Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 135

Thread: Michael Weiss

  1. #31
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe
    Yes, Weiss won two World bronze medals, in '99 and '00. But those were the years Todd Eldredge did not skate in the US Championships and did not go to Worlds.
    .
    In 2002 Sarah Hughes won Oly gold and everyone was skating that year. What exactly are you saying about MW?

    Joe

  2. #32
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by RIskatingfan
    There is a big difference between arrogance and self-confidence. Maybe Weiss has crossed that blurry line once in awhile, but I think modesty and being humble is something very overrated by fans of sport in general.
    Your comments are interesting. I've seen or read about MW quite differently. He is a happy husband. He is a happy father. He loves skating. He applauds the skaterrs who win over him, He does charity work.

    I f I am missing the arrogance, can you cite an example or two? I would most appreciate it.

    Joe

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    355
    Eligible skating is not skate while accepting the rules of the USFSA, is accepting the rules of the ISU. All skating federations have restrictions for pro/ eligible skaters, it's not only the American. Recently, B/S and Yagudin lost eligibility by skating in pro events, not sanctioned by the ISU. That is what means to turn pro, to stop skating in ISU sanctioned events.

    There aren't as many (known) names turning pro now because in the past professionals won tons of money in the pro world and today they win more if they remain eligible. Besides, there are so many more eligible events than pro. For a skater who wants to work, there is more possibilities to work by remaining eligible.

    Reasons why a skater should turn pro? Plenty of them. Preferring to spend their time touring and performing instead of dealing with the pressure of competitions, more time to dedicate to other projects in their lives (an eligible skater who wants to be successful needs to be fully commited), injuries that may affect parts of the skating necessary to compete but that still allow the skaters to skate and perform in the pro world... and I think something that is the essence of the pro world - not having to follow rules to build their programs. If there wasn't a pro world we would never see Kurt's Nyah.

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Your comments are interesting. I've seen or read about MW quite differently. He is a happy husband. He is a happy father. He loves skating. He applauds the skaterrs who win over him, He does charity work.

    I f I am missing the arrogance, can you cite an example or two? I would most appreciate it.

    Joe
    If that is how you read Michael Weiss' interviews then I don't see why you say you read them differently than me because I happen to agree with every word you wrote about Weiss. Perhaps you should ask your question to someone who doesn't like him and thinks he constantly puts his foot in his mouth and is arrogant? There should be no problem to find such kind of poster considering how unpopular Michael Weiss is and how it is kind of "in" to take digs at him. I, for one, am pleased to see a thread about Michael Weiss where we can actually read positive things about him.

  5. #35
    I like pie. Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,714
    If there wasn't a pro world we would never see Kurt's Nyah.
    Amen and amen! (can I use that as a quotation in my siggy? please??)

  6. #36
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    RI - From what you wrote there is no difference between 'Pro' and 'Eligible' skating except for the rules of the ISU. It is also apparent that 'Eligible' skaters earn more money than 'Pro' skaters. So the question arises, why give up money and medals, too for a low level show business touring company? If you have ever toured with a show and by bus, the first year is exciting; the second year is more like been there done that; the third year you want out. Kurt and Scott are business men now as is Katerina. They are not about to retire from that. There are few openings in that area.

    Neither Todd nor Yags wanted to give up 'eligible' but were forced to for different reasons. Yags is trying to break into the lucrative coaching field. I think Todd will give up the stardust in a couple of years. Will he coach? He may not have desire or talent for that area anymore than designing costumes.

    And what has happened to Ilia Kulic? A skater who vastly improved when he got into Kurt's show. He's not there anymore?

    I would let Irina, Michelle, Amber, Elena L, Fumie, Klimkin, Restancourt, Dmabier, and MICHAEL make their own life decisions. They really don't need our help. And if that is ARROGANCE, than so be it.

    Joe

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    355
    Tonichelle, you want to use a quote from ME in your siggy? :D How flattering LOL! Go ahead LOL!

    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    RI - From what you wrote there is no difference between 'Pro' and 'Eligible' skating except for the rules of the ISU. It is also apparent that 'Eligible' skaters earn more money than 'Pro' skaters. So the question arises, why give up money and medals, too for a low level show business touring company? If you have ever toured with a show and by bus, the first year is exciting; the second year is more like been there done that; the third year you want out. Kurt and Scott are business men now as is Katerina. They are not about to retire from that. There are few openings in that area.
    There is no difference? What difference do you want to find? It's eligible skating and professional skating. You weren't expecting them to be different as in skating to boxe, did you? Considering the rules is a great deal in what makes a sport, I would say there IS a substantial difference LOL

    As for your other musings, I made some suggestions in my above post that can work as answers. Perhaps I should add that athletes careers don't last forever. And if in skating there is the fortunate chance of make the transition from an athlete to a performer and keep doing what they love to do - skate - I think it's only a plus to the world of skating, skaters and fans.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Neither Todd nor Yags wanted to give up 'eligible' but were forced to for different reasons. Yags is trying to break into the lucrative coaching field. I think Todd will give up the stardust in a couple of years. Will he coach? He may not have desire or talent for that area anymore than designing costumes.
    Yagudin gave up eligibility because he has a serious injury, not because he wanted to rush to be a coach LOL It wouldn't be very smart of a skater of his caliber to give up eligible skating because he wanted to coach, something that he can do for the next decades. As for Todd, he made a spectacular transition to pro and the audiences seem to love him. I sure see him in SOI for many, many years. As for Kulik, he doesn't seem to be skating much these days, probably wants to dedicate more time to his family.

    BTW, still about Michael Weiss and the arrogance matter I found a thread where some posters accuse Weiss of being arrogant... maybe they will have some answers for your question, maybe not It's a poll from the other forum...

    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5782
    Last edited by RIskatingfan; 07-06-2004 at 02:08 PM.

  8. #38
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,094
    Joesitz: "In 2002 Sarah Hughes won Oly gold and everyone was skating that year. What exactly are you saying about MW?

    Everyone keeps pointing to the fact that Weiss won World bronze in 1999 and 2000. But those were the years when a better skater than Weiss -- Eldredge -- did not compete at US Nationals and Worlds.

    Eldredge won US Nationals gold to Weiss's silver in 1997 and 1998, and Eldredge won World silver in both of those years while Weiss's best placement was 6th in 1998. In 1999 and 2000, Eldredge took a holiday from eligible skating, and in his absence, Weiss won two National Championships and two World bronze medals. When Eldredge returned to eligible competition in 2001, Goebel, armed with a quad, won US Nationals gold, Eldredge won silver, and Weiss was 4th and failed to make the World team. Eldredge went on to win the 2001 World bronze medal, and Goebel finished 4th.

    What I am saying is that Weiss benefitted from Eldredge's absence when he won the '99 and '00 US Nationals and World bronze medals. During their years competing against one another, Weiss never beat Eldredge in any US Nationals, World or Olympic Championship, and not even in the Grand Prix. If Eldredge had competed, Weiss would have finished 2nd at Nationals and 4th at Worlds.

    I have no idea what Sarah Hughes has to do with anything in relation to Michael Weiss.

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe
    What I am saying is that Weiss benefitted from Eldredge's absence when he won the '99 and '00 US Nationals and World bronze medals. During their years competing against one another, Weiss never beat Eldredge in any US Nationals, World or Olympic Championship, and not even in the Grand Prix. If Eldredge had competed, Weiss would have finished 2nd at Nationals and 4th at Worlds.

    I have no idea what Sarah Hughes has to do with anything in relation to Michael Weiss.
    The point is, it doesn't matter if Eldredge competed or not. Weiss did well. You don't know what would happen if Eldredge was there, maybe Weiss would win the same LOL! You can't take the value of a skater's achievements by looking at what another skater did. Maybe Todd needed a rest and if he had competed he would have two bad seasons. Who knows.

    I can imagine what people would say if Kwan and Slutskaya didn't skate in the SLC. Everyone would be saying Sarah Hughes only won because they didn't compete. Guess what? They were all there and even though they were probably far better skaters, Sarah Hughes still won. Same thing with Weiss and Eldredge. You may think Eldredge is better, but that doesn't mean Weiss wouldn't be able to beat him in 1999 and 2000. We just can't guess because he didn't compete.

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,977
    Eldredge was also held up against Mikey in Nationals as well. I think it was '97 or one of those years when Mikey skated a spectacular long program with a slightly two footed quad and was placed 2nd to Todd despite the fact that everyone thought Mikey should have won.

    Also in 2002, I believe Goebel made the comment that the judges put Eldredge in first at Nationals because they wanted him to go into the Olympics with confidence (that didn't work). Goebel had definitely said that international judges would have scored him differently because he had the big jumps.

    Anyway, my point is it that there were lots of times that Todd was held up because he was the champion and unfortunately, this occurred during the years that Mikey was skating very well at Nationals.

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,213
    I also think it is completely unfair to take anything away from a skater's accomplishment just because one or more other eligible competitors weren't part of the competition. Todd Eldredge's brilliant showing in Vancouver was very surprising considering how he struggled through the 2000-2001 season. Certainly, he did medal at GP events....but with relatively weak performances. Mike earned his World medals in 1999 and 2000. Who can say that Todd would have been able to compete at that point and time? The "What if" game is wonderfully entertaining, but facts are facts. Mike won two consecutive World medals in 1999-2000 and Todd did not. I also find it completely ludicrous that the USFSA would hold Mike up over more deserving skaters. They didn't do it in 2001, 2002 or 2004. I mean, come on, he skated a pretty clean long program this year and his marks weren't that spectacular. He earned his place on the 2004 World Team....and the 2002 Olympic Team, and on and on, etc.

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,094
    Eldredge won two consecutive US National Championships in 1997 and 1998 and two World silver medals, competing against Weiss. Weiss won two National Championship in 1999 and 2000, and two World bronze medals, competing against Goebel. Goebel won the US National Championship in 2001 and Eldredge won silver (Weiss finished 4th); Eldredge won a much-deserved bronze medal at 2001 Worlds [the New York Times commented that for once the judges rewarded fine skating, and not just big jumps] and Goebel finished 4th.

    It's too bad that Goebel commented that HE should have won the 2002 US Championship. As I recall, Goebel and Eldredge had tied for first in the SP, but Eldredge won the FS because Goebel fell on his second quad--I guess Timmy forgot about that. The Goebel who skated in 2002 had big jumps, all right, but he was not a pretty figure on the ice, with his hunched shoulders and stiff body. He was very ungracious after losing his title to Todd. Weiss was very, very lucky to finish 3rd after being in 5th place after the SP. Many felt that Matt Savoie had outskated Mike but Mike was given the Olympic spot because of his previous World medals.
    Last edited by euterpe; 07-06-2004 at 04:10 PM.

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    788

    Going Away

    I also wish the MW would just go away. As an eligible, I'm sick to death of hearing about quads that he never lands.

    I'm not hoping for him to join the pro ranks, either. His exhibition programs are less than entertaining at least to my eyes and ears. I've always actually found the Angel is a Centerfold song to be rather juvinile and am not surprised that MW decided that would be a good exhibition.

    About the only program he ever did that excited me was his SP at World's in Washington DC to screaming guitar music... and the speed with which he slammed into that big fall on the lutz. I'd already had enough trouble forgiving him for going to Cup of Russia too soon after an injury and making a laughing stock outta himself. Then, to falter so mightily in front of the home town crowd...

    His father built a gym and parlayed his athletic success into a good career. Couldn't Mikey just buy or build an ice rink and do the same?

    Linny

  14. #44
    I like pie. Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,714
    And what has happened to Ilia Kulic? A skater who vastly improved when he got into Kurt's show. He's not there anymore?
    Kurt's show? When was he in "Gotta Skate" ? Stars on Ice has always and will forever be Scott's show.

    as for them being business men... I don't think so, I think they're becoming producer/directors.... but they still rely heavily on their "agents" to do the other stuff... with the help of Disson Skating they're trying to bring pro skating back...


    one big difference in pro skating is that JUMPS are not nessicerily what makes the program great... it's all about selling the routine...

    Give me Kurt's Nyah over Timothy's quads any day... and I'm a fan of both.

  15. #45
    Go NJ Devils
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,700
    In his best years at Worlds Weiss has finished 2nd in the qualis and 3rd in the SP and LP. He has never won a competition phase at Worlds. He's had to rely upon others' mistakes to medal, both at Worlds and Grand Prix; while technically "in control of his own destiny," he's never been able to take it. He's never had a program on paper that could match Plushenko's technical content -- landed routinely in competition over the last five seasons -- to say nothing of Goebel's, the reigning Olympic bronze medallist's. While he might match Honda on paper, Honda actually has landed quads that aren't two-footed. Both of these skaters were on the 2002 podium.

    I would say that in this light it was arrogant of Weiss to state publically that he was renting a hummer limo to celebrate his victory at 2003 Worlds.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Michael Weiss' 2005 Competitive Schedule
    By SkateFan4Life in forum 2004-05 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 08:39 AM
  2. Michael Weiss, the Grand Prix and the Olympics
    By Mathman in forum 2004-05 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-01-2005, 12:27 AM
  3. Michael Weiss' Journal
    By SkateFan4Life in forum 2004-05 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 01:58 PM
  4. What's in store for Michael Weiss?
    By SkateFan4Life in forum 2004-05 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 08:22 PM
  5. Michael Weiss' Freedom Blades
    By SkateFan4Life in forum 2003-04 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 02:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •