Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Michael Weiss

Hybrid View

SkateFan4Life

Michael Weiss

Why, or why, is Michael Weiss continuing on as an eligible skater? Does he honestly think he can be competitive - both technically and artistically - with the current crop of top male skaters? Please. Weiss has yet to land a consistent quad lutz, nor has he managed to skate a clean long program. His "artistry" is little more than arm flailing and awkward attempts at musical interpretation.

Frankly, it says a lot about the low quality of American male skaters when someone who has obviously passed his prime still remains a medal contender at US nationals.

Custom Title
    Here we go again...

You want Weiss to go away? Then wait until someone beats him. He was behind Weir but he still finished Worlds at 6th place. The others oh-so-very-impressive-with-so-much-potential-and-so-artistic-and-so-much better-than-washed-up-Weiss American finished 16th.

You should be thankful that he's still skating otherwise you wouldn't have three spots for the Worlds next year.

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    He's probably still skating because he enjoys skating, he enjoys competing and performing for an audience. While he may not usually be able to skate flawless performances (not many skaters do, really), he's still doing well enough to be in the top 6 in the world. A few places higher and he could be a medallist again. If he can still do it, and still wants to do it, then why not? You may not like his skating, but I don't really see there's any reason why he should retire if he still wants to skate. And he clearly still has goals for himself that he wants to achieve. I say kudos to him for carrying on and trying to improve.

Why or why do we want skaters to go away once they pass puberty? Agassi, Martina,, loads of Nascar racers, baseball players at 45 stepping in as a pinch hitter, etc., etc. When youlove something, it's hard to give it up. Why do we continue to post in skating forums? Because we love to.

Let Michael know when he's had it. And maybe he'll get another world medal.

Joe

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    I think I may be speaking for many here when I say that I personally wish less that Michael would go away than I wish that he would hire himself a decent choreographer so his programs would be INTERESTING again. I don't think it's any coincidence that his results started to go downhill long about the time his programs got tedious. Tho admittedly they did get better this past season with the most tedious program of them all, so go figure.

Custom Title
    I didn't care for his LP, but I liked his SP very much, the two footwork sequences back to back in the end were very cool IMO

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    Why, or why, is Michael Weiss continuing on as an eligible skater? Does he honestly think he can be competitive - both technically and artistically - with the current crop of top male skaters? Please. Weiss has yet to land a consistent quad lutz, nor has he managed to skate a clean long program. His "artistry" is little more than arm flailing and awkward attempts at musical interpretation.

Frankly, it says a lot about the low quality of American male skaters when someone who has obviously passed his prime still remains a medal contender at US nationals.
    SkateFan4Life:

It's called experience. Michael Weiss is a "seasoned champion" - one who can be counted on when it counts. Here in Canada, we had Jennifer Robinson who pretty much kept us in the running in the ladies for a long time. Don't discount such dedicated skaters so lightly. They are great to have around. Their experience is also a great morale booster for the "newby" competitors.

Custom Title

Going Away

I also wish the MW would just go away. As an eligible, I'm sick to death of hearing about quads that he never lands.

I'm not hoping for him to join the pro ranks, either. His exhibition programs are less than entertaining at least to my eyes and ears. I've always actually found the Angel is a Centerfold song to be rather juvinile and am not surprised that MW decided that would be a good exhibition.

About the only program he ever did that excited me was his SP at World's in Washington DC to screaming guitar music... and the speed with which he slammed into that big fall on the lutz. I'd already had enough trouble forgiving him for going to Cup of Russia too soon after an injury and making a laughing stock outta himself. Then, to falter so mightily in front of the home town crowd...

His father built a gym and parlayed his athletic success into a good career. Couldn't Mikey just buy or build an ice rink and do the same?

Linny

And what has happened to Ilia Kulic? A skater who vastly improved when he got into Kurt's show. He's not there anymore?
    Kurt's show? When was he in "Gotta Skate" ? Stars on Ice has always and will forever be Scott's show.

as for them being business men... I don't think so, I think they're becoming producer/directors.... but they still rely heavily on their "agents" to do the other stuff... with the help of Disson Skating they're trying to bring pro skating back...

one big difference in pro skating is that JUMPS are not nessicerily what makes the program great... it's all about selling the routine...

Give me Kurt's Nyah over Timothy's quads any day... and I'm a fan of both.

Go NJ Devils
    In his best years at Worlds Weiss has finished 2nd in the qualis and 3rd in the SP and LP. He has never won a competition phase at Worlds. He's had to rely upon others' mistakes to medal, both at Worlds and Grand Prix; while technically "in control of his own destiny," he's never been able to take it. He's never had a program on paper that could match Plushenko's technical content -- landed routinely in competition over the last five seasons -- to say nothing of Goebel's, the reigning Olympic bronze medallist's. While he might match Honda on paper, Honda actually has landed quads that aren't two-footed. Both of these skaters were on the 2002 podium.

I would say that in this light it was arrogant of Weiss to state publically that he was renting a hummer limo to celebrate his victory at 2003 Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228
    While he might match Honda on paper, Honda actually has landed quads that aren't two-footed.
    Well, so has Weiss. He landed one in the short program at 2003 Worlds, for instance, and at a few other competitions in the past. It's not at all consistent, but he *has* done it.

To use a very old saying......"If you don't like what you see, don't watch!" Simple as that..........that's what the scan button on the t.v. (or vcr) controls are for. I for one enjoy Michael's skating. If I think a skater, male or female, is getting too full of themself, I hit the mute button. Don't you love technology? 42

Custom Title
    In his best years at Worlds Weiss has finished 2nd in the qualis and 3rd in the SP and LP.
    And those are darn good results! How many other skaters wouldn't like to have those oh so shameful results in their competitive record Just because he isn't Scott Hamilton or Brian Boitano doesn't mean he shouldn't be respected as well as his accomplishments.

Since everybody's relying on "what if's", I'm going to do the same. If Weiss didn't happen to be from the Yagudin-Plushenko era, I would bet he would be a World Champion by now.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by RIskatingfan
    And those are darn good results! How many other skaters wouldn't like to have those oh so shameful results in their competitive record Just because he isn't Scott Hamilton or Brian Boitano doesn't mean he shouldn't be respected as well as his accomplishments.

Since everybody's relying on "what if's", I'm going to do the same. If Weiss didn't happen to be from the Yagudin-Plushenko era, I would bet he would be a World Champion by now.
    I didn't argue that these were shameful results. As Joesitz asked for examples of his arrogance, I argued that it was arrogant to publicize hiring a victory wagon for a World Championships in which he was not a favorite, and didn't even have the programs on paper to be competitive with Plushenko, Goebel, and Honda.

Custom Title

I would say that in this light it was arrogant of Weiss to state publically that he was renting a hummer limo to celebrate his victory at 2003 Worlds.

How about making an announcement prior to Nationals (2003) that he bought tickets for his entire "clan" to cheer him on in DC for upcoming Worlds? Wouldn't that be classified as arrogance? Don't you need to qualify first? If he wouldn't not be the last man standing (out of the top 4) he had a strong chance of missing the Worlds all together.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast