, a decade after his last Olympics!

Last edited:

centerpt1

On the Ice
I just wish there were pro competitions in the US so l retired skaters had a chance to compete -and fans had a chance to see them compete again, without the rigors of eligible competition.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I just wish there were pro competitions in the US so l retired skaters had a chance to compete -and fans had a chance to see them compete again, without the rigors of eligible competition.

I doubt it as the popularity of the sport is not enough to support any pro competitions that previously existed.

musicfan80

Medalist

I doubt it as the popularity of the sport is not enough to support any pro competitions that previously existed.

Unfortunately, everything on TV these days have so much more competition when it comes to ratings. Ratings are precious considering what $$$$ networks want to get from advertising. Even most new TV shows will get cut by 6-8 episodes if they don't "prove themselves" in popularity.