Skate America returns to Chicago | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skate America returns to Chicago

ozmodiar

On the Ice
I've only been to Lou Malnati and the pizza was huge and delicious, the crust was fantastic. Are the others better?
Sorry for off topic :give-up:

I also like Pequod's and Pizano's (Pizano's is also from the Malnati family). Not really a fan of Giordano's.

Alright, Husband and I reserved Marriot hotel near the arena. Any idea on the ticket price?

winky97

Medalist
I also like Pequod's and Pizano's (Pizano's is also from the Malnati family). Not really a fan of Giordano's.

I'm with you. I actually used to like Giordano's, but over the last few years have grown to really dislike it.

Jem X

Rinkside
Back to the hotdogs; the important thing to remember is that a Chicago dog NEVER has ketchup! Usually onions, mustard, relish, tomatoes, lettuce, pickle, celery salt, (I skip that) and maybe sport peppers.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Hey guys - as a long-time Chicago area resident, I just wanted to mention that the Sears Centre is about 35 miles from downtown and I don't think it has a Metra (commuter train) stop, so getting into the city will require a bit of time and effort. If you plan to attend all the events and practices, you won't have a whole lot of time in between. Net net, I f you want to experience the "real" Chicago you might want to plan for an extra day to go into the city. If you're into malls and shopping there is a major shopping center fairly close - Woodfield Mall. And if you're into outlet malls, Fashion Outlets of Chicago is not too far. Best if you have car though. Any questions, ask away!

Thanks for the thorough information about Chicago dog Guys :thank: I checked Portillo's website and those beef sandwiches are so :love::love::love:

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm calling it now. Skate America in Las Vegas in 2017!! :D

I think another reason Chicago/Milwaukee/Detroit keep getting events is because they probably have great organization committees via the really strong skating communities there. Chicagoland seems to have a trillion skating clubs in the area full of people who are willing to volunteer to help out.

Las Vegas would be a great place for a competition and I believe they're building a new arena. Getting there from anywhere in the states is relatively cheap, lodging is cheap, food is cheap. I'm all for it!!! Mrs. P - we'll meet for lunch! :agree:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Well, this is a no brainer for me! Not going. Two days, $1500....nope. I did enjoy Milwaukee but I had never been there and they have a beautiful lake front, and nice old buildings. And easy transportation.
How was the attendance at the last SA there???? Someone must have made money....
Chris born and raised in Downers Grove, ILL.

LeReveur

On the Ice
I'm calling it now. Skate America in Las Vegas in 2017!! :D

I think another reason Chicago/Milwaukee/Detroit keep getting events is because they probably have great organization committees via the really strong skating communities there. Chicagoland seems to have a trillion skating clubs in the area full of people who are willing to volunteer to help out.

Dear readers: this might not be public information, but I am curious: is the situation something like just one skating club must express sufficient willingness/ability to host a Skate America event, do various clubs in a region band together to show their interest, or does it work some other way? Also, especially since Chicagoland did not have any big events for a very, very long time: what has happened since 2014 for it to get two Skate Americas? Which club (or clubs)... or which reasons account for the event being returned to Hoffman Estates?

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dear readers: this might not be public information, but I am curious: is the situation something like just one skating club must express sufficient willingness/ability to host a Skate America event, do various clubs in a region band together to show their interest, or does it work some other way? Also, especially since Chicagoland did not have any big events for a very, very long time: what has happened since 2014 for it to get two Skate Americas? Which club (or clubs)... or which reasons account for the event being returned to Hoffman Estates?

Thanks for any insight.

Sam Auxier (from suburban Chicago) has been a first V.P. of the USFSA for the past 5 years. I feel like I read (in 2014) in the Chicago Tribune that it was a goal of his to bring competitions to the Chicago area. The United Center (where the Bulls and Hawks play) was never considered desirable mainly because it would be too difficult to get enough volunteers there. Suburban Chicago has tons of skating clubs, and in 2013(?) they tried out the Sears Center in Hoffman Estates for the Synchronized Skating Championship competition and were pleased with how it went. The fact that it's near a major international airport (O'hare, everyone's favorite :laugh2:--NOT!) doesn't hurt either. To me, the biggest disadvantage is you almost have to have a car...Tickets go on sale June 3 at 11 am ET, and I think the list of invited skaters comes out in the end of June.

Last edited:
If they invite Ashley I would be so happy but even if they invite Gracie and Ashley goes to SC I'd still be thrilled to see Anna live (because I don't think they invite Evgenia). Pretty sure they won't invite Yuzuru which is so heartbreaking for me but at the same time relieving. I can enjoy watching FS without my heart beating 500 bps. On the other hand, there is a high probability that Javier goes to SC and TEB. So, it's still exciting to witness Boyang's huge 4Lz+3T in person. If Nathan be there, we can witness the beginning of a new rivalry in men's FS. Also, Shibutani's are so sweet, the icing on the cake. Overall, I'm so happy.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm happy it's at the Sears Center again. It had MUCH more selections of food than the Panther Arena. Also the Sears Center is a nicer venue.

Like seriously Panther Arena, not everyone likes hot dogs and the pizza was burnt.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, this is a no brainer for me! Not going. Two days, $1500....nope. I did enjoy Milwaukee but I had never been there and they have a beautiful lake front, and nice old buildings. And easy transportation.
How was the attendance at the last SA there???? Someone must have made money....
Chris born and raised in Downers Grove, ILL.

Is it $1500 pricing it out yourself or buying some kind of package?...Attendance was pretty good but not great. It was very well organized. Very appreciative audience with quite a few international spectators. A highlight for me was Tatsuki Machida from Japan. He was incredible.

Last edited:

LeReveur

On the Ice
Sam Auxier (from suburban Chicago) has been a first V.P. of the USFSA for the past 5 years. I feel like I read (in 2014) in the Chicago Tribune that it was a goal of his to bring competitions to the Chicago area. The United Center (where the Bulls and Hawks play) was never considered desirable mainly because it would be too difficult to get enough volunteers there. Suburban Chicago has tons of skating clubs, and in 2013(?) they tried out the Sears Center in Hoffman Estates for the Synchronized Skating Championship competition and were pleased with how it went. The fact that it's near a major international airport (O'hare, everyone's favorite :laugh2:--NOT!) doesn't hurt either. To me, the biggest disadvantage is you almost have to have a car...Tickets go on sale June 3 at 11 am ET, and I think the list of invited skaters comes out in the end of June.

Thanks for sharing that. I agree that Hoffman Estates will leave most people disappointed if they think the Chicago area is all like that :noshake:!