Skate America returns to Chicago | Golden Skate

Skate America returns to Chicago

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
(5/5/16) - U.S. Figure Skating announced the selection of Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, Illinois (suburban Chicago), as the host venue for 2016 Skate America. Competition is scheduled for Oct. 21-23, 2016.

More

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Midwest again! :yahoo: Already got a reservation in to the hotel.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Isn't it Gracie and Jason's hometown? If they are assigned to the GP, that would be awesome, but this is highly likely to be Ashley's turn though.

carmen7077

On the Ice
I was there two years ago. Just wondering if the public transportation improved even a dime...It was a nightmare if you don't have a car with you.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And Adam's, for that matter.

I see them doing the same thing as 2014 -- they assigned both Jeremy (the reigning champ) and Jason (the hometown kid). They will probably do it again here. I'd love Nathan to get the third spot so it can be a battle royale!

That said, I can see Alexander Johnson ending up with the host pick instead, though.

Slight exaggeration, but I bet half of the 17k folks there back in '14 were separated by six-degrees (or less, really, arguably maybe three) with both Gracie and Jason.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well the rumors were true! Happy for you mid-westerners and Chicagoland folks but I won't be able to go. I think it's funny that going to a foreign country (for Skate Canada) will take less travel time by plane than if I decided to go to Hoffmann Estates.

I hope Gracie gets SA and Ashley gets SC :)

winky97

Medalist
I was there two years ago. Just wondering if the public transportation improved even a dime...It was a nightmare if you don't have a car with you.

That's kinda the nature of Chicago suburbs. You will likely find it is about the same.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Well the rumors were true! Happy for you mid-westerners and Chicagoland folks but I won't be able to go. I think it's funny that going to a foreign country (for Skate Canada) will take less travel time by plane than if I decided to go to Hoffmann Estates.

I hope Gracie gets SA and Ashley gets SC :)

:laugh2: So you're going to Skate Canada and more Ashley's fan than Gracie's.

ozmodiar

On the Ice
I wonder if they are trying to drum up interest for Chicago to eventually host Nationals. This is essentially 3 years in a row (Milwaukee is only 90 minutes away, plus Synchro Nationals is at Rockford next year) for an area that had been previously void of high level skating competition for many decades.

The Blackhawks are building a new practice facility containing two rinks a couple of blocks from the United Center that would be a great situation for Nationals. I think that's scheduled to open in late 2017.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So much for getting anything in the West. Not happy.

I'm calling it now. Skate America in Las Vegas in 2017!! :D

I think another reason Chicago/Milwaukee/Detroit keep getting events is because they probably have great organization committees via the really strong skating communities there. Chicagoland seems to have a trillion skating clubs in the area full of people who are willing to volunteer to help out.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:laugh2: So you're going to Skate Canada and more Ashley's fan than Gracie's.

You got me there, lol.

But going to SC b/c it's cheaper and closer for me. I'll be happy with whomever skates there, even if Gracie and Ashley switch or neither ends up there.