2016-2017 State of U.S. Men Figure Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 State of U.S. Men Figure Skating

lyndichee

Medalist
Jason Brown did not compete at the Broadmoor Open. I'm guessing he just wasn't quite ready after his vacation. It isn't unusual for skaters to register for summer competitions and then discover their programs aren't at a competition level yet.

Maybe his body is just adjusting and not ready for competition yet. His programs are ready and at competition level since he already performed them at TCC.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... After having a look at the group picture, I am wondering if that is Angela Wang in the very front row on the right? If so, she sure is tiny. ....

I love Angela, but do not think that she is in the photo.

And I would venture to guess that all the skaters in the front row are quite a bit younger than Angela. Among them are Tessa Hong (age 14), Ashley Lin (age 13), Ashley Kim (age 13), and Alysa Liu (age 10), who won Intermediate Ladies at 2016 Nats.

I agree 100% when you say that Max may have attended to help support the event. There are a lot of people, like myself, who would have attended this event just to meet Max even if he didn't skate. I think we sometimes forget the impact that these skaters have on their fans. Just hearing them say hello can leave an impression that lasts for years. ...

:agree: I too would have jumped [no pun intended ;)] at the chance to see and/or meet Max.
The few skaters whom I have had the pleasure of meeting each made a lasting -- and very positive :) -- impression on me. Having a one-on-one connection with them (however briefly) made me like them even more than I already did.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What does ISP stand for?

It stands for the International Selection Pool chosen by US Figure Skating.

USFS holds a number of high performance summer camps -- for singles skaters; for pairs; and for ice dancers:

This particular one was held for the first time in 2015, IIRC. It seems to be modeled after Champs Camp, except that participants are non-GP singles skaters.

This year's blurb:
U.S. Figure Skating ISP Singles Camp
Date: June 25-28, 2016
* Held in conjunction with the Broadmoor Open. Offered to all ISP singles athletes who are not guaranteed a Grand Prix assignment. Athletes will receive on ice technical feedback, one on one sport performance sessions and on ice performance sessions.

musicfan80

Medalist
This particular one was held for the first time in 2015, IIRC. It seems to be modeled after Champs Camp, except that participants are non-GP singles skaters.

This year's blurb:
U.S. Figure Skating ISP Singles Camp
Date: June 25-28, 2016
* Held in conjunction with the Broadmoor Open. Offered to all ISP singles athletes who are not guaranteed a Grand Prix assignment. Athletes will receive on ice technical feedback, one on one sport performance sessions and on ice performance sessions.

So, being that neither Ricky Dornbush or Joshua Farris, are we to assume that they could be getting a GP assignment or only getting Senior Intl. Bs? I actually hope that the Senior Bs is case for both guys - I think it will be a better start in coming back from their injuries.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Maybe his body is just adjusting and not ready for competition yet. His programs are ready and at competition level since he already performed them at TCC.

Well, Max had already performed his programs at WTT last year too, but that doesn't mean he didn't have an off-season. Jason also had an off-season, including a trip to Israel that presumably involved zero skating, so it would not be a surprise if the programs (or himself) weren't ready.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Nathan Chen is scheduled to skate in the Aug 6 and Aug 27 Sun Valley ice shows, according to a local news article.

Cool off in summer with Sun Valley on Ice shows

The relevant excerpts (emphases added):

... Returning men Jason Brown, Adam Rippon and Nathan Chen have arrived as three of the top Americans. ...

Saturday, Aug. 6—Ryan Bradley, 32, the U.S. national champion five years ago. ....

For this show, Bradley is joined by Nathan Chen, 17, from Utah. Chen is returning to Sun Valley on Ice for a sixth year.

Chen is the 2016 U.S. bronze medalist, having landed an unprecedented two clean quadruple jumps in his short program, and then four clean quads in his free skate—also a U.S. first.

Saturday, Aug. 27—Gracie Gold, 20, who placed fourth in the 2014 Olympic women’s singles event ....

Nathan Chen will also return for Gracie Gold’s show. ...

That said, Nathan is not (yet??) named on Sun Valley's own pages:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Wow, @golden411, that's really interesting! Great news that he's far enough along in his recovery that he will be skating in Sun Valley. Fortuitous timing, too, since Grand Prix decisions are being made even as we speak!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan Chen is scheduled to skate in the Aug 6 and Aug 27 Sun Valley ice shows, according to a local news

I hope Nathan is ok and isn't rushing it. He is our future.:agree: He was so exciting at Nationals, and then it was so sad that he hurt himself in the EX.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
So now that we have the GP assignments I think we can look at some stuff.

Max Aaron is the red-headed step child again with less than great draws. I would call SC and COC the hardest of the lot and Max has COC. He also has COR with both Koylada and Javi... the highest of each seed. This sucks for him.

Looking at the assignments, I think USFSA is looking at how of Adam, Jason and Nathan are numbers one and two.

Adam and Jason go up against each other at SA then each have to face Nathan later that season. I think whoever comes out on top at SA will get one world spot. I also think that if Nathan beats each of them he will get a worlds spot. If both Jason and Adam beat Nathan, I think the world team will be Adam and Jason unless Nathan wins US Champs... in that case number one at SA goes. The random factor is someone unexpected winning nationals. The trend is the silver medalist to win the next year... so GO MAX AARON.

Honestly SA, TDF and NHK are not bad draws and about equal in terms of competition. Jason and Adam actually have decent chances to make the GPF if they are the top American at each of their events. Nathan could do it, but i think he has a slightly harder task.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh Joshua, Thank you for putting your heart and sole into skating. You have been an absolute joy to watch over the years. I have watched you since you were a junior and I will always be a fan. My late partner always called you "Baby Brian" after Brian Boitano and like Brian, I'm sure you'll go onto to a successful post skating career.

Brian with his cooking and you, with your guitar and beautiful voice. Call Ed Sheeran and set up a duet ;) I'll be watching.

OK People, I just found my "I Love Josh T-Shirt". The one I was wearing when I crashed into Jason Brown ;) I think I'm gonna hang it on my wall of fame next to my Wife Maria Butyrskaya and Brian Boitano.

Last edited:

apons575

Rinkside
I ask everybody, if you had to pick the men's world team for 2017 right now...who would you pick?
I would pick Max Aaron and Nathan Chen, since they have consistent quads, and have the best chance to regain the third spot for 2018. Both skaters need to work on their presence on the ice, but they are both technically the strongest right now. My alternates would be Adam Rippon and Jason Brown, since they both bring the artistry and nuances.
The main concern for the men this year should be to get that third spot back! I BELIEVE I BELIEVE!!! :hap10:

Skye

On the Ice
This must have been a very painful, albeit smart decision for Joshua to make. I do hope he can find joy and passion in whatever path he chooses to take in the future.