ISU calendar of 2016/17 international comps | Golden Skate

ISU calendar of 2016/17 international comps

ice coverage

Record Breaker
ISU Communication No. 2007
Announcement of International Single & Pair Skating, Ice Dance and Synchronized Skating Competitions 2016/17 (five-page PDF)
The PDF Link is from:

A few bits I noticed from quick eye-balling:
- September 12 – 18, 2016 Mérida MEX *1st Mexican Open International* for Ladies (S, J, N) and Men (S, J, N)
ETA:
The Mexican Figure Skating Federation as organizer will rotate rinks every year as hosts in our country to give equal opportunity to different regions to have access to a high caliber international event ...
http://adienl.org.mx/comunicados/comunicados/documentos/mexico_open_corregido-1.pdf (thirteen-page Announcement, published April 20[?])​

- I don't see the Philadelphia International that took place last year. But the Lake Placid International is back.

- Paris officially announced as the location of 2016 TEB. (For 2016, previously had been TBA, France.)
Sapporo for 2016 NHK; Moscow for Rostelecom; Beijing for Cup of China. Mississauga previously announced for Skate Canada International. TBA for Skate America.​

- 2017 WTT location is not specified as Tokyo. Only "TBA, Japan."​

Last edited:

Nirti

Medalist
Another new competitions in Turkey (Erzurum Trophy in november, if it's not cancelled...), Romania (EDU Trophy in january, it would be the 3rd event in Romania next season) and the Challenge Cup is back in The Hague :)
And no Pavel Roman memorial scheduled, it's seems harder to organize an ice-dance event only!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Silly comment really, but does anybody else love the name of the Novice-only competition in France next February:

Trophée des Petits Prodiges

So cute! :luv17:

CaroLiza_fan

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Finlandia Trophy has a Pairs competition this year!

And competitions run from Thursday - Sunday (instead of the "usual" Friday - Sunday)

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Trophee Eric Bompard isn't called that, anymore, but Trophee de France.

And I am not holding my breath for the Challenge Cup in The Hague. They couldn't get it organized last year, I'll see it before believing it that they will manage this season... Plus it is badly scheduled, too early in the season. Previous years they would get a few big names because people used it as final preparation for Worlds. Now the gap, a month, is too large between the competition and Worlds. :-(

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Wow. Does that mean they lost their Eric Bompard sponsorship?

And was the "blue and white only" advertising on the boards something to do with Eric Bompard?
(I like that, makes adverts less intrusive)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Wow. Does that mean they lost their Eric Bompard sponsorship?

My guess would be "yes".

But, it is interesting that they have reverted back to the second name that the competition had, the "Trophée de France", as opposed to the original name, the "Grand Prix International de Paris".

The "Trophée de France" name was previously used when the French GP was moved out of Paris for the 1994 (Lyon) and 1995 (Bordeaux) editions.

So, is not reverting to the "Grand Prix International de Paris" name an indication that the move back to Paris for 2016 is not intended to be permanent?

Just a thought.

And was the "blue and white only" advertising on the boards something to do with Eric Bompard?
(I like that, makes adverts less intrusive)

In a word, "yes".

And I agree that they were less intrusive. Which is a good thing for us, but not a good thing for the companies that were trying to advertise their products. So, I would say that now that the Éric Bompard branding is gone, the coloured advertising banners that we see at the other ISU events will return.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Finlandia Trophy has a Pairs competition this year!

And competitions run from Thursday - Sunday (instead of the "usual" Friday - Sunday)

It seems like they have replaced the synchro SP with the pairs event.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Jun 29-30 are the dates of the GP assignments meeting, per David Molina. In NYC this year.

Trophee Eric Bompard isn't called that, anymore, but Trophee de France. ...

Thx for pointing out the more generic name on the calendar PDF. Good eyes.

FWIW, "Trophee Eric Bompard" was listed on a "pre-agenda" of 2016 dates that David Molina tweeted yesterday.

My hunch would be that he took a photo of an ISU document listing senior GPs and ISU championships??

ETA (on May 5):
But ... I see that "Trophée de France" is the name that USFS used today in its announcement re Skate America.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=89612&type=media (May 5)​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Mini-update for those wondering about the fate of 2016 Rostelecom:

Yesterday Lynn Rutherford responded to a Twitter query on that topic.

The query was: "... wondering about russian gp punishment by isu, if will happen ..."

Lynn's reply: "... Am told decisions will be taken at the next ISU meeting which I believe is in mid-September ...."

Seems that the next ISU Council meeting is Sep 9-11 in Geneva.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Non-update re Rostelecom (following up on my previous post):

Not a word about Rostelecom is in the ISU document published today re the Sep 9-10 ISU Council meeting.

ISU Communication No. 2042
Decisions of the ISU Council
The ISU Council met on September 9-10, 2016 in Geneva, Switzerland. The following were among the decisions taken by the Council during the meeting: ...
http://static.isu.org/media/389918/2042-decisions-of-the-isu-council-geneva-september-2016.pdf (three pages)​

The next ISU Council meeting is scheduled for October 14-16, 2016 in Geneva, Switzerland.​

ETA:

I glanced at the Russian fed website, and did not notice any news since Sep 10 that actively affirms that Rostelecom will go forward per usual.

Tickets did go on sale at least several days ago.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
This week's schedule is crazily jammed.

Autumn Classic, Nepela, and JGP Tallinn.

What event are you going to pick as your priority? :luv17:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
This week's schedule is crazily jammed.

Autumn Classic, Nepela, and JGP Tallinn.

What event are you going to pick as your priority? :luv17:

Autumn Classic is different time zone, so posiible to watch after Nepela or JGP. But there is also Japan Open (not sure if it will be livestreamed worldwide)! I'm going to watch Nepela, and JGP Pairs. Autumn is during night for me anyway, so along with JGP I will watch videos later :) Not sure how it will be with Japan Open.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Autumn Classic is different time zone, so posiible to watch after Nepela or JGP. But there is also Japan Open (not sure if it will be livestreamed worldwide)! I'm going to watch Nepela, and JGP Pairs. Autumn is during night for me anyway, so along with JGP I will watch videos later :) Not sure how it will be with Japan Open.

I almost forgot about JO! But unless we attend the event, none can see it live, so that would be the last. Depending on lineups, I would become a double or triple timer this time until I get really really tired or don't have enough time to follow all of them. :)

noidont

Final Flight
I can't believe people are saying there are too many European countries hosting these things. These small European countries should really be thanked for their charity since otherwise the whole junior series would go burst. NA and Asian countries (China and Korea basically) don't bid on hosting junior GP because they don't give a damn about events that make no money.

Celine

On the Ice
Why aren't there more Senior B events in Asia? Also, given the potential for higher attendance numbers, why don't more events combine Junior with Senior?

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I can't believe people are saying there are too many European countries hosting these things. These small European countries should really be thanked for their charity since otherwise the whole junior series would go burst. NA and Asian countries (China and Korea basically) don't bid on hosting junior GP because they don't give a damn about events that make no money.

This. People should stop complaining about small number of junior events in Asia when clearly those countries are not so interested in organizing them. Scant number of challengers etc. outside Europe has more common with traditions as some of them like Ondrej Nepela have long history.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
ISU Communication No. 2007
Announcement of International Single & Pair Skating, Ice Dance and Synchronized Skating Competitions 2016/17 (five-page PDF)
The PDF Link is from:

- 2017 WTT location is not specified as Tokyo. Only "TBA, Japan."

Update:

2017 WTT once again will be at Yoyogi National Gymnasium in Tokyo -- per the Announcement for 2017 WTT, which seems to have been posted on the ISU site on Nov 7.

I have no idea whether this update already was posted elsewhere on GS.
Just happened to notice tonight when I was on the ISU site.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Why aren't there more Senior B events in Asia? Also, given the potential for higher attendance numbers, why don't more events combine Junior with Senior?

I've been asking this question for a couple of years now. It makes perfect sense and I truly believe that combining the events serves as a motivating factor for the juniors. Could you imagine being a junior skater and getting to skate in the same event as Hanyu, Javi, or Patrick. I would have had stars in my eyes. Like Celine said, the potential for higher ratings and bigger audiences can not be overlooked.

Last edited: