Will this be the year for Sasha Cohen? | Golden Skate

Will this be the year for Sasha Cohen?

S

SkateFan4Life

I wonder if this will be the year in which Sasha Cohen finally lives up to all of the media hype and wins the US and World titles. She obviously has the talent to win both of these championships, yet she has shown a nagging lack of consistency and/or confidence when it comes to skating a clean long program.
And, quite frankly, I've become dismayed with listening to her and her variety of coaches try to explain away her falls and miscues. Maybe she's thinking about the program too much and needs to rely on muscle memory to get her through the performance. Hopefully, Robin Wagner will help Sasha to put it all together so that she can skate from her heart and show the world her talent and grace.

One thing I have not appreciated is seeing how the media has played Sasha up as the "chosen one", and has given Michelle Kwan relatively little attention. If the media has learned anything from the past season, I hope it is to not count out Kwan in any competition. She skated a fantastic long program at the 2004 Nationals, one which probably would have won her the title, even had Cohen skated a clean long program. Just my opinion, of course.

N@d&A

Rinkside
I really hope so, but I can´t imagine a better short programe that passes over Malagueña I think it´s a master piece and has become a Tarasova signature. Anyway I don´t want to see Sasha as a copy of Sarah Huges (Sarah is more classic she skates better to ballets) and Sasha prefers stronger music that have (I don´t know how to explain, just think about malagueña and her movements) and her second Swan Lake was classic and no real Sasha´character. I hope that she doesn´t change her style because I love it.

MidnightNess

Rinkside
I've noticed the lack of media Michelle has been getting but that's really been Michelle's own doing and perhaps it's what she wants for the time being. She hasn't done any gp events and the USFSA needs to advertise a premiere skater to get the fans attention. Anyways,it really does set Michelle up as the sort of the underdog this upcoming season.

As for Sasha, I think it's a combination of factors for her. Robin is doing something right and that is making her do edge drills and work on her landings . Then there was the constant tinkering of Swan Lake throughout last season so her muscle memory never got it until Robin stripped down TT's version and made Sasha stick to it through Marshalls. I do think a major problem is her stamina. She always makes mistakes in the later half of her programs and it took the severe stripping of Swan Lake to finally do it right at Marshalls. On the other hand, COP has worked in her favor in that she didn't need 7 triples to win her gp events. However, that might change with Michelle making a return and Irina (if she's in good form). She might need more than 5 triples,depending on how the aforementioned two use COP to their advantage--and then there's Shizuka with TT on her side.
I also wonder why they don't put the 3toe at the start of her program since it's obviously her weakest jump. I mean she's fallen on it at so many important competitions. It might be a good idea for her to try that jump on fresh legs ala Michelle and her loop.
Who knows if it'll be her year..I'm not ready to count out anyone. :)

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Maybe if she's the underdog. This seems to be the year of the underdog so I don't expect Michelle to win anything for some time unless she's actually the underdog.

The Underdogs
Arakawa
Johnny Weir (Nationals)
Pair team at U.S, Nationals, I & B
Detroit Pistons
Mickelson, Garcia or whoever else that's not Tiger
Sharapova
Myskina (French Open..she's the forgotten Russian that's doesn't have blonde hair)
Any other team that's not the Yankees
Gaudio (French Open Champion)

I don't think Lance will win the Tour either.

Sure there's more but can't think of any.

Last edited:

Fossi

Final Flight
I'm gonna go out on limb and say "no." I don't think this will be the year of Sasha. Ever since '00 everyone has been saying this is the year of Sasha.

Really, and don't hate me, I think Sasha's best chance at winning Worlds was last year. It really was hers to lose, and she did just that. I don't know if she'll ever get that close again. I could be wrong. I hope I am, but if she couldn't do it last year, I don't have much faith that she ever will.

I don't think Michelle will make that time deduction mistake again, which cost her dearly in the SP. I think Ando will only improve. I think Shizuka has only just begun. And if Sarah :love: comes back....I can only dream!

lavender

Record Breaker
Fossi said:
I'm gonna go out on limb and say "no." I don't think this will be the year of Sasha. Ever since '00 everyone has been saying this is the year of Sasha.

Really, and don't hate me, I think Sasha's best chance at winning Worlds was last year. It really was hers to lose, and she did just that. I don't know if she'll ever get that close again. I could be wrong. I hope I am, but if she couldn't do it last year, I don't have much faith that she ever will.

I don't think Michelle will make that time deduction mistake again, which cost her dearly in the SP. I think Ando will only improve. I think Shizuka has only just begun. And if Sarah :love: comes back....I can only dream!

Anything is possible these days but deep down I don't think Sarah will be a factor whether she comes back or not with COP. I do think Arakawa and Ando will be a possible factor.

nymkfan51

Medalist
It's really hard to say. I agree that Malaguena was a masterpeice for her, but I certainly did not care for the watered down Swan Lake we saw at Worlds. The $64,000 question will be if Robin can put the content for COP back in Sasha's program ... plus add a 3/3 or quad ... and manage to skate clean. Sasha really needed IMO, to skate her LP's cleanly this past season when she didn't have the worry of doing the 3/3's. But even with the simpler SL, she still couldn't get the job done. I frankly don't know what to expect this season, but it will be interesting, that's for sure!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Yup, this question is like the sun: I expect to see it come up on a regular basis or my world feels upside down! :eek: :D

sk8m8

Final Flight
I also feel that it's difficult to say whethere ANY year will be Sasha's. Not because she lacks any of the neccessary componants to do so, but because there was once a now iconoclastic skater named Janet Lynn who NEVER managed a world title or Olympic gold and is still one of the most beloved and well regarded skaters of her generation. I do imagine that whatever Sasha does accomplish, we may be well talking about her flexibility and line long into the future.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree. This has been asked many times before and I have just come to think it really wasn't meant to be for her- I'm not optimistic about her having "a year", however that said I think she'll try her best to improve and maybe break out the performance of her life at maybe one event- maybe it'll just happen to be at the right place!

For me, it's not any of the coaches. She came close in Dortmund. She has the stuff.. I think she can do it. Let's see.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
Sasha's Campbell's and GP events last season were pretty darn good, and her Marshall's performance was terrific, but there wasn't a big title at stake at any of those competitions. At the really important events where there is a major title to be won, Sasha defeats herself in the FS. She has self-destructed at the 2003 and 2004 US Championships and at 2002, 2003 and 2004 Worlds.

Sasha will have her 'year' when she can overcome her inner devils.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
She came close in Dortmund.
She did? :eek: Joe, you and I must have been sitting in different arenas. :laugh:

I didn't see Marshalls, but I'm always surprised how people downplay Campbells. She showed up and an intricate, interesting LP that she performed superbly. I only remember a slight two footing on a late timed 3flip. Robin's "Swan Puddle" was a travesty IMHO, and landing a late 3 Sal vs. a 3flip? Com'on. Her performance level must have been pretty high to make that awful LP look good.

To me, next season is wide open for any of a number of gals, probably for the first time in years. Can Sasha finally put it all together when it counts. I say it's 50/50. We'll just have to wait and see.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Sasha Cohen is one of the top skaters of today, and I think that is already a big achievement for any skater. I have no doubts that her success continues next season. Whether that success includes wins e.g. in Nationals and Worlds, is another matter which also depends on judging and performances by other skaters. Personally I believe that in 2006 Olympics Sasha Cohen will be at her best. I would expect that to become a really interesting competition in ladies, as several skaters in about the same level will be battling it out.

Marjaana

Ilia Kulik photos & photolinks
http://koti.welho.com/mjylha2/index.html
Update June 14, 2004: http://koti.welho.com/mjylha2/index07i.html

Last edited:
lavender said:
Maybe if she's the underdog. This seems to be the year of the underdog so I don't expect Michelle to win anything for some time unless she's actually the underdog.

The Underdogs

Detroit Pistons!!!

I don't think Lance will win the Tour either.
Lance says himself that he's in trouble, after the fourth day. Changes in the course this year evidently don't favor him.

About Sasha, Yes! I'll go out on a limb and say This is the year of the Sasha!.

Mathman :)

Linny

Final Flight
Not in my predictions

Not in my predictions, a year for Sasha. I was at Skate America this year where she won handily. I'm not getting the appeal, even at the live contest. Seems bizarre to be so darned beautiful, yet have nothing that reaches the stands. There's an elusive quality that just can't be taught and even legendary coaches ain't gonna make it happen.

Linny

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Linny said:
I was at Skate America this year where she won handily. I'm not getting the appeal, even at the live contest. Seems bizarre to be so darned beautiful, yet have nothing that reaches the stands. There's an elusive quality that just can't be taught and even legendary coaches ain't gonna make it happen.
Linny, people love to go on and on about Sasha's beautiful presentation and inconsistant jumps, but the truth is she is a very inconsistant performer as well.

I watched her on TV for 3 years and just didn't get it. Zzzzzz

Then I saw her live at 02 Lalique, and still, I just didn't get it. Yawn.

Then I saw her live at 03 Cambells and she was stunning. A great performance that lit up the arena.

Then in the short program at Dortmund, live, she was exciting and interesting. Definately the most electric performance of the evening.

Then, in the long program at Dortmund, the evil twin sister was back. Live, that program sucked rotten eggs. Cautious, nervous, stiff and dull as dishwater.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
okay, I'll bite...

All I'll say is, she's on the right track, always focused on improving. I'd say her best is yet to come, and she's been making progress, whittling down more and more of those costly errors year after year. As Rgirl has pointed out a number of times, it took Shizuka Arakawa over half a decade to win the biggest title of the year, and Michelle did it after two years; the point is, every elite skater with the goods to take it all develops at a different pace and deals with the pressure differently, so, as Joe said, let's see.

Cheers,

Sarah

Hi, SarahMistral. I just noticed your last quote about Sasha in your signature, to the effect that when Sasha is "on" her performances are so spell-binding that even a small error can "break the spell." Does this make people more critical of Sasha than they would be of other skaters making similar errors, I wonder?

Mathman

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I agree Mathman. There are so many skaters who have trouble to skate clean but they are not as picked on regarding that as Sasha Cohen is. The fact is that there aren't many skaters who can have clean performances regularly. It just doesn't happen, those are the exception not the rule. Not even Michelle Kwan who is seen as so consistent is clean all the time. I think the only time she skated Tosca clean was at Nationals wasn't it? And the program was not very hard. It was even normal for her to struggle a little through the GP when she competed there, IIRC.

I don't think Sasha is so inconsistent as people make her to be anyway. She usually skates the SPs very well, her exhibitions programs are usually flawless too and she has skated some clean LPs and others with only minor flaws... it's not like she always falls or has meltdowns all the time like Nicole Bobek or something.

Sasha Cohen has lots of potential and is a fabulous performer, so I guess it upsets fans that she can't always skate clean the way they wished her to. Other skaters who aren't seen as talented or as good, clean programs or not won't make such a difference I guess.