Michael Weiss | Golden Skate

Michael Weiss

S

SkateFan4Life

Why, or why, is Michael Weiss continuing on as an eligible skater? Does he honestly think he can be competitive - both technically and artistically - with the current crop of top male skaters? Please. Weiss has yet to land a consistent quad lutz, nor has he managed to skate a clean long program. His "artistry" is little more than arm flailing and awkward attempts at musical interpretation.

Frankly, it says a lot about the low quality of American male skaters when someone who has obviously passed his prime still remains a medal contender at US nationals.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Here we go again... :rolleye:

You want Weiss to go away? Then wait until someone beats him. He was behind Weir but he still finished Worlds at 6th place. The others oh-so-very-impressive-with-so-much-potential-and-so-artistic-and-so-much better-than-washed-up-Weiss American finished 16th.

You should be thankful that he's still skating otherwise you wouldn't have three spots for the Worlds next year.

icenut84

Final Flight
He's probably still skating because he enjoys skating, he enjoys competing and performing for an audience. While he may not usually be able to skate flawless performances (not many skaters do, really), he's still doing well enough to be in the top 6 in the world. A few places higher and he could be a medallist again. If he can still do it, and still wants to do it, then why not? You may not like his skating, but I don't really see there's any reason why he should retire if he still wants to skate. And he clearly still has goals for himself that he wants to achieve. I say kudos to him for carrying on and trying to improve.

Why or why do we want skaters to go away once they pass puberty? Agassi, Martina,, loads of Nascar racers, baseball players at 45 stepping in as a pinch hitter, etc., etc. When youlove something, it's hard to give it up. Why do we continue to post in skating forums? Because we love to.

Let Michael know when he's had it. And maybe he'll get another world medal.

Joe

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I think I may be speaking for many here when I say that I personally wish less that Michael would go away than I wish that he would hire himself a decent choreographer so his programs would be INTERESTING again. I don't think it's any coincidence that his results started to go downhill long about the time his programs got tedious. Tho admittedly they did get better this past season with the most tedious program of them all, so go figure.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I didn't care for his LP, but I liked his SP very much, the two footwork sequences back to back in the end were very cool IMO :)

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Actually, Mikey has decent presentation, but I agree with Johnny that he needs a new choreographer. Do I wish he would go away? Yes. Do I think he's consistently overmarked at competitions? Yes. Do I wish he wouldn't talk because he usually puts his foot in his mouth? Yes. But like everyone says, he keeps getting results, the judges seem to like him, so I'm guessing he's here to stay.

But if he gets held up at 2006 Nats like he did in 2002, thus keeping a deserving person off the Olympic team, I will personally dive through my TV and beat the judges senseless. :D

Laura :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thank you RI and nut for articulating what I was thinking..........as to being held up, I don't get it anytime someone says that. That means an athlete gets higher scores just because they are who they are? They still have to skate and perform the tricks. Maybe the judges see merit where we see "same old same old".........42

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
MIKE: "Honey, I think I'd like to work with a new choreographer this season, just to try something new. It's not that I don't love your work; it's just that everyone in cyberspace seems to be in agreement that your programs are not allowing me to grow artistically. In fact, the concensus seems to be that I've stagnated. Okey, dokey, now that we've got that out of the way, what's for dinner?"

LISA (dumping a bowl of hot spaghetti over Mike's head): "Here's your dinner, Skater Boy. Sure, go ahead, find a new WIFE while you're at it. Oh, and that romantic getaway we were planning for this weekend? Why don't you go by yourself? You may as well get used to solo romance--'cuz I'm outta here!"
:eek:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Why, or why, is Michael Weiss continuing on as an eligible skater?

What is there for him to retire to? I believe there are fewer openings than Olympic medalists already.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
LOL, Realtor Gal.....and that is exactly why we shouldn't expect poor Mike to change choreographers. He's painted himself into a corner on that issue! I've never been a big Michael Weiss fan, but I don't think he should leave until he is ready. He didn't really stick his foot in his mouth this year as much as he has in the past, so maybe we're seeing the end of the testosterone parade. I think having him in the mix just makes things a little more interesting. Since when is having a controversial, underperforming talent in a competition a bad thing? Anything can happen that way (well almost....I never expect him to be World Champion, but if he was stellar he could definitely medal). I'd like to see him go out with two (or three) clean skates in a competition.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
BronzeisGolden said:
He's painted himself into a corner on that issue!

Uh, yeah.... "painted"--okay! That's a nice way to say it! :laugh:

I never expect him to be World Champion, but if he was stellar he could definitely medal). I'd like to see him go out with two (or three) clean skates in a competition.

He does have two World bronze medals and I believe three National titles, and he has definitely been reliable enough to make sure the U.S. has three representatives at Worlds.

I LIKE MIKE! :love:

Kasey

Medalist
Why doesn't Weiss go away? Why doesn't Kwan go away? Why doesn't Slutskaya go away? YIKES! Who cares? If they are still competitive (And second at US Nationals and 6th at Worlds IS competitive for Mikey, thank you very much!), why not stick around? No one is tying you to a chair, stapling your eyelids open and MAKING you watch him, are they? Some skaters, for me, are "bathroom breaks". Perhaps Weiss can be that for you.

Kasey

Who ALSO likes Mike!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
Why, or why, is Michael Weiss continuing on as an eligible skater? Does he honestly think he can be competitive - both technically and artistically - with the current crop of top male skaters? Please. Weiss has yet to land a consistent quad lutz, nor has he managed to skate a clean long program. His "artistry" is little more than arm flailing and awkward attempts at musical interpretation.

Frankly, it says a lot about the low quality of American male skaters when someone who has obviously passed his prime still remains a medal contender at US nationals.

SkateFan4Life:

It's called experience. Michael Weiss is a "seasoned champion" - one who can be counted on when it counts. Here in Canada, we had Jennifer Robinson who pretty much kept us in the running in the ladies for a long time. Don't discount such dedicated skaters so lightly. They are great to have around. Their experience is also a great morale booster for the "newby" competitors.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Talking about spouses who choreograph for their spouses, doesn't Victor Petrenko's wife do just that? I know that Chris Dean put together a few numbers for wife Jill Trenary when she skated pro.........one must be careful when one decides to look outside the family for skating inspiration!! :D 42

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"Does he honestly think he can be competitive - both technically and artistically - with the current crop of top male skaters? Please."

Let's see, he's made the final warm-up group in the past 3 worlds and finshed 6th at the last one, so obviously the answer is yes. Do you need glasses or perhaps a new TV? What are you not seeing?

"Weiss has yet to land a consistent quad lutz"

Well, he's in good company there, as NO ONE has landed a quad Lutz!

"nor has he managed to skate a clean long program."

Again, in good company: i.e "possibly the greatest skater of all time". Have you also started a new thread calling for Sasha's head on a stick? I didn't see it.

Perhaps I'll try 'tape tradin' section. If world champs and Oly gold medalist B&S skated a clean LP, I missed it. Gotta get that one on tape!

"His "artistry" is little more than arm flailing and awkward attempts at musical interpretation."

Yes, isn't that the standard comeback we each have for skaters we don't like. If I had a dollar for everytime a skater whose '"artistry" is little more than arm flailing and awkward attempts at musical interpretation' won, I'd be a rich man. :laugh:

Poor Mike. Why do I get the feeling that if this very same thread was started with any other skater's name attached, the screams of "bashing!" , "troll!" , and "moderators, lock this thread and ban the poster!" would be out of control. Poor Mike. :cry:

SusanBeth said:
What is there for him to retire to? I believe there are fewer openings than Olympic medalists already.

That's a good statement. What exactly is a Pro? I don't see SOI looking for more stars except the latest Oly champ to bring in the crowds.

I think the best comments on Mike have been written in this thread. He needs a new choreographer, or his present choreographer should go in a different dfirection. He's not the greatest skater in the world but he's better than most and he has proven that in his body of work.

There are a couple of top skaters who, imo, if you take away the circus tricks, there isn't that much left..

Joe

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
That's a good statement. What exactly is a Pro? I don't see SOI looking for more stars except the latest Oly champ to bring in the crowds.
What is pro skating? It's exactly what it always was, or I should say, exactly what it was before Tonya took skating judging into her own hands.

When Scott and Roz turned pro in 84, there was no SOI. Isn't it time we stoped giving these excuses. If Steven Cousins can find a job, anybody can.

Obviously it's about lifestyle choices. If Kwan and Co want to stay eligable, that's their perogative.

euterpe

Medalist
Yes, Weiss won two World bronze medals, in '99 and '00. But those were the years Todd Eldredge did not skate in the US Championships and did not go to Worlds. Weiss finished 6th at Worlds this year, and 2nd at US Nationals. But 2003 World medalwinners Goebel and Honda were absent, Goebel due to physical problems, Honda due to injury. If both had been healthy and in form, Weiss would likely have finished behind them.

Weiss has stagnated since his World medal years. He has not only NOT landed a quad lutz, he hasn't been able to land ANY kind of quad on one foot. Lately, his 3A has been out to lunch a lot. His problem is that while other skaters (notably Joubert, Lindemann, Lambiel and Weir) have improved, Weiss has to struggle mightily to maintain the status quo.

If Goebel is healthy and back in form, Weir has a competition quad, and Lysacek and Brauninger continue to improve, Weiss will be in a dogfight for a place on the World team in 2005. But if he can make it to Worlds in 2005 (and is not held up by the USFSA judges), then he deserves to be there.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
euterpe said:
Yes, Weiss won two World bronze medals, in '99 and '00. But those were the years Todd Eldredge did not skate in the US Championships and did not go to Worlds. Weiss finished 6th at Worlds this year, and 2nd at US Nationals. But 2003 World medalwinners Goebel and Honda were absent, Goebel due to physical problems, Honda due to injury. If both had been healthy and in form, Weiss would likely have finished behind them.
:laugh: ..and Kwan only won 96 worlds because Peggy wasn't there to kick her butt, and Nixon only became president because Kennedy was dead. :rolleye: It's amazing to me what lengths people will go to to diss skaters they don't like. Don't forget, Hamil only won nats and world silvers because Lynn wasn't there. ;)

Perhaps you're right that Mike's best years are behind him and that it's only downhill from here, which is why it's all the more sadening that so many are willing to kick him while he's down. :eek:

And the "he's too arrogant" card is getting kinda tired. Weir, Plushy and Jubert ain't exactly demure wall flowers in that department either. :laugh: