ISU calendar of 2016/17 international comps | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ISU calendar of 2016/17 international comps

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Do results from Winter Universiade & Asian Winter Games count to ranking points same way as International Competitions? Or they don't count at all?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Do results from Winter Universiade & Asian Winter Games count to ranking points same way as International Competitions? Or they don't count at all?

They don't count, according to this ISU communication:

http://static.isu.org/media/99358/1629-world-standing-sandp_id.pdf

For the benefit of those who are not in the scoring team, the reason cathlen is asking this is that I have included these 2 events in the forthcoming ISU Predictions Game.

But, can I just add that I find it very odd the way the ISU classifies multi-sport events.

I can understand why the ISU may not want to include events that have restrictive rules on who can enter. For example:

• only skaters aged 17 to 28 who are registered at a University for the Universiade
  • only skaters from Asian countries for the Asian Games
  • only skaters from European countries for the European Youth Olympic Festival (EYOF)

But, at the end of the day, we have the same type of restrictive rules at championships that are included. For example:

• geographic restrictions for Europeans and Four Continents
  • citizenship restrictions for the Olympics

For example, the EYOF has the same geographic restrictions as Europeans. Yet Europeans count, and the EYOF doesn't. Here is a table summarising the differences in the two championships:

TypeLevelRestrictionsCounts
EuropeansJust Figure Skating
SeniorGeographic (just Europe)Yes
EYOFMulti-Sport EventJuniorGeographic (just Europe)No

Yet these differences are things that don’t matter when it comes to World events:

TypeLevelRestrictionsCounts
Olympics
Multi-Sport EventSeniorMust have citizenshipYes
WorldsJust Figure SkatingSeniorNoneYes
Junior WorldsJust Figure SkatingJuniorNoneYes

As these examples show, there is no consistency.

I have long advocated that all the Major multi-sports events that include figure skating should be treated the same way by the ISU. That is why I always include them in my ISU Predictions Games.

The ISU seems to think differently. But, when you look at what is included and what is not, the reasoning they give does not make sense.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Re 2017/18:

Seemingly comprehensive listings of international comps now are on the ISU site.

72 comps starting with Lake Placid Ice Dance International, 27 - 29 Jul 2017.

The 2017/18 list can be generated here:

I imagine that the ISU will be publishing the comprehensive 2017/18 PDF list soon??​

- The Philadelphia Summer International (held in 2015, but not 2016, IIRC) apparently will be back in 2017:

Philadelphia Summer International
3 - 5 Aug 2017
Philadelphia United States

- And as I posted in another thread, Team Challenge Cup apparently will return in 2018:

Team Challenge Cup
13 - 15 Apr 2018
TBA United States

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Interesting... Thanks for the info!

There will be a Finlandia (?) Cup in Belgium (?!) in November. I guess they might want to consider changing the title? :laugh: And no guesses as to which skating family will probably be in the spotlight there. Good for them, I mean, it's about time they got more recognition in their own country!
Except it clashes with the GP in France, so that could be a problem...

Also: with the Challenge Cup in the Hague being held during the last part of the Olympics, any hopes I might have of anyone interesting showing up there are already completely gone. :drama:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Having US Classic in the same time as Lombardia Trophy, and then Autumn Classic and Ondrej Nepela at the same time makes no sense to me. How am I supposed to watch all of this? And then there is JGP too.. ugh. :angry1: I wonder how it looks from skaters point of view...

Last edited:

Tallorder

On the Ice
Having US Classic in the same time as Lombardia Trophy, and then Autumn Classic and Ondrej Nepela at the same time makes no sense to me. How am I supposed to watch all of this? And then there is JGP too.. ugh. :angry1: I wonder how it looks from skaters point of view...

LOL, yes - a high class problem for fans! Certainly from the elite skaters' point of view (elite meaning those who anticipate competing twice during the Grand Prix) is that there will be options to compete at key times without having to travel as far. This helps contain costs, simplifies logistics, implies a lesser commitment of time for travel, etc. At least the absence of an overlapping Asian event option at least lends hope to the potential for some skaters from e.g., Japan to come compete, bringing along their loyal fans so that at least someone other than family and friends are in the audience. (recalling Autumn Classic a few seasons back when Yuzuru competed, I seem to recall reading about an arena which was literally busting at the seams.)