Favorite Children's Books | Golden Skate

Favorite Children's Books

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Got this idea from my LHOTP thread...

other than the LHOTP books what are/were your favorite children's books?

One of my favorites is the War With Grandpa. I have re-read that book so many times and it's still funny!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I remember that I read a lot of My Friends from different countries, like Mexico. I just loved those books that told you about people from other countries. I don't remember the exact names. Wish I had know about LHOTP.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
So many.........my favs are:
1. "Little House on the Prairie" series
2. "Anne of Green Gables"
3. "Sideways Stories From Wayside School" series
4. "Clown of God" by Tomi DePaolo
5. "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein

Favorite authors: Bill Peet, Mercer Mayer, Virginia Lee Burton, Jack Perlutsky....just to name a few......42

bronxgirl

Medalist
The Black Stallion! (and the series that followed of course), but there was nothing that compared to a horse craving girl in the big city like the story of the Black and Alec. :love:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Eloise
Peter Spier's Rain, Christmas, and People
Blueberries for Sal
Make way for Ducklings
Millions of Cats
Why Mosquitoes buzz in peoples ears
The Polar Express
The Brambly Hedge Series, especially the secret staircase
Angelina Ballernia
The Nimh Series
The Chronicles of Narnia
Bartholomew and the Oobleck
The Madeline Lengle sp? series
Anything by Eric Carl
Holly and Ivy
Misty of Chincotuege
Tuck Everlasting
The Indian in the Cubard
Call of the Wild
Night of the Twisters

Thats just scratching the surface for me... I may add more later

Pookie

Final Flight
I love the "Anne of Green Gables" books although I didn't read them till I was an adult.

Nancy Drew mysteries was my favorite of all.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I always liked the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series. (Serieses? Serii??) Tho I think at some point they tinkered with a few of the Nancy Drews because in 3rd grade I read the ORIGINAL edition of "The Hidden Staircase" and thought the last portion when she was going through the staircases was cool, then a few years later I re-read (or so I thought) and they had completely changed the last half; the staircase sequence was not nearly as long and it didn't even dump out in the same place. :mad:

My favorite, tho, was the Tintin series. They were almost impossible to get in this country back in those days, though; you really had to look for them.

A children's book I still enjoy, mainly because it's just so clever, is something called "C D B!" by William Steig. It's a collection of drawings that are captioned entirely with just groups of letters. For example, these 2 little girls are fighting and one says "I 8 U!" and the other says "I 8 U 2!!", or a couple of kids are looking in this big cardboard box and one says "S M T". There's still a few of them I'm not entirely sure what is supposed to be being said!! :confused:

kemy

Rinkside
"Little House" books
Anne of Green Gables and the rest in the series
Encyclopedia Brown series
All of the Shel Silverstein books of poetry
Amelia Bedelia Books
Berenstein Bears
Arthur
Where the Red Fern Grows

Chele615

Rinkside
Babysitter's Club all the way!!!
Amelia Bedelia
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle
The Wayside School series
You Shouldn't Have to Say Goodbye ~ I read this in the 6th grade as part of my summer reading requirement and I will still reread it every now and then.
Judy Blume books
The Ramona series
Superfudge

heyang

Record Breaker
Judy Blume books
Beverly Cleary books
Anne of Green Gables series
All In the Family series
Rosalyn DuJardin books (ie Wait for Marcy)
Betsy, Tacy & Tib series

Most of these were 1st published before I was born, but I discovered them while just browsing the shelves.

I also read the 1st 55 Nancy Drews, but none really stand out for me. I heard that they were being re-edited to make Nancy more up to date with regard toward to her relationships with friends and home life (ie. what car she drives, etc.)

Antilles

Medalist
My favourite author of all time is Roald Dahl (The BFG, The Witches, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the Twits, George's marvellous medicine etc). I am always amazed by people who can write novels for children. Since kids tend to have shorter attention spans, I think it's great that an adult author can put themselves in a kid's shoes.

I also loved Judy Blume. I love her adult books, too. There is also a Canadian author who is hilarious-Gordon Korman. He wrote his first book (which was published) as a grade 7 project. Talk about early talent.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!!!

How in the world could I have forgotten THAT one? I was totally into that one; I wanted to be Charlie Bucket! (Tho, of course, with a much better parental situation...)

I also remember a book called The Little Grey Men. I have no idea at this late date who wrote it, but it was about these gnomes (I think they were gnomes) and their adventures. I remember I loved it, but can't remember much these days beyond the names of the characters.

Spinner

Rinkside
Chele615 said:
Amelia Bedelia
OMG!!! I loved these books as a kid. I'd rotflmao every time I'd read one. I think my mom still has all of them in her garage somewhere. ;) My all-time fave kids book is Charlotte's Web. Great love story. :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Make Way For Ducklings
Yertle the Turtle (my favorite Dr. Seuss book)
Eric Carle's books
The Ramona series (Beverly Cleary)
The Secret Garden
Amelia Bedelia
Mathilda
Wayside School series
The Indian in the Cupboard
Half-Magic (I don't remember who wrote this book, but I loved it)
Hans Christian Andersen stories, especially "The Ugly Duckling"
Eloise, particularly Eloise in Paris
Number The Stars

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
"Thumbelina"--that was the book I kept checking out of the library when I was a child.

All of the "Madeline" books--Looking to your left, you can see that RG Jr. and I loved these books so much that we named our poochie after her (just changed the spelling and pronunciation a bit)

"Emma's Rug" - about a young artistic girl who learns about the origin of artistic inspiration, always brings a tear to my eyes
http://www.parents-choice.org/produ...ard=xx&from=Houghton Mifflin Children's Books

"If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" -- just too cute! :)

I loved all the Nancy Drew mysteries. From there I began reading Agatha Christie mysteries and never looked back.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Heyang, how could I forget "Betsy, Tacy, and Tib"......I loved those books.....thanks for refreshing that memory for me......42

Rachael

On the Ice
Stuart Little
The Chalk Box Kid
Little Women
Anne of Green Gables
The Babysitters Club
Pee wee Scouts
Little Critters
Bearstien Bears

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I loved the sweet valley series (kids, twins and high)

One of my professors in college did their thesis on the "papa bear phenomenon" basically she claimed that the father figures in literature and animated series were bafoons or easily duped and this had a negative impact on childrens perspectives.... it was interesting to stop and notice how many of the father roles were ridiculous... but I'm not sure I buy into that having an effect on children.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Nancy Drew
Trixie Beldon series, similar to Nancy Drew
My favorite book that I remember reading was Jane Eyre, to this day I want to strangle Mr. Brocklhurst. :mad: :mad: :mad: